PDA

View Full Version : [Mod Request/Idea] Crew cabin equip item's

laq
03-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Would it be possible to make an branch of new equip item that cannibalizes the cargo bays, into different size "crew cabins". Basically equipable storage box's for grouping crew into. So they don't hog all the light equipment slots

my balance "2 cents"
either make just light equips that increase in crew "slots" with item lvl etc

or make crew cabins of all equip sizes that "tier space" with equip size

either way the item should also connect to the rarity modifiers ie you can get crew cabins that increase stats give bonus etc like any other item

thx for consideration

ps ++ if you wanna/can get "fancy" crew happiness levels could be tied to the items as well for +- effect
eg a large capacity crew cabin that is minimalist conditions will drain your happiness fast but allow a large crew if you can "pay" to keep everyone happy etc

joku
03-10-2014, 03:19 AM
When it comes to this game you can modify the data, but you can't modify the code. If the code doesn't already exist, then you can't do it. In this case, the code would not support a storage bay in an equip slot.

The closest that could possibly (maybe) be done with this is adding another class of equipment (heavy, medium, light, and then crew). But I'm pretty sure the game's code wouldn't support more equip slots, nor do I think it would support limiting those slots to crew only.

Forevener
03-10-2014, 03:37 AM
When it comes to this game you can modify the data, but you can't modify the code.

And I keep asking Steven to externalize game code via scripting...

laq
03-10-2014, 12:41 PM
hi guys thanks so much for some rational explanations.
Could you please elaborate on "why" the game code is completely unavailable for modification in this game :)
thank you

Forevener
03-11-2014, 02:29 AM
hi guys thanks so much for some rational explanations.
Could you please elaborate on "why" the game code is completely unavailable for modification in this game :)
thank you
Because this game is not open source software.

laq
03-11-2014, 11:48 PM
Because this game is not open source software.

i know many other games allow much deeper customization/adding to their
code with out being open source

i meant more along the lines of is it simply a developer decision
or more of a purely technical reason ...

if it's just dev choice that's a massive black strike against my opinion of the game

Shadow
03-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Most games that have more customization is because they use a scripting language to implement a lot of things. We don't use a scripting language so it would be difficult to give access to the game code without releasing all of the code.

laq
03-12-2014, 01:24 PM
thank you shadow the "massive black strike" is greying :p

would a scripting api be implementable now (after the fact)?
why was the decision made to not use a scripting language in the first place?

as always thank you

Marikhen
05-14-2014, 05:21 AM
While scripting languages are more user friendly, and less of a security risk, I somewhat miss the days of Quake 2. I had some fun messing around with the source code for the gamex86.dll file. :D