PDA

View Full Version : Questless Boss

(name here)
11-21-2010, 11:05 PM
While wandering around on a level, I unexpectedly ran into a boss sprite big sister without any quest. It went down pretty quickly, but I couldn't find any townsperson, main questgiver, or ghost with a quest targeting it. It was a full boss, purple name and aura, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a plans quest I didn't happen to luck into.

Hagaar
11-22-2010, 11:35 AM
I've had that happen a few times. But I've just decided to leave it go and if there's some good loot, I'll take it. So not to worry. I have a feeling that this happens once your character attains a certain level.

Shadow??

Shadow
11-22-2010, 01:28 PM
That is kind of strange.

Hagaar
11-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Got that right!! After I posted my reply to (name here), I remembered that I have had this happen about four out of the last seven towns. Usually the boss is down at abut the fourth level and near the entry point from the previous or will be nearby. Usually it's a Big Sister but I've also had Ragnars, Animated Corpses. The dungeons have ALL, at least for me, been about 11 floors.

Bak
11-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I've seen this for some versions.

I suspect (ie. wild guess) that there is a "ghost" that would have given the boss quest. That's my guess, because I've only seen ghosts before the boss is killed (? for potential quest) and never afterwards (! for quest completed even if it isn't on the quest list).

Or maybe it is a quest scroll that has jibberish (since the boss is dead)?

Hagaar
11-22-2010, 05:06 PM
@Bak,

Not always... or at least for me. As for the Ghosts... EVEN if you should off a boss, you will eventually come across a ghost on that level. As a point, IF you get a "You've saved the town" notice when you go to the next, head on down into the dungeon, AVOID speaking with the townspeople!! You will begin running into bosses then at some point the ghosts. This phenom will generally begin on the first level.

Here in this case (the thread), there IS a chance, albeit remote... or should be, that one will run into a boss as is noted. As I mentioned above, I generally will grab anything that I see as having potential, if not for my character, then for getting much needed coin. The other day, I began the game with a saved town and bagged four bosses on the first level. I looted what I wanted and did, in fact, run into the ghosts. But for the most part look at it as gaining exp and coin and possibly good loot.:D

Stardusts
11-22-2010, 08:11 PM
I thought this is normal and is intended to add more challenge to the game as you progress. At lv60+ you can expect to run into wandering boss in a dungeon level. At lv90 there are at least 2-3 bosses in the last dungeon level of any town. When I play at lv100 these bosses are everywhere, sometimes they even come in pair. I killed 3 exact same spider bosses in the same level once (2 of them grouped and tried to gank me ;)). They are passive mobs though as they will not initiate any uprising/town attack or build anything, they just stand pretty in the dungeon waiting for you.
The only time that I see these bosses included in a revenge quest is when there is a quest from warmaster to kill them. Their name in the revenge quest giver still appear as a unique (orange) not boss (purple).

btw Hagaar Im having trouble understanding your post . If I read it correct it doesn't matter if you talk to the townspeople or not, the revenge quest and the unique monsters will spawn in the dungeon when the town is created. I have a habit of running around the town after I save it to collect rewards for any revenge quest I completed without knowing.

Hagaar
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Hi Stardusts,

What we were talking about here was more to the point of that a boss would be wandering around and after offing said boss, there was no questgiver. Not what you are saying about bosses deliberately spawning after certain player levels. As I mentioned earlier, I have had some games were there was no giver IN town nor a ghost (person having been offed by said boss).

The problem is that whenever this occurs it sort of screws the game up and after spending a lot of time looking for said giver it forces one to abandon that game. And that the ghost of the giver never spawned... or was located in some secret area that couldn't be located.

As I noted that you are mentioning something that should happen around 60th level, or start at, I am not referring to those levels but rather lower. The first time I played DC, I got frustrated with this the first time and gave up that town and headed onwards. At that time I was something like 5th level. I never had this occurring until I got to 15th. As I mentioned, I have found it odd and if I don't find the giver, I simply grab loot and move on. ESPECIALLY if I happen to get a town that starts as having been saved. Which is another matter.