PDA

View Full Version : Game fails to start

RobearGWJ
02-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Last Fall, the game stopped working. It may be related to my updating my AMD video drivers, or to a game update or adding the expansion. System is Win 7 64 bit.

I'm running an AMD Radeon 7900 series with 13.251.0.0 drivers. This was updated after the issue appeared and did not fix the problem.

Here are the contents of my log file:
-----
Safe and dependant systems initialized
Database parsed
Graphics system initialized
Opened Generic Software Device
Using 256 sound sources
Sound system initialized
Input initialized
Debug system started
Done initializing
Incorrect format
chatClient string chatText - Chat textchatClient
-----

When I try to start the game, the Windows cursor displays the hourglass for a few seconds, and then goes back to normal. Nothing else occurs.

Thanks for any info.

Shadow
02-25-2014, 12:02 PM
You could try to move all of your save games somewhere else temporarily and see if that helps.

RobearGWJ
02-25-2014, 12:31 PM
I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. I also tried the Steam version when it came out, and that does not work. I've tried getting rid of the config file, too, in the user directory, and that did not work. I just tried getting rid of the saved games, and that does not work.

Bluddy
02-25-2014, 05:09 PM
I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. I also tried the Steam version when it came out, and that does not work. I've tried getting rid of the config file, too, in the user directory, and that did not work. I just tried getting rid of the saved games, and that does not work.

After moving the save games, do you still get the 'wrong format' line in the log? Because I assume that's what Shadow is referring to -- the game is looking at the last save game and sees a format it cannot recognize.

RobearGWJ
02-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Safe and dependant systems initialized
Database parsed
Graphics system initialized
Opened Generic Software Device
Using 256 sound sources
Sound system initialized
Input initialized
Debug system started
Done initializing
Incorrect format
chatClient string chatText - Chat textchatClient

Looks the same to me, but there are no more saves present in the User directory.

Shadow
02-25-2014, 06:47 PM
The Incorrect format is related to the next line of chatClient string chatText - Chat textchatClient

Basically there is bad call to the chatClient command. I'm not sure why that would be.

Do you happen to have any mods installed?

RobearGWJ
02-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Nope. No mods, nothing. I've cleaned it out and reinstalled several times in the last few months, with the same result.

Maybe I should delete all the files in the User directory? I've already tossed the character info and the saves. What else can go in a reinstall? I assume all of it...

Shadow
02-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Maybe I should delete all the files in the User directory?

That sounds like a good plan.

Shadow
02-26-2014, 05:42 PM
You should probably also install the latest patch.

RobearGWJ
02-26-2014, 08:12 PM
I deleted the Drox Operative directory under the User tree and the game installed and started just fine! Thanks so much!:)