PDA

View Full Version : Cute Knight

Delilah Rehm
12-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Has anyone played Cute Knight (http://www.hanakogames.com/knight.shtml)? I bought it and played it five times. You kind of have to play it many times because after about two hours, the game’s over. It’s a short game, which can have its benefits if you want something you can finish quickly or in-between projects, but for me, it was mostly frustrating.

By the time I’d get good at something, game over. Want to find a certain outfit that matches your objectives? Good luck on that and buy some lottery tickets while you’re at it. Also surprising story twist may screw up your goals, and you can’t get as far by the looming “The End”, like the time the magic teacher got mad at me for befriending her daughter and banned me from class. Forever. Guess I won’t be the ultimate mage after all.

My son really liked watching me play when I was in the dungeon, so I let him play the game. He got frustrated because you can’t stay in the dungeon long without needing to come out and sleep somewhere. Then if you go back in, you start at the entrance. Yeah. He’s says it’s too hard and doesn’t want to play anymore. I suspect it might be because he’d rather play a pure dungeon crawl rather than the different aspects that Cute Knight offers.

So guys, what am I missing here? Have I missed the right pattern to play this game successfully? Is it really a “bobbing for apples” kind of game were the fun is finding the roadblocks in the story and having a hundred or more finished games? Just wondering.

EndymyrBrand
12-08-2007, 02:08 AM
Yep, I've played it (well, Cute Knight Deluxe, if you want to be picky).

I got frustrated too with the short length. It would be nice to have a Civilization type option, where maybe you get the same ending and you don't get any more score, but can keep playing anyway. As for the bobbing-for-apples analogy, that's probably pretty accurate. I tracked down an FAQ that listed all the possible endings and how to get them. There is a "win" that follows a story, but all the other end conditions aren't really "losses" in the classic sense. Part of the challenge is to try and get different endings, to fill out the gallery of portraits and so forth.

If you're interested in the FAQ, I can private message it to you; obviously, complete and total spoiler alert. There's also one that gives the various recipes and items you can create out of the components you find, which I use somewhat more frequently (though I haven't played it much recently since I picked up a copy of this nifty other game called Depths of Peril, perhaps you've heard of it...) :rolleyes:

Sayen
12-08-2007, 07:32 PM
I really liked the game, I have to admit. I spent an entire night with my best friend and we tried to get as many different ends as possible.
I agree that it is a bit short. I also tried Kudos Rock Legends and the nice thing there was that they actually told you how to alter the config file so you could increase the game time. I haven't checked that for 'Cute Knight' yet but maybe it is possible there as well.

Delilah Rehm
12-08-2007, 10:49 PM
A FAQ would be cool. Perhaps it would keep me from running into road blocks, like getting kicked out of magic class forever! :)

Delilah Rehm
12-08-2007, 10:52 PM
I think I have three or four different endings. My first one was a failure, since I didn't notice that getting healed by the doctor sucked away my dream. :eek:

I'm not sure want to do next. I've done chef, dress maked, warrior. I think I'd like to do bouncer and something from the library next. The hard part is, you have to plan in advance what you want to do if you want to make it by the end. You can't decide mid-game. Hince my first loss.

Sayen
12-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Bouncer has a really cute ending. Do some fighting and take some fighting classes. Go down to at least dungeon level 2 or 3 and kill some stuff. Then go with the flow when shane shows up ^^

Sayen
12-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Btw, I found the URL for the Tips & Tricks Site again :)

It contains spoilers so be aware of that.

Here you go:

http://www.gamezebo.com/features/cute_knight_tips_tricks.html

Delilah Rehm
12-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the link! :)

Sayen
12-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Any time :)

emichan
12-11-2007, 11:43 AM
if you really want more playtime, use the cheat code to change your age, that way you never turn 21 until you're ready

Delilah Rehm
12-11-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm going to have to look that up!