PDA

View Full Version : Confusions unlocking Antients

DOP2please
04-07-2014, 03:24 AM
what do you have to do to unlock ancients? Please help me out, thanks

Tuidjy
04-07-2014, 05:56 AM
You cannot unlock them in the sense of playing as one.

Sometimes, randomly, an Ancient destroyer/dreadnaught will appear in a system, and start attacking everything. It can take over an existing colony (in the same way T/O/L do) and this planet will start an Empire. If you win (or I guess lose) the sector, and then leave while they still hold planets, the Ancient race will emerge.

Example:
You see a "An Ancient Morath dreadnaught has been seen in Sol."
You don't do anything about it, and in a while you see "The colony on Pron has been destroyed by an Ancient Morath dreadnaught".
At this point, the Morath empire appears in the sector, with one planet (the one destroyed by the ship).
You let them be, and you win the sector.
Once you leave, every sector that you start in the same galaxy will have a chance to have the Morath as a starting race.

Ancients are much stronger than normal races, and can be a nice challenge. Too many of them loose in your galaxy, and you will have a hard time getting anything but legend wins, though. This is because they do not ally with anyone, and once you end up fighting them, you get legend points for killing their ships. Before you can eliminate them, you may get enough for a legend win. Such sectors are hard, and do not bring much cash.

Yindo
04-07-2014, 06:32 AM
Tuidjy, think it would be easier to unlock more when doing the challenges?

Tuidjy
04-07-2014, 11:27 AM
I am unsure as to how things that happen in the challenges affect the galaxy you otherwise play in.

I know you can unlock subraces so that you can play them, but I am not sure that when you do so, they emerge in the galaxy you are otherwise playing in. I know even less about what happens to the Ancients, because I never let them live.

DOP2please
04-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Thank you so much Tuidjy for such a comprehensive answer!

I unlocked Morath yesterday and I thought that meant I should be able to play as one. Do the ancients have any special services or sell any especially useful components?

Also, as you play sectors above lvl 100 do the components dropped and sold continue to increase in power? They don't seem to.

Tuidjy
04-07-2014, 04:56 PM
No, the Ancients are just an added challenge. Some of them carry the best components of whatever they specialize (I remember shopping for computers at an Ancient planet) but you can get these elsewhere as well, so I usually exterminate them on sight.

By the way, that does not make them useless. They are a core component of my money making strategies. Nothing keeps alliances stable, scared, and willing to hire a mercenary like a powerful Ancient Empire in the sector. Ancients can easily carry a 1 on 3 war, which leaves you able to milk the other races.

---------------

As for components from sector level 100+, no they do not go over requirement 153. Once again, it is just added challenge - how tough can you make your ship once you cannot simply install the next component.

I like it this way, a lot, although I know it is not the way most developers do things nowadays. I hope Soldak resists the urge to allow power creep for the players, and provide better components at sector level 100+.

What I would do, if it were up to me, though, is that I would change item generation to have an upper AND lower limit for the quality of each stat/bonus. I would use something like

maximumPossibleValue = theoreticalMax * min (sectorLevel, 100)
minimumPossibleValue = theoreticalMax * (100 + sectorLevel) / 400

What would this do? At higher levels, all bonuses of all the drops would be guaranteed to be of some minimum quality. This means that at sector level 200 you would not be finding chips with +2 max power, and legendary weapons with +9% min damage. Each basic value and each bonus would be at least 75% of the maximum value (25% at sector level 1, 50% at sector level 100)

DOP2please
04-07-2014, 05:54 PM
I agree, power creep in game deign is becoming more and more of a problem. A lot of times it's makes accomplishments less rewarding and it's often a scapegoat due to lack of clever mechanics.

When I need money I start a tiny sector and go to war for credits. Often times you can go to war and then sign a peace treaty with races right after completing a quest and then then repeat. There are a lot of ways to get the most out of it. After the whole sector is a battle field I go for the fear win. Given you have a powerful ship, it's the fastest way I've found to earn credits.