PDA

View Full Version : Mod for "potions" items

pieciax
12-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Hi All,

i was wondering if its possible to mod effects of consumables like boosts and repairs.
In particular im aiming at adding following properties:

Shield Boost gives temporary + X boost to crew stat "computer"
Nanite Repair gives temporary + X boost to crew stat "structural"
Thrust Boost gives temporary + X boost to crew stat " helm"
Energy Spike gives temporary + X boost to crew stat "engenering"

where +X is consumable level x 4 (to have max +160 bonus at consumable lvl.20).
Optionally can be stable bonus of 160.

Objective is to have temporary bonus stat mainly to easy my life and save time when equpping items that my ship doesn't meet requirments.

Im totally green in moding.

Can anyone help to verify if its possible to do, and if so, which stats and where i need to modify?

Or if anyone find it usefull, maybe would like to do this mod on its own?

What ive managed to find so far is this entry in database(ConsumableEnergyBoost):
// UseStatChanges 1
// MagicModifier ModifierConsumbableEnergyBoost

// MinPowerGainBase 15.0
// MaxPowerGainBase 15.0

// MinPowerGainPerLevel 15.0
// MaxPowerGainPerLevel 15.0

StatusEffect StatusEffectConsumableEnergyBoost
StatusEffectUseLevel 1

And in statusEffects.gdb:

StatusEffectConsumableEnergyBoostPerLevel
{
Base BaseStatusEffectPerLevel

PowerChange 1.2

TotalTime 0.0
TickTime 0.0
}

StatusEffectConsumableEnergyBoost
{
Base BaseStatusEffect

EffectType OnlyOne
GroupName ConsumableEnergyBoost

TotalTime 10.0
TickTime 1.0

Name $$EnergyBoost$$

TextureName Textures/Icons/Items/consumableenergyboost.tga

PowerChange 3.6

PerLevel StatusEffectConsumableEnergyBoostPerLevel
}

or for shield boost:

StatusEffectConsumableShieldsBoostPerLevel
{

StatChangeShieldsRegen 100.0

TotalTime 0.0
TickTime 0.0
}

StatusEffectConsumableShieldsBoost
{
Base BaseStatusEffect

EffectType OnlyOne
GroupName ConsumableShieldsBoost

TotalTime 10.0
TickTime 1.0

Name $$ShieldBoost$$

TextureName Textures/Icons/Items/consumableshieldboost.tga

StatChangeShieldsRegen 400.0

PerLevel StatusEffectConsumableShieldsBoostPerLevel
}

question is can i add something like
"StatChangeComputer 4.0" and it will work?
If so what are the names for stat change for other crew stats?

any hints?

Tuidjy
12-15-2013, 03:39 PM
You know, +160 to any skill will let you equip any component in the game. In effect, your mod will completely dispense with skill requirement.. so why not use one of the existing mods that gives you extra skill points every time you level?

18 points per level will give you enough points to max out every skill and get the biggest hull. This will do it:

AttributePointsPerLevel 18 //Default 5

(Thanks to Joku, whose skill points mod can be found here (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24787).)

pieciax
12-15-2013, 04:14 PM
thats the objective: to be able to equip any kind of component.
Its possible now with proper crew and equipment, but its very time consuming to do it (going to stash and re-equipping few crew memebers and devices to boost specific stat)
Thats why i want do include it in consumables.
Mod to get crew points is a good choice, but it boosts my ship too much, and that ruins the balance.

I just want to save time.

i assume using passive equipment without proper crew points is allowed by design - not cheating.

Pumping up crew points is cheating :)

joku
12-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Here's something quick I tried out. It works.
test overrides StatusEffectConsumableEnergyBoost
{
Base BaseStatusEffect

EffectType OnlyOne
GroupName ConsumableEnergyBoost

TotalTime 10.0
TickTime 1.0

Name $$EnergyBoost$$

TextureName Textures/Icons/Items/consumableenergyboost.tga

StatChangeStrength 3.6

PerLevel StatusEffectConsumableEnergyBoostPerLevel
}

test2 overrides StatusEffectConsumableEnergyBoostPerLevel
{

StatChangeStrength 1.2

TotalTime 0.0
TickTime 0.0
}

tactical = strength
helm = dexterity
structural = vitality
engineering = intelligence
computers = spirit
command = captain

Tuidjy
12-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Its possible now with proper crew and equipment, but its very time consuming to do it (going to stash and re-equipping few crew memebers and devices to boost specific stat)

[snip]
I just want to save time.

i assume using passive equipment without proper crew points is allowed by design - not cheating.

Pumping up crew points is cheating :)

It is not just time you are saving.

Yes, it is possible to boost skills to equip any component. As a matter of fact, I only play Hardcore, do not use mods, and never raise Engineering or Computes unless I play Command Zero ships. (I don't raise Structure even with Command Zero ships)

But it is far, far, FAR from trivial to do so. You need to place crew members on watch in order for them to level. You need to rotate them to fill all the holes in your skills. You need to go easy on turning in quests as not to slow crew advancement. You need to have the right crew components, and to figure an order to use them to achieve what you want: for example, it does you little good if you need to fill all your medium slots with your Engineering boosters to mount your capacitors, and with Computer boosters to mount your computers.

Even if you do all of the above, there will be times when you cannot equip everything you have looted, because the right crew members have not come by, or because some of them died, or because your SHIP died because you were wasting equipment slots on crew members you were leveling. It is not until about level 30 that you start being able to mount everything you find, and about level 60-70 that you can stop leveling crew members.

I do not presume to tell people whether to use mods to better enjoy the game. But a balance mod is a balance mod. When you are making things easier for yourself, you are denying yourself challenges that the developers have considered necessary.

Whether you mod consumables, or you mod skill points per level, you will reduce the importance of crew members in your ships. Speaking for myself, crew members contribute a lot to my enjoyment of the game. You'll be depriving yourself of that.

I hope you do not take offense of this, but know that others have claimed that skill requirement are just a bother and a waste of time, and have later found out that it is not so easy to circumvent them without mods. At the very least, it takes serious cash to crew your ship with drones, which is one way to go around skill requirements without leveling crew members.

pieciax
12-16-2013, 01:34 AM
joku big thanks!!

to Tuidjy my opinion about stats was posted long time ago(http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25251). I love drox but i dont agree on all mechanics.

Ive went all the way to level 100 being frusted that im not able to use most of the components i drop (ive invested most into command) if i dont shuffle crew.
And that started to be more frustrating than fun.

Thats the reason to mod, with as little change in game balance as possible.

Tuidjy
12-16-2013, 04:28 AM
Anyone who has played the game for any amount of time knows that the Command skill is the most powerful, and the biggest ships are the best. The balancing factor is that if you just pump Command, you have to spend either time (to level and shuffle crew), cargo space (to gather crew equipment), or cash (to scavenge for droids) Personally, I find it trivially easy to equip everything I find, even with a vanilla, Command Zero ship that has only three medium and three light slots. While I have never managed to get a Command Zero ship to level 100, by level 70 my Command Zero ships could already equip any component that exists in the game.

Now, I understand that you consider all three of the approaches above a bother and no fun, and want to remove skill restrictions on items. That's OK, I have always said that modding a single player game so that you have the most fun is the only sane thing to do.

What I do not like is that you call other mods "cheating", and think that what you do is somehow different from what they do. A balance mod is a balance mod is a balance mod.

-------

Oh, and this is as much as I am going to say about this. I think that discussions about what is cheating and what isn't devolve very quickly. If you want the last word, it's yours.