PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard issue

rebecca9596
12-05-2007, 11:13 PM
I searched through the forum, but couldn't find anything about my particular problem. I installed the demo and set up some options so the game will run smoother on my pc, but when I try to make a character, my keyboard won't work. I know it's not the keyboard (obviously I'm typing now), it just doesn't seem to like the game. The options for configuring controls also won't work with the keyboard. I tried installing the demo from emotionrays.com and then came here and tried this one. Both had the same issue. If anyone has had and fixed this problem or if anyone can just tell me what may be the problem, I would be most grateful. I really want to try this game out. Thanks in advance! :)

Shadow
12-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Ok, that's a new one. Is there anything special about your keyboard? Something other than the typical QWERTY layout? A non-English keyboard?

It sounds like no keys are working, is this correct or is it only certain keys?

rebecca9596
12-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Ok, that's a new one. Is there anything special about your keyboard? Something other than the typical QWERTY layout? A non-English keyboard?

It sounds like no keys are working, is this correct or is it only certain keys?

No keys seem to work. It's a typical keyboard that came with my Dell desktop pc. I've only had this computer for around 2 years, maybe 3. It is english QWERTY. I couldn't hit numbers, letters or the ESC key in the configuration options window or the character creation name and convention or whatever areas. I could still click the mouse though.

Shadow
12-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Happen to know what version of DirectX you have running? You can find this out by going to control panel and double clicking on the DirectX option (at least in XP).

rebecca9596
12-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Happen to know what version of DirectX you have running? You can find this out by going to control panel and double clicking on the DirectX option (at least in XP).

It's not in my control panel, so I just did the dxdiag thing. It says DirectX 9.0c. Is that good enough? I haven't really kept up with the latest updates unless something I installed said to upgrade. Sorry.

Shadow
12-06-2007, 10:14 AM
That's higher than I currently have installed. :) The game really shouldn't need anything even remotely recent DirectX wise, but I just wanted to check.

Off hand, I don't know what else can be causing the keyboard to simply not work. I'll do some research though.

Anyone else ever have their keyboard not work in a game and manage to fix the problem?

You could reboot your computer and see if that would help any.

rebecca9596
12-07-2007, 10:08 AM
That's higher than I currently have installed. :) The game really shouldn't need anything even remotely recent DirectX wise, but I just wanted to check.

Off hand, I don't know what else can be causing the keyboard to simply not work. I'll do some research though.

Anyone else ever have their keyboard not work in a game and manage to fix the problem?

You could reboot your computer and see if that would help any.

Rebooting twice did seem to fix it. I guess the first reboot wasn't good enough. lol Thanks for all the help. :) I tried the game for like an hour, it seems really good, just I have to get the hang of what to do. :) I know I messed up at least two good times already, lmao. Anyway, thanks again! :)

Shadow
12-07-2007, 11:36 AM
That's strange, but I'm glad that rebooting got it working.

I still don't know how that can happen though. On startup the game checks a bunch of things with the keyboard setup to make sure everything is ok. If windows tells the game it failed on any of these, it actually exits the game and gives you an error message. You would think windows would error out on something if the keys don't work at all. :(

rebecca9596
12-07-2007, 11:42 AM
That's strange, but I'm glad that rebooting got it working.

I still don't know how that can happen though. On startup the game checks a bunch of things with the keyboard setup to make sure everything is ok. If windows tells the game it failed on any of these, it actually exits the game and gives you an error message. You would think windows would error out on something if the keys don't work at all. :(

I never assume Windows has any sort of intelligence. :p
Maybe it didn't realize the keyboard wasn't working since the mouse still did. Who knows? At least it's working now. :) I'm going to try to make a new character. Rogue is nice, but I want to try magic now. :)

Broadhead
06-02-2008, 06:29 AM
I've just had the keyboard failure problem too. Mine's a pretty standard, oldish, 105 key English qwerty model. I was thinking to plug my Saitek Gamer's Keyboard in and try, but if a reboot will do it, I'll try that first.

Delve
06-02-2008, 08:28 AM
A plausible theory would be the existence of a keystroke logger that isn't playing nice. Rebecca seems to have gotten hers working (quite a while back too :) ), but if you haven't checked out your machine security-wise lately that might not be a bad idea.

There are almost as many free security tools online as there are malware, a little googling should turn up something reliable, effective, and safe. I think Sysinternals has a scanner of some sort, and I know they do good software. I think they're actually part of MS now, but the apps are free downloads from the MS website.

Iranon
12-04-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm encountering something to this effect. From what I can tell, the "A" and "D" keys appear to have stopped functioning some time into the game.

I have a mage at 16 and a warrior at 6. The Mage is named with an "A" so clearly the letter worked before. I really only ran into this when I tried to delete the warrior. It is QUITE hard to type delete to confirm a delete without a D key.

The game was installed off steam.
Win 7 x64
Keyboard clearly works outside of the game, and did earlier in the game's existence.
UAC is off
Keyboard is 105 key QWERTY, using standard MS drivers.

Rebooting didn't help.
There are no keyloggers present (kaspersky, ice sword, and responder pro all agree on this point).

Seems like a bug no? I'm going to backup the game files on steam and reinstall now. . .

=======================

Figured it out.

I had remapped the scroll up / down / left / right to WASD.

If I revert to the original mappings, A and D are usable again in fields for naming chars, naming covenants, and confirming delete.