PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore in the late game

goodgimp
10-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Yea, I'm starting a lot of threads lately as I'm finally getting a chance to dive into the game. Sorry if it's annoying. :)

So, question on Hardcore in the late game in Drox. I know in a lot of ARPGs I really start out enjoying hardcore early on but in the late game there's so many one-shot/instant death scenarios that it ends up turning me off. I'm really glad that Soldak offers semi-hardcore for this reason.

In the case of Drox, I'm up to the late teens or so and that's about it. I find that I have enough time and usually the tools to react and try to get away unless I get overly careless. I realize, however, that this is early times. How does it play out in the later levels? Is it like most ARPGs were death comes fast and without warning or does the pacing stay more similar to what I'm seeing so far?

Thanks for any input. I'm just deciding whether to remain on semi-hardcore or invest the time into HC instead.

Tuidjy
10-10-2013, 06:13 PM
I have three level 100 hardcore ships that are comfortable around sector level 170, and one of them has won about 30 level 200 sectors, having to abandon only one of them. (Colossal managed to get close, while the virus was not mounted, and was hitting for 3000-6000 damage per shot)

I am also trying, unsuccessfully so far, to get a hardcore Command Zero ship to level 100, and although they have all died, it does not seem impossible.

So I'd say that Drox operative is very survivable in hardcore, although the one shot kills still happen. In any case, getting a hardcore ship to level 100 is not that hard. But if you are just starting, semi-hardcore may be the way to go, at least for the first ship.

By the way, I am starting a new hardcore ship, one that is supposed to be as good as possible, and which I hope will be good up to level 300 if Shadow ever unlocks levels higher than 200. Here's a snapshot:

http://i.imgur.com/yKsVn0R.jpg

And here is a snapshot of a Command Zero chip of similar level (The attack and critical chance are extremely high because the snapshot is taken under cloak)

http://i.imgur.com/RHPYBiW.jpg