PDA

View Full Version : Question about moding sounds.

Tuidjy
10-11-2013, 01:44 AM
I would like to replace some of the sounds, starting with the "Boarding in progress" sound. I would to replace it with assault rifle bursts.

Does anyone have an idea where to start looking?

Mujik
10-11-2013, 02:31 AM
The file you'll need to change is "boardingAttack.ogg" or "boardingSuccess.ogg" in the assets002 file from the expansion... it's in the Sounds/ship folder

Tuidjy
10-11-2013, 03:18 AM
Thank you. I'll look into it, and see how it goes.

Tuidjy
10-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I got it to work, sort of, but I still do not understand what limitations the file must obey.

First, it seems that in order for it to work at all, the files have to be OGG Vorbis 128kbs - higher sampling does not seem to work. Unfortunately, machinegun fire does not sound so good at such low rates.

Second, depending on the sample length, I get different results. For example, if the sample is shorter than the original, I hear the first burst, and then nothing. If the sample is too long, it does not work at all.

I finally got it to work, by totally matching the original files - sampling rate, duration... the machine gun fire does not sound very sharp, but the effect is awesome, especially with multiple marines. You really understand that they are shooting up the place. Now if I can only find someone to say "Scuttling charges set, extracting!" in a nice American accent, for the success soundbyte...

Shadow, can you explain what exactly are the requirements for the sound samples?

Mujik
10-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Nice that you got it to work, looking forward for the release version,
also i don't think that ogg is the only format supported some sound files are in .wav and .snd (guess that is a sound file too :p), but if you change the file type you'll need to change the reference in the systems.gdb...

good luck!! :D

PixelLord
10-11-2013, 06:44 PM
A .snd file is really just a text file where you can manipulate a .wav (and maybe .ogg?) file of the same name. ...change the pitch, volume, etc. Also there's a little program called audacity.exe that can work with ogg files and several others.

Oh, I suppose you already know this, but model (.mdl) files can call an .ogg, .wav, or a .snd file, but if a .snd be sure there's an accompanying .wav of the same name

Tuidjy
10-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks! I knew there was a way to change the file type, but I frankly was too sleepy to try to find it myself. Now I know where to look. I really think that it is much better this way, because it is very important to know that you have a boarding in progress and because sometimes the success happens off screen.

Some people may find the machine gun fire and the English report out of place, but it stands out very well from the background, which the default sounds do not. But maybe the pew-pew from a laser rifle and a teleport sound would do the job while fitting better.

Shadow
10-14-2013, 11:47 AM
In general if you want the sound to be played in 3d space (so you can hear which direction it came from) you want it to be a mono channel wav file. Otherwise we use ogg because they are much smaller.

In general there aren't any restrictions on length or bit rate that I know of, although I haven't tried to change sounds through modding.

DarthNihilus
10-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Oooh yes, I'm going to change the radiation damage sound, it's making me nuts.:confused: