PDA

View Full Version : How to relocate MiniMap?

jeremyosborne
12-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Shadow,

You're probably going to ignore me with all my mod questions :)

I want to move the actual MiniMap image around, but I can't figure out how to do that, nor can I find an associated UI Widget that relates to the MiniMap location.

Which widget needs to be edited to change the MiniMap position?

Thanks!

EDIT: Made a bit of headway. Using the magic power of "grep" and some guessing, I found that the texture used for the MiniMap is Textures/ui/minimap/circle2.tga, and that the shader itself is defined as MiniMapMask inside of shaders/interface.sdr, and that I can somewhat control the positioning of the MiniMap by dumping the following in a .gdb file in an Assets/Database folder that I created:

MiniMapRelocate overrides UISystem
{
// This is the original positioning of the MiniMap
//MiniMapMaskPosition "537.0 20.0"
// I can move the minimap around within a constrained area.
// The following shows a "pie piece" of the map, clipping the rest away
//MiniMapMaskPosition "530.0 80.0"
// This doesn't work at all, probably something I'm missing in my understanding
// of how shaders work together.
MiniMapMaskPosition "0.0 100.0"
MiniMapMaskSize "90.0 90.0"
}

As the comments indicate, I'm suffering from Operator Error. I'll see if I can figure out what's going on. If I can, I'll post it here.

EDIT AGAIN: Okay, I'm probably going to sound like a dumbass asking this question, but I'll ask it anyway:

Is the reason I can't move the minimap around due to the fact that the map is projected into a certain diamond shape area of the upper right of the screen, and what the shader is actually allowing me to do is to make visible a section, or rather a particular shape, within that section of the screen? Hence, when I move the shader around, there's nothing to view because the collision between the shader and the new area, like the upper left corner of the game screen, isn't projecting the view of the minimap?

Shadow
12-15-2010, 09:38 AM
The location that the actual minimap draws at is in code. It's fairly complex because it's not just a flat texture but a 3d projection.

The shader you found and the numbers in UISystem only deal with the round texture that surrounds the minimap.

jeremyosborne
12-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Cool. Thanks! I won't go trying to move it around, but if I'm feeling brave I might attempt my first ever texture/shader.