PDA

View Full Version : Gate Bug

Hagaar
12-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I've just finished climbing down to the final level of 7 levels in the current town I'm in and came across portals labeled as "Unknown". That in itself is not at issue. The fact that they ALL port back to the active Portal on 7 is. There are, as far as I can tell, 5 such portals here. Shadow, I can post a save for you if you wish.

Also, Shadow, in another post you mention setting the level number at the start of the game. How? I've got the latest patch.

Also, under Vista, where's the save located??

Shadow
12-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Also, Shadow, in another post you mention setting the level number at the start of the game. How? I've got the latest patch.

Also, under Vista, where's the save located??

If you mean the number of levels, that is something that is in the expansion.

Vista/Win7 - C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\DinsCurse\User

I don't need a save for this problem though. The unknown gates are smart enough to not try to teleport you below the dungeon but not smart enough to not exist if they have nowhere to teleport you to except the current level.

Hagaar
12-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks Shadow. As for the gates... IF I understand you, then any "Unknown Gate" will only port you to a level that is already available. As in, if there are 15 levels and I use an unknown gate, I'll only wind up somewhere within those 15. Is this correct?

Shadow
12-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks Shadow. As for the gates... IF I understand you, then any "Unknown Gate" will only port you to a level that is already available. As in, if there are 15 levels and I use an unknown gate, I'll only wind up somewhere within those 15. Is this correct?

Yes that is correct. They also only go down.

Manumitted
12-07-2010, 07:49 PM
This is normal gate behavior. Unknown gates always teleport to the official gate on a lower level, unless you are already on the lowest level. In that case, they (fairly uselessly) teleport to the official gate on the lowest (same) level. In some amusing cases, this amounts to moving about 10 feet. I have suggested in the bug thread either not spawning unknown gates on the bottom level or allowing them to teleport upwards.

The official gate on the lower level does not have to be active nor the lower level ever visited before the unknown gate sends you to it, either. Unknown gates are a good way to penetrate deeper into the dunjon while retaining the capacity for an instant exit. Just double-click the new gate, and you'll activate it and go back to town.

As to the level issue, I think you're confused by the multiple senses in which "level" can be used. The only level that you can presently set at the beginning of a town is the starting character level for the monsters. You cannot ask for a dunjon with 5, 10, 15, or whatever number of architectural levels. It sounds like that feature will be in the expansion.