PDA

View Full Version : Chip Mechanics

Cryosis
03-09-2014, 08:43 AM
So I notice that when you put a chip into something rare or elite it will gain a level in rarity and it will gain a significant stat boost (Shield capacity goes up, max power load increases). However, weapons gain no effect besides that of the chip itself. Am I just unlucky or is this expected behavior?

Tuidjy
03-09-2014, 02:17 PM
I hate you. I have been hearing about this effect for an year, I have slotted and chipped literally hundreds of items and never experienced it. And you have been playing for what, a week, and got it?!

There is a thread in which we were discussing chips a long time ago. Lessee whether I can find it.

Here (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29084). The stat doubling is discussed by the end of the thread.

Cryosis
03-09-2014, 05:23 PM
I've had it happen 3 times so far, I'm not sure why it's rare for you. If you get an elite shield/power source with 2 sockets, it should work.

EDIT: I just loaded the game, went to the first planet nearby, bought a very rare shield (this is on my lvl 18 hc) that had like 140 shields/.20 regen. I tossed in a +9 thrust chip in it, it's now at 280 shields / .4 regen and is now legendary.

Tuidjy
03-09-2014, 06:56 PM
I have seen the shift to legendary hundreds of times, I do it to all my components as I go from sector level 100 towards 200. It's the stat boost that I have never experienced, and I have been watching for it for a long, long time.

Cryosis
03-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Try it on very rare or elite components. Can't recall if the switch from artifact to legendary triggers it.

Cryosis
03-14-2014, 04:53 AM
@Shadow,

Is there any way we can get more details on the chip upgrade mechanics please?

Is it a bug? Is it a hidden feature?
I realize it does not effect weapons, but not sure which equipment it effects, at which rarities, at which % chance...

Tuidjy
03-14-2014, 04:59 AM
My working theory at this point is that it only happens to crappy components, and as I only slot/chip the very best components, I will never see the effect.

Yindo
03-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Been trying to chip random items that I use at lv 100. Was getting low on credits and tried it on stuff with low enhance cost. This happened earlier
http://i.imgur.com/XnjrlOa.png The amount of thrust doubled. I believe the chip I used was just one of the tweaked find ones.

Tuidjy
03-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Just blew 5 millions credits on trying to get the effect on drives. Couldn't. I was using high end drives to begin with, though.

What I can tell you is that your defense must have doubled as well, because none of my 'high' end drives came close to what you ended up with, even with defense chips.

Yindo
03-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Just blew 5 millions credits on trying to get the effect on drives. Couldn't. I was using high end drives to begin with, though.

What I can tell you is that your defense must have doubled as well, because none of my 'high' end drives came close to what you ended up with, even with defense chips.

When I get to level 100, I tend to backup the ship's save file and offload the best items onto the shared stash, then restore the ship's save. That way I can use the item again on new ships. Anyhow was able to find the original drive that I had enhanced and chipped.

http://i.imgur.com/qNS43Lj.png

What is weird is the original drive thrust 1226 became the new drive's defense!

Tuidjy
03-14-2014, 03:08 PM

That's not weird. When the item isn't tweaked, or when no tweak affects defense or thrust, defense is half the thrust. They both doubled.

I am really stumped how everyone is reproducing the effect, and I cannot. Here is what I do:

1) Got Scavengers in a sector level 120, flew to a planet of theirs, got my ship's Helm to 168
2) Scavenged engines until I got 4 very rares, and 5 elites.
3) In a later sector, at an Utopian planet, upgraded the slots until they were all legendary.
4) Slotted random junk chips in the engines.

None doubled their stats. What are you guys doing that's different?

Yindo
03-14-2014, 04:12 PM

That's not weird. When the item isn't tweaked, or when no tweak affects defense or thrust, defense is half the thrust. They both doubled.

I am really stumped how everyone is reproducing the effect, and I cannot. Here is what I do:

1) Got Scavengers in a sector level 120, flew to a planet of theirs, got my ship's Helm to 168
2) Scavenged engines until I got 4 very rares, and 5 elites.
3) In a later sector, at an Utopian planet, upgraded the slots until they were all legendary.
4) Slotted random junk chips in the engines.

I only use scavengers when I try to get good virus or beam weapons. The original drive I used was just a regular drop. Was just slotting it and adding in junk chips when it doubled. Took like 3 chips at most I think. Only reason I tried adding slots to the drive was I got fed up with trying to slot the beam weapon I had. Trying to get beyond 1460 damage per second on it.

Since the drive doubled, I been trying in vain to see if I can get the heavy power plant with 3060 energy to a higher amount and perhaps double it, if that is even possible. Would be great to spare a heavy equipment slot for armor or something else, instead of another power plant.

MysticVoid 7x9
03-14-2014, 09:30 PM
I wonder if what we are seeing has anything or nothing to do with something being a normal drop. Sounds unlikely to me.

Cryosis
03-15-2014, 05:33 AM

I haven't done this with enhanced items, just naturally spawning ones. I've done it like 8 times now, it seems to occur at around 50% chance. You have pretty solid chances if you find one that has double sockets.

I wish someone could clear up this mystery *looks for Shadow again*.

I might do some testing this weekend... find a bunch of different socketable equipment, a few different chips and then test to see if any particular combination makes a difference or whether it doubling stats is random.

Shadow
03-15-2014, 11:34 AM
I wish someone could clear up this mystery *looks for Shadow again*.

It's a bug.

Cryosis
03-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the response Shadow!

I kind of liked the mechanic though. It's nice to get a item with a high base stat with a low power cost. Rare and legendary weapons seem right as they get pretty good min/max/total % damage modifiers. If I get a legendary equipment, it has some fluff stats like 15 thrust and -10 power.... but if I have an uncommon shield that gives me like 5% more shielding, the legendary is tossed. I haven't found any artifact/elite/legendary non weapon modules that have had really good base stats that makes me go "oh wow", which is why I thought the chipping rarity/effect gains were intentional, but not documented (If these items do exist, someone correct me).

On my zero command hardcore ship, I was stuck trying to fulfill my drox win requirements and stop the infinite swarm of Lithisoid and Dryad from destroying the scavenger/brunt/drakk. I had to use a combination of 2 marines, and a high damage weapon to crack the shield and destroy the hull with marines. I probably destroyed 500 race ships this way and the screen was filled with so much loot my framerate dropped a bit. But none of the loot was very good, most of the items above very rare were outclassed by uncommon's I found that had better base stats (except for the weapons of course, my legendary laser was awesome). Unrelated: Still lost the ship immediately in the next sector due to invisible mines...

TL;DR; I thought this was intentional design to balance the fact that legendary non weapon items kind of suck compared to an uncommon with slightly higher base stats.

Gavodir
03-21-2014, 11:53 AM
I just had a drive get its base stats multiplied a second time...
It started with a chip socket, I put a chip in it got doubled.
I enhanced it with a chip socket, and just now put a chip in and it raised even more.
Sorry no screenshots, I really wasn't expecting it to work, but now I have a legendary heavy drive with 714/1425 Defense/Thrust that only requires 72 helm. It seems like it got raised by the base amount again, instead of doubling both times.

Yindo
03-21-2014, 02:47 PM
I just had a drive get its base stats multiplied a second time...
It started with a chip socket, I put a chip in it got doubled.
I enhanced it with a chip socket, and just now put a chip in and it raised even more.
Sorry no screenshots, I really wasn't expecting it to work, but now I have a legendary heavy drive with 714/1425 Defense/Thrust that only requires 72 helm. It seems like it got raised by the base amount again, instead of doubling both times.

Low helm requirement is really nice! Been trying to chip other items for odd affects but nothing so far.

Tuidjy
03-21-2014, 02:58 PM
This is an awesome component. The best normal engines max around about 680/1360. With slotting and chipping I can increase thrust by 31 and defense by 51, but that's it.

So your component is the equal to the best I have (731/1390) and 72 Helm instead of 153.

damion
03-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Can someone explain what part of this mechanic is a "bug" and how "should" it work?

I'm a little lost and want to make sure I don't waste the effort trying to replicate something that I shouldn't be doing or doesn't work.

MysticVoid 7x9
03-24-2014, 01:19 PM
I think the bug is the fact that the stats are getting doubled.

Janshi
05-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Though the last post of this thread is already a bit older, i would like to revive that discussion.
I can confirm what the OP noticed at least for battle scanners and power plants.
So far i basically doubled the stats of 15 battle scanners and power plants.
I always upgraded my battle scanners and power plants from very rare to elite by chipping it once and doubled the stats.
This was done either with naturally founded items (very rare and at least one chip slot) or enchanced items (initially rare and became very rare but enchancing it with one chip slot).

@Tuidjy
Perhaps you already found out but the reason why you donīt obtain double stats is very likely that you enchance your items until legendary. So far i never saw stat doubling when you slot a chip to an already legendary item.

10th
07-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Consistent doubling of stats can only be achieved by chipping a very rare component.
Which means you either have a very rare component with a socket, or you have to add a socket to a rare item via the Utopian's race service. Using the Utopian's service successfully always adds one socket. Additionally it changes its rarity one step, resulting in a very rare item with a socket, if you start with a rare item.

It should be noted though, that not all components get bonuses from this method. It definetely works with armor, structure items, shields and drives.

All those pretty numbers don't mean a thing on computers, attack+radar items, defense items, energy regen items and attack items. You'll only getting the pre-doubling bonuses on those.

Haven't tested weapons of any kind, structure and armor regen items and skill items.

Tuidjy
07-17-2014, 08:19 PM
All those pretty numbers don't mean a thing on computers,

Actually, I have gotten the doubling bonus exactly once, on a computer. I will make an effort to post a screenshot, but I am not sure that I still have that particular component mounted on a ship.

I have resisted looking into this, now that I know it's a bug. Still, it looks like a great way to boost early power.

Tuidjy
07-18-2014, 11:53 AM
http://i.imgur.com/rVls0bR.jpg

Here is a computer that doubled its stats when my ship was level 25 or so. The ship is level 60, and this is still its best computer.

10th
07-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Forget what I said regarding the whole doubling process and thing not working, it was probably some display bug.

Though I definetely remember that it didn't work 2 days before, dunno what's up with that.

10th
07-25-2014, 07:23 PM
OK, I just had it happen. I doubled the regen stat of a battery from 3 to 6 energy per second and it didn't seem to work. As it only displayed 1 more energy regen - it replaced a 2 energy regen component.

But exiting the game and reloading the save results in the correct energy number being displayed.

Kohlenstoff
08-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Actually this bug can be triggered intentionally. And the items can get up to 4 x of the original value (1 x original value is added at every step. Example: A Item with 100 shield regen has after the 3 doubling steps 400 shield regen).

The bug has a disadvantage. Everytime, when it is triggered, you loose one place for a slot on the item. Every item can have up to 7 slots. A full bugged item is at 4 slots at legendary and thus maxed. The bug doubles not weapons and most items with white stats, but the places for slots are lost on all kinds of items! I suggest to test it with worthless items and chips before using valuable items and chips.

This bug can (and will) also be triggered unintentionally during chipping of many not legendary items. If you dont want to trigger it (especialy due slot loss!), ensure to have items slotted until legendary before you begin with chipping!

The steps are easy.

1. Get a grey item without extras or a green item with ONE extra (skip step 2 then!,... but beware, some green items may have hidden stats like "reduce powerload", if it turns orange (elite) on step 3, it had such hidden stat and its stat can now only be tripled).
2. Add ONE slot and add ONE chip (can be any kind of chip).
3. Add now TREE slots.
4. Add ONE (!!!) Chip (can be anykind of chip). The Chip adds now 100% of original stat value of item (some kinds of items sometimes or allways a bit less,.. reasons are not known).
5. Save and exit the game. Enter again and repeat with next Chip. Save and exit after every chip including the last.
6. Item is now ready.

I like this bug and i use it currently to power up my ship a bit more :D. My best powerplant allows a bit more than 12.000 powerload.

This works not on armor, but armor can be doubled with lithosoid skill and then multiplicated with the durability chip. The lithosoid double the original armor value. The outcome after lithosoid depends not on armor level or structure requirement! It depends only on the armor of the respective item.

Edit 06.08.2014: One additional warning. I just had to pay 18.000.000 repair costs for repair all, because i did not repair 5 items before maxing with this method. Ok, for me its not that bad, but many others would probably have big problems with it. The most valuable items (resists) had a value of more than 80.000.000 and caused repair costs of up to 5.000.000 each... and this despite the fact, that they had all unbreakable chips!!! To avoid such ridiculous costs or the lost of the functionality of the repair all button, i suggest to repair item before chipping and doubling and to think about if it would maybe be better to add a unbreakable chip. And if you ever forget it,... go to dryad, they have much cheaper repair costs.... i never thought, that i would be so happy about the dryad special.