PDA

View Full Version : Hinterland

Castruccio
12-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Has anyone ever tried this? It is on sale for 2.50 on Steam.

Caal
12-23-2010, 02:18 PM
I have. It's kind of interesting, with both ARPG and strategy elements. You recruit skilled people to your town who make the things you need, like food, weapons, armor, town defense, etc. You can then take some of those townies out into the field with you to complete quests you king gives you, battling monsters along the way. Monsters will sometimes try to attack your town. The game has some similarities to DC in that respect. Unlike DC, there is only one town (you can choose town size, however), and once it's finished, that's it. You don't carry your hero forward from town to town, you start over with a new hero. Overall it's fun, and IMHO worth $2.50.

DeathKnight1728
12-23-2010, 05:47 PM
want some weirdness, play as a trickster

FloodSpectre
12-23-2010, 07:34 PM
I've wanted to try this out for a while now, thanks for the heads-up on the low price.

caldazar
12-25-2010, 08:32 PM
just picked this up myself. it's a game that holds some interest for me...moreso actually after playing DC. I'll be honest.

Jorlen
12-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Hey thanks for the heads up, I've been looking for a deal on this game for a while now. Cheers!

Castruccio
12-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Anyone have any impressions yet?

caldazar
01-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Anyone have any impressions yet?

I like it, but I wish I could carry over my character into a new adventure.

Maledictus
01-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Great game IMHO. It has some town building elements and loads of character types. The landscape could do with some more variety, but it's an accessible and enjoyable ARPG with (very light) city building, where the city building sort of replaces a tech-tree: the buildings and their upgrades determine what type of characters come to town (and can be added to your party) and also determine how your inventory develops (add an apothecary, gain potions etc.). Fun stuff: get the dragon farmer, a dragon egg and see to it the egg hatches. You can then use the dragon to fight for you. Loads of ways to play, nice indy game.

dnuggs40
01-05-2011, 11:12 AM
I purchased this game when it was released...I was REALLY excited about it as the concept sounds awesome.

The end product? It's pretty good I think, I can't help but be slightly disappointed by it though. The mechanics are really simple on both fronts...the RPG/lootemup stuff is bare bones at best...and the town management/building isn't as robust as I would have hoped.

I don't want to come out completely negative though, it's a fun game in spurts and I play it every so often. I definitely got my monies worth and have no regrets purchasing it.

The game can be addicting is small doses, finding magic items and leveling (albeit shallow) still is gratifying. Building up your town and choosing it's inhabitants can also be fun, but again, after a few times you never really see much variation which is a shame.

I'd recommend it to anyone interested in either genre (RPG/City building), especially at a cheap price, just make sure to adjust your expectations accordingly.

I think the concept is wonderful though, and I really hope either Tilted Mill or some other company attempts it again though this time with deeper gameplay mechanics.

Archon
01-20-2011, 12:56 AM
I enjoyed Hinterland for what it was which is a light hack and slash with a town building concept. I remember the combat feeling 'floaty' like the PC and NPC's were fighting on ice but besides that I got a dozen or so hours of fun out of the game. I also like the way the game does not throw all there monsters at the player in a single game. Much like AD&D Stronghold (excellent town building game from 1993) you have to play a couple of games to see most of the monsters in the game. It's been awhile since I have played it but IMO it's certainly worth the price you picked it up for.

I think the concept is wonderful though, and I really hope either Tilted Mill or some other company attempts it again though this time with deeper gameplay mechanics.

I played Hinterland after playing Depths Of Peril and the first thing I thought after finishing a couple of games was "It would really be cool if each covenant had it's own town in a future DoP." I prefer DoP over Hinterland but the hybrid of town building and hack & slashing is really cool and unlike Hinterland we would be able to enter the caves and monster bases :D .

pnakotus
01-20-2011, 01:43 AM
It's -awful-. The town building is crap, the Diablo elements are crap, and it's either really easy or really hard depending on build. I'm not even sure its a good idea, but the approaches they took to the idea are bad, unless it's been seriously patched since I played it last.

If you still always start in the southern-most cel and the town economy is still so basic, its a giant disappointment.

Archon
01-23-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't think the 'Orc Lords' update would change your mind about the game :D . Overall I don't feel as negative on Hinterland as you despite some things about the game that irk me a bit. I think the approach of the game was suppose to be simple, a coffee-break style commercial hack and slash. My only big disappointment was the lack of support and the feeling that it was a tilted mill side-project (it might have been) rather than something major from the company. I think there is a lot of potential in the hybrid town-building / hack concept and maybe the concept could be expanded / improved upon in the future with either a Hinterland 2 or something else.