PDA

View Full Version : Sector Setup

GarlandGreene
01-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Still rather new at this and kind of losing my way a bit and losing motivation a bit after getting stomped at levels I should be capable of and seeing a lot of the fancy ships people post here and would love some input.

What kind of sector setups work best for you folks? At a bit of a loss what to really have here, I find with tiny, race-filled, fast-paced sectors I can get a lot of quests done either incidentally because of the high activity or because of the seemingly high concentration of bosses.

I level rather quickly but feel that I miss out on a lot of diplomacy (not that I know what I'm really doing with diplomacy half the time) and the more intricate quests and events. Have I just been spoilt by the fast pace of exp?

Also a bit of a side-question to any of the people with min-maxed ships if you happen to spot this, have you spent a huge amount of time collecting crew and crew components to achieve those? I can't seem to get anywhere near the combinations of stats required for some of the high components without dumping lots of points into those stats.

Anyway this is getting long, any insight is greatly appreciated, loving this game~

CaptainWinky
01-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Sector setup comes down to personal preference, really. I usually play with either a Tiny or Small sector. In a Tiny sector I will never play with more than 4 races because even 4 is kind of crowded (you might meet 3 out of the 4 races in the starting system).

I did try a larger sector last time I played and it led to a pretty large and epic conflict between two races, each of whom controlled about half of the systems. If that sounds like fun, then it's worth trying a Medium or larger sector.

I typically set Drox involvement to minimal, simply because satisfying some of their mandatory quests can take a LOT of time and credits. On a relatively new ship, I consider minimal involvement to be essential because you could go broke trying to form an alliance between two races that don't already like each other. I usually give myself arbitrary goals for each sector, like "Diplomacy win with Fringe and Cortex" or "Win the sector while getting along with the Ancients" which is always tricky.

As for components: one popular trick is to equip a crew member who gives you the stats necessary to equip a component, then remove that crew after the component finishes installing. It doesn't work with weapons since you need to meet the Tactical requirement to fire the weapon, but for things like armor and shields it's fine.

Yindo
01-10-2014, 10:46 AM
A lot of the better equipment can take a while to find. Not sure about other people but I tend to put good items onto shared stash, so I can use them on other ships. Sometimes just a matter of leveling slowly, maybe even playing a sector that is a level or two below your ship level to harvest items that may help out in the long run. If you are done using a component, stick it into the stash for your next ship.

Use fringe planets to reduce power load of items whenever you get a chance, I find that helps a fair bit. Also if you can find room for it, put fighters into a slot, they help to act as a distraction and screen for when you get attacked is really useful early on.

I tend to just play the default sector type, though I always make sure the drox involvement is minimal. Those quests or missions they give you seem to be a bit screwed up still, can mess up your win/loss ratio too quickly.

CaptainWinky
01-10-2014, 11:04 AM
A lot of the better equipment can take a while to find. Not sure about other people but I tend to put good items onto shared stash, so I can use them on other ships. Sometimes just a matter of leveling slowly, maybe even playing a sector that is a level or two below your ship level to harvest items that may help out in the long run. If you are done using a component, stick it into the stash for your next ship.

Use fringe planets to reduce power load of items whenever you get a chance, I find that helps a fair bit. Also if you can find room for it, put fighters into a slot, they help to act as a distraction and screen for when you get attacked is really useful early on.

I made good use of the shared stash with my previous ships. You're always going to find things that are better than what you currently have, so you can equip the better item as soon as you have the stats for it and then save the old one for a future ship. I have over 100 various items in my shared stash, but my current ship is in Hardcore mode so I can't take advantage of that.

And yes, Fringe planets are great for managing your power load. Other good races for upgrades:

Lithosoid: increase durability of components, best used on armor
Scavenger: scavenge for any type of component, expensive but great for hard-to-find stuff like chips and bigger cargo bays
Utopian: add chip sockets to items, also expensive but can be well worth it if you have good chips sitting around
Cortex: allow you to respec if necessary

I keep a crappy chip and tiny cargo bay in my shared stash that I can use at Scavenger planets whenever I want more chips or better bays. Unless it's been changed, Scavengers will always provide the biggest cargo bay that you can equip.

GarlandGreene
01-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Many thanks for the tips!

I've been a little cautious using the race's unique upgrades because it warns that it can damage components permanently.. Is that not that much of an issue then?

Hadn't crossed my mind to try scavenging bays, that is amazingly useful, bays were seemingly very scarce!

What were the default settings for sector setup? Any way to reset it? Kind of forgotten what they even were after playing around with them so much. :s

Thanks again~