PDA

View Full Version : Demon War Beta-Things to be clarified

DeathKnight1728
12-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Im making this thread to help shadow and everyone clarify things that need to be clarified and or worked on in the expansion. So far i have only played for 10 minutes and its pretty cool. The villagers are all shifty and you can donate money to them although i havent noticed anything happen to them cause of that.

-Ravage states that it damages 3 enemies in each attack. Further down it has listed- hit up to extra 2 enemies.

This is all ive encountered so far. Anyone that has beta and has something to point out like this is more than welcome to do so in this thread.

jeremyosborne
12-30-2010, 01:26 PM
I just couldn't help myself after downloading and installing the expansion... I cracked open the assets files.

Given how the database works on a sort of prototyping basis, I'm not sure if the following, of what looks like a copy-pasto, will make a Poor Town not actually work correctly, but the following is from line 124 of the worldModifiers2.gdb file:

WorldModifierPoorTown
{
Base BaseWorldModifier

Name $$WorldModifierPoorTown$$
Desc $$WorldModifierPoorTownDesc$$

ModifiedNumberMultNpcMoney -1.0

DisallowNpcTypeOnStart VendorWeapon
DisallowNpcTypeOnStart VendorArmor

MinPlayerLevel 10

IncompatibleModifier WorldModifierRichTown
}

WorldModifierPoorTown
{
Base BaseWorldModifier

Name $$WorldModifierPoorTown$$
Desc $$WorldModifierPoorTownDesc$$

MinPlayerLevel 10
}

On another note: a Gigantism modifier, now that's hilarious. I'm looking forward to that town.

GreatStalin
12-30-2010, 01:33 PM
'tis great so far, but I've encounted a couple of oddities!

Well, the first is probably nothing to do with the expansion, but I have actually not noticed it before. When you select multiple character 'Advanced Options', they just string together on the character pane, and then they no longer have room to fit on. Same as where you're selecting a character to play as.

Secondly, I started my first game with 'Invasion Mode' on, and immediately when I began, the town was being invaded by skeletons/zombies. A lot of NPCs died and were too turned into zombies. When people mentioned a particular NPC dying in this case (I'm not sure if it's because they were turned into zombies, or if it counts as me killing the NPC myself), what they were killed by would be blank. E.G.: 'Too bad Ward (Weaponsmith) got killed by a .'

Also, is Semi-Hardcore meant to stop you from accessing the Shared Stash like full on Hardcore? Just wondering!

EDIT:

I finally got a new Warmaster after the above-mentioned skeleton invasion killed my starting one. They had a quest for me to basically hold off against the 100 invasions. After taking the quest, it was then immediately completed and I could return it, stopping the invasions despite there only ever being 3 of them.

I had a quest from a Townsperson because they were starving. The quest text says: 'X has no money and is starving. If no help, X will likely starve to death. ...' I suppose it should say something like 'Without help' instead of 'If no help'.

DeathKnight1728
12-30-2010, 01:42 PM
I am playing as the warden for the demon hunter class and the wards are a bit unbalanced. Ive used them all and the only one that seems to be good is the fire one which gives you a nice damage increase. Cold is ok because it slows people down but lightning and poison are not the greatest. Lightning slows projectiles which doesnt seem to be the best but poison is better than it since it slows them, deals a bit of damage and gives resistance.

jeremyosborne
12-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Cosmetic Item

In the achievements page, some achievements are automatically accessible and were immediately granted upon my loading of the Demon War expansion. For example, my "More than 10 deaths" achievement was granted.

However, my "Rogue Granted Freedom" achievement was not granted until I loaded up my Rogue. Once I loaded up my Rogue, the achievement was granted.

EDIT Another Cosmetic Item

The Rabbit's Paw achievement just reads weird to me.

"Unlocks after having a character with at least +500% magic chance"

I believe how this should read is:

"Unlocks after having a character with at least +500% magic find chance"

FloodSpectre
12-30-2010, 01:52 PM
There should be some in-game info about recharging your teleport stone in either the tooltip text or the help dialogs that pop up for a new character. I'm admittedly not sure if it already is in the help section, but I thought I'd mention it regardless.

jeremyosborne
12-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Minor Cosmetic Item

Press "M" to pull up the full page map screen.

The text about the scroll bars at the bottom of the screen, at least on my monitor at my resolution (1600x900) runs out of the right hand side of the gold-band-outline.

FloodSpectre
12-30-2010, 02:03 PM
You can apparently still sell items to a vendor when viewing their inventory. I'm not sure this is intentional, but I thought it worth a mention.

jeremyosborne
12-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Collision Detection Changes?

My Necromancer is blocked a lot more often by my summoned guys. It makes sense for summoned monsters to take up space, but the pathing algorithm just can't work it's way around my lackeys. It's way more inconvenient than it was before, almost to the point of not being able to use Raise Dead summoned monsters in anything but very open rooms.

Monster Lightning Animation

Had some Saurian mages. They went through the cast motion, but only 1 out of about every 2 or 3 cast motions resulted in a lightning bolt. I took a snap shot, see attached, where my three Raise Dead summons did not produce a lightning bolt from their fingers.

jeremyosborne
12-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Pacing?

I'm still playing the very first town, the town that I had almost finished in the non-expansion version of Din's Curse.

I am being bombarded with quest, after quest, after quest, after quest, after quest from the townspeople, not to mention the dungeon has gone super aggro again.

The town is Elite level, I believe level 58, and my character is level 56.

I've been able to handle the speed of difficult towns in the past, and perhaps this isn't normal, but dang, my initial reaction is, "WHOA SLOW DOWN! I can only click the mouse so fast!"

The question: Has the pacing of quests been sped up? Or do I need to start playing Judge Dredd with the bad townspeople?

EDIT (Additional Info)

Maybe this is just a town with a lot of bad seeds, or maybe I should have restarted a new town upon loading the expansion, and I don't normally say this, but the townspeople are making this current game literally unplayable. From the moment I logged out to go play some more after posting this, I had a townsperson go pick a fight with my weaponsmaster. I killed the townsperson. I quite literally walked back to the portal, and then I had ANOTHER person pick a fight as well as someone let ANOTHER scout into the town.

UGH. This is annoying.

Nobear
12-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Jeremy, I experienced the cosmetic issue of not having certain achievements show up until I load that character as well. Shadow is now aware of the issue, from my "Share your achievements!" thread.

jeremyosborne
12-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Ego Weapon Levels

Very cool! I got an Ego Weapon Level up!

When I mouse over the Weapon and look at the tooltip pop-up, I don't see any evidence of progression.

Should there be a level display for the weapon, Like my Ego Weapon is now level 2?

jeremyosborne
12-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Jeremy, I experienced the cosmetic issue of not having certain achievements show up until I load that character as well. Shadow is now aware of the issue, from my "Share your achievements!" thread in the game forum.

Cool man! Thanks!

Nobear
12-30-2010, 03:21 PM
-Ravage states that it damages 3 enemies in each attack. Further down it has listed- hit up to extra 2 enemies.

This is not a typo. 3 enemies total = (1 enemy) + 2 EXTRA enemies.

FloodSpectre
12-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I had my first starving townsperson just now. The quest says to either pay off her debt or give her food to finish the quest, so this implies she doesn't have the money to purchase food for herself, but she's carrying 10SP on her and that should be enough to buy food with. Immediately after accepting the quest she gained 11 happiness and the quest obsoleted. Just in case it matters, this is a town I began pre-expansion.

The description of the quest has a typo too. "If no help, <townsperson> will likely starve..." should be "If she receives no help..."

One other little oddity. I've gotten two of the new townsperson quests so far, the aforementioned starving quest and the mining quest, and the descriptions for the quests are inconsistent with the base game's writing. All the original quests are written from the first person, ie, "Deliver this package for me", whereas the new ones are all from the third, "Whitney has no money and is starving." I'm not sure if this is an issue to you Shadow, but I thought I'd point it out.

Finally, the wording on the "mine gold" quest is off. One part says, "...but it's a bit too dangerous for them." Them should be replaced with either him or her, or with the NPC's name. The current wording just sounds wrong. Also, the "special gold vein" might better be referred to as the "specific gold vein".

One more thing: I got a message about an NPC falling to level 3 of the dungeon, so I headed down to find them. I immediately spotted someone, helped kill the monster they were fighting, and the NPC simply vanished. It wasn't the usual fade-out like wandering vendors like to do though, it was just an instant disappearing act. Additionally, the floor never showed a quest asterisk when viewing it in the gate menu, though I'm unsure as to whether it's supposed to in the first place.

Shadow
12-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Given how the database works on a sort of prototyping basis, I'm not sure if the following, of what looks like a copy-pasto, will make a Poor Town not actually work correctly, but the following is from line 124 of the worldModifiers2.gdb file:

I think it will still work correctly, but I've removed the 2nd entry for version 1.012.

The question: Has the pacing of quests been sped up? Or do I need to start playing Judge Dredd with the bad townspeople?

It hasn't been increased on purpose. I think what is happening is that there are a lot more sources of quests, so I need to go in and slow them all down a bit in the expansion.

When I mouse over the Weapon and look at the tooltip pop-up, I don't see any evidence of progression.

Should there be a level display for the weapon, Like my Ego Weapon is now level 2?

It does show you the min level to equip, which is essentially the weapon's level.

DeathKnight1728
12-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Ive been using the demonologist class and blood sacrifice is good. The only problem is the health that you get damaged per second is kind of a lot. At lvl 3 it already deals 60 damage total! Can you imagine that if you get it to lvl 20-40. 400 damage total for 1 casting. I might have to buy 18 extra pots!

DeathKnight1728
12-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Edit-double posted

jeremyosborne
12-30-2010, 04:15 PM
It hasn't been increased on purpose. I think what is happening is that there are a lot more sources of quests, so I need to go in and slow them all down a bit in the expansion.

That makes sense. I'm still slowly slogging my way through that first town, which was a very large town. I think I'm finally, finally turning the tide. I'll post a brief write up of the town with screen shots after I finally save it.

It does show you the min level to equip, which is essentially the weapon's level.

Oh I meant that the Ego weapons could get an Experience level, much like the character. Each level up the Ego Weapon receives would make display in the Weapon tooltip. For example: I've now received two "Level Ups" for my really deadly ego axe. I was thinking that would make it an "Ego Weapon (Level 2)"

FloodSpectre
12-30-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure if this is anything, but my current dungeon (still a pre-expansion town) is only generating the Toxic variant of Rylor. All three types of Rylor have been appearing (I really like the horned ones btw, they put up a good fight) but all of them are Toxic. The main reason I mention this is because the town has been cursed, and the cure is supposed to be seven Shock Rylor horns from level 4, but no horned Rylor are appearing there, let along Shock variants.

I suppose it's also possible I'm having some bad luck here ;)

Shadow
12-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Oh I meant that the Ego weapons could get an Experience level, much like the character. Each level up the Ego Weapon receives would make display in the Weapon tooltip. For example: I've now received two "Level Ups" for my really deadly ego axe. I was thinking that would make it an "Ego Weapon (Level 2)"

That is basically what will happen except the weapon won't likely start at level 1. The min level will increase each time it levels up.

jeremyosborne
12-30-2010, 04:24 PM
I didn't count, but I believe so far I've had ~10 different "towns person did something bad, find the evidence."

I love that added wrinkle of hunting down evidence for the townspeople. But can we please make the evidence hunts less "find the needle in the haystack?"

I think all ARPGs need a bit more in the "R" department, so the town interaction is definitely about 50 steps in the right direction. But evidence will wind up in weird locations that are hard to find since the game world cannot be rotated. Also, having to run back to town to find out who let yet another evil monster into my town or poisoned the water supply is just a bit much for my nerves. My experience of the towns people so far is that I should kill them faster than I kill the monsters.

This is, as always, my personal opinion. As my wife does, take everything I say with a grain of salt, maybe some lime, and maybe a shot of tequila.

Thoughts though about other options for "finding the evidence to punish the bad towns person?"

jeremyosborne
12-30-2010, 04:25 PM
That is basically what will happen except the weapon won't likely start at level 1. The min level will increase each time it levels up.

Now I understand. That works for me.

Shadow
12-30-2010, 04:27 PM
I suppose it's also possible I'm having some bad luck here ;)

That's what I would guess, but I'll make sure the Shock variants can spawn also.

Nobear
12-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Typo: Demon Armor (Demonologist): Using pieces of vanguished demons [should be vanquished]

PixelLord
12-30-2010, 04:37 PM
That makes sense. I'm still slowly slogging my way through that first town, which was a very large town. I think I'm finally, finally turning the tide. I'll post a brief write up of the town with screen shots after I finally save it.

I had a similar town testing yesterday - 230 quests solved, 67 failed, 47 NPCs killed. Way too many NPCs fighting, killed off all vendors early on - lost the warmaster at least twice, dungeons super-thick with monsters, town attacks every few seconds at times. Managed to finish it after many hours. Tough and tedious. Told Shadow who's waiting for feedback from other beta testers like you, Jeremy.

My next town was much easier.. but wow, that last one!

Stardusts
12-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Just went through my 1st lv100 town on fast pace. I chose Invasion mode but it started as a normal town, is the feature not available? I guess I was lucky, no fight ever break out in town only an overlord in the last dungeon level spawning all kind of stuff forcing me to run around quite a bit to hunt them. There is a blue vortex from the temporal flux machine that doesn't apply anything to me or my pet, I wonder what it is?
There is one time when the overlord sent an elite to block a gate and it was rather frustrating for me because the entrance to that level was a long run from the nearest gate. I would like to see it changes into the overlord sending a group of monsters lead by "xxx" elite to guard the gate and when you choose to teleport there a message "The gate is guarded, are you sure you want to go through?" would pop to confirm so the player can try to fight or run to the gate (after die trying to fight of course :D).

FloodSpectre
12-30-2010, 08:19 PM
There is a blue vortex from the temporal flux machine that doesn't apply anything to me or my pet, I wonder what it is?

I'm pretty sure it should just randomize the time that DoTs last, maybe some other time-altering effects too.

Tar Palantir
12-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Somehow installing the patch or the beta zeroed the kills/deaths counter, I find myself with a lvl 59 warrior, 300 and a few kills for 1 death. However the achievement for the first 1000 kills is unlocked. :confused:

DeathKnight1728
12-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Roast quail has -6000 hunger on its label. Im not sure if this has been mentioned.

DeathKnight1728
12-31-2010, 01:37 AM
The warden is an awesome class but the wards are weird. Poison for example states something about increasing attack speed (or lowering it) when i used it it only damages the enemy and gives me resistance. The damage isnt very great either (1 per level).

Fire is obviously the best one to use, giving you a lot of damage and 50% fire resist at lvl 1!

Cold is 2nd place with the attack speed and movement slow ok.

Lightning is the worst. While it gives you resistance and lowers projectiles, thats not much considering what fire, cold, and even poison do. I would suggest since lightning is a bit weak, give a small bonus to critical hit chance for lightning ward to make it worth it since lightning attacks are usually all about criticals.

The only other thing that needs to be done for the wards (majorly) is making it an actual radius that shows up instead of just a light. This would greatly help when getting chased by a mob, you can actually see where it is. And also if the time limit can be shown on the skill. Maybe even increase a little per level, idk. Just thoughts.

Shadow
12-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Just went through my 1st lv100 town on fast pace. I chose Invasion mode but it started as a normal town, is the feature not available? There is a blue vortex from the temporal flux machine that doesn't apply anything to me or my pet, I wonder what it is?

Invasion is supposed to work. It might be a level 100 issue or it couldn't find a reasonable enemy.

Temporal fluxes slow down any projectiles that come into range.

Roast quail has -6000 hunger on its label. Im not sure if this has been mentioned.

The hunger part is for the hunger mode that can be chosen on new characters.

Shadow
12-31-2010, 04:42 PM
The text about the scroll bars at the bottom of the screen, at least on my monitor at my resolution (1600x900) runs out of the right hand side of the gold-band-outline.

Can you get me a screenshot of this?

jeremyosborne
12-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Can you get me a screenshot of this?

Of course, attached.

I had to shrink the screen shot down to get below file size limits on the board.

If you squint, you can see how the word "map" runs off into the icon.

This is straight from the game, non of my UI tinkering has been done this screen.

If it helps, my system:

Windows XP 64bit Professional
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
Driver version 8.753.0.0
Driver last updated 7/6/2010
Resolution: 1600x900

I can get you any other stats you need, let me know.

In general, fonts always seem a bit large on my monitor, which is really nice because I like large fonts. I do notice things tend to look a bit squeezed though, too, like most of the button text, and of course the text in this image.

FloodSpectre
12-31-2010, 08:29 PM
I had an earthquake machine build an anti-magic machine today, and in the typos thread another member reported a similar machine building a machine behavior.

FloodSpectre
12-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Another little oddity. The Reaver's skill Fire Strike does +10% physical damage, but no fire damage. I'm assuming it's supposed to do some fire damage based on the name and the description. In the same vein, I'm wondering if Fire Strike and Inferno benefit from the Fire Mastery skill.

DeathKnight1728
01-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Maybe im losing it but sometimes when i go back to the game after i turn it off-i come back to having all quests unassigned and all gates not available. Im sure this has been mentioned. It can be fairly annoying when going all the way back to lvl 4 from scratch.

FloodSpectre
01-01-2011, 04:20 PM
In the bestiary under the Krall Worker entry there's no mention of their Demon Mark ability.

Caal
01-01-2011, 05:14 PM
I had a similar issue to DeathKnight's, although in addition to losing all the gates, the dungeon actually became larger (went from 5 to 9 levels) and some of the Unknown Gates were marked as known.

Edit: This is still in v 1.012

iligiann
01-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I had a similar issue to DeathKnight's, although in addition to losing all the gates, the dungeon actually became larger (went from 5 to 9 levels) and some of the Unknown Gates were marked as known.

Edit: This is still in v 1.012

This happens when you start a small game, save and exit, and quitting the game. I've recreated this bug twice just to be sure.

edit: also tried it with a large world. seems that after exiting the game, the next time you load your character, the world changes back to normal, all quest are removed from your log and level maps and teleporters are reseted.

Out of topic. Very nice expansion so far. Also, a happy new year to everyone at soldak and the community.

jeremyosborne
01-02-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm having a senior moment and forgetting what the purple icon stands for, I believe it's the "Boss" distinction.

I've been noticing, and I believe it's since 1.011, a lot more purple named monsters in my dungeon, but I've not seen quests attached to them.

In the town I just cleared -- Beta Demon War + 1.012 -- I noticed 2 purple named monsters in level 2 of my dungeon. I killed them, and then went looking for what I thought would be a quest giver. There were two "revenge quest" givers, but not for the monsters I killed. The monsters that I killed also had different names. When I went to town, there were also no spontaneously solved quests from the Warmaster or Din.

Not sure if this is intended or not. I sure don't mind more named unique monsters in the dungeon, but if "purple" should only be applied to monsters attached to quests, I have seen probably a total of 7 recently that haven't.

Nobear
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
To be honest, I don't know what each of the colors stand for. Since super bosses are purple too, I assume the other purples are the 2nd hardest. Not sure how they rank below that though. I think all colors can show up with and without quests, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ghost Matter
01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Got a sleazy wandering gambler. He gambles only with normal items and never leaves my town. Two other wanderers have had time to come and go but the bastard is still here, selling his crap to unsuspecting villagers and heroes.

icecube
01-03-2011, 12:58 PM
This happens when you start a small game, save and exit, and quitting the game. I've recreated this bug twice just to be sure.

edit: also tried it with a large world. seems that after exiting the game, the next time you load your character, the world changes back to normal, all quest are removed from your log and level maps and teleporters are reseted.

Out of topic. Very nice expansion so far. Also, a happy new year to everyone at soldak and the community.

I think this may also cause other problems. I started a small, very fast pace town last night and exited before I went into the dungeons. Started playing it this morning and the dungeons look strange (plus it's 12 floors now).
There are a lot of obelisks sitting around (sanctuary), money chests in groups (treasure rooms), weapon/armor stands in groups (armory), and unknown gates galore (teleport room). I've found 15 of the gates now, fun! None of these are in any rooms with doors, in fact I haven't seen any of those rooms. Also, there were 6 or 7 prisoner NPCs spread throughout the first dungeon.

PixelLord
01-03-2011, 02:52 PM
I think this may also cause other problems. I started a small, very fast pace town last night and exited before I went into the dungeons. Started playing it this morning and the dungeons look strange (plus it's 12 floors now).
There are a lot of obelisks sitting around (sanctuary), money chests in groups (treasure rooms), weapon/armor stands in groups (armory), and unknown gates galore (teleport room). I've found 15 of the gates now, fun! None of these are in any rooms with doors, in fact I haven't seen any of those rooms. Also, there were 6 or 7 prisoner NPCs spread throughout the first dungeon.

Part of the problem was some level errors, which have now been corrected (will be fixed in the next patch), were causing some of the money chests, weapon stands, armor stands, and other problems in certain levels.

Amberjoy
01-03-2011, 04:42 PM
I don't recall this happening before I put in the expansion, when down in the dungeons every once in a while someone is muttering in the background. Sounds kinda like Din but I can't quite make out the words. It's annoying not to know if its vital knowledge or not. Should I just ignore as background noise?

Shadow
01-03-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't recall this happening before I put in the expansion, when down in the dungeons every once in a while someone is muttering in the background. Sounds kinda like Din but I can't quite make out the words. It's annoying not to know if its vital knowledge or not. Should I just ignore as background noise?

It's just for mood, no vital knowledge.

Nobear
01-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I like the new ambiance stuff honestly. Just made a thread on my thoughts and suggestions about sound. If you have comments about sound, check out the "Sound Suggestions (Tori Kamal?)" thread.

DeathKnight1728
01-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Does anyone think that the rylor bulls stun way too much? Im getting stunned 3 out of 5 times and i cant figure out if its because my armor is too low. Does chance to be stunned have something to do with your armor score?

FloodSpectre
01-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Does anyone think that the rylor bulls stun way too much? Im getting stunned 3 out of 5 times and i cant figure out if its because my armor is too low. Does chance to be stunned have something to do with your armor score?

I didn't think it was so bad myself, but I also try to draw them away from other enemies to avoid getting stun-swarmed. I don't think anything resists stunning either.

Shadow
01-04-2011, 12:15 PM

It's just a matter if the attack hits, so it is defense related not armor.

Herder of Cats
01-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm unsure whether it's a bug or a feature, but the last town only had a single Vendor (so no ability to repair items), and my current one has no vendors of any sort at all!

Is this the game just making my life more complicated?

Roswitha
01-04-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm unsure whether it's a bug or a feature, but the last town only had a single Vendor (so no ability to repair items), and my current one has no vendors of any sort at all!

Is this the game just making my life more complicated?

That's a feature. It's one of the side effects of a completely random town. Watch for wandering vendors showing up just inside the town gates, and also down in the dungeon.

This is one reason why you should fill up on food and repairs (if possible) after you finish one town and before you go to the next.

DeathKnight1728
01-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Vortar guardians are insane! I just managed to somehow fight off 3 of them while they summoned a new critter every 5 second. Shadow, can the amount of creatures summoned be toned down a bit. As it stands right now if i dont get to kill the main guy right away he'lll summon enough for the entire screen.

FloodSpectre
01-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Vortar guardians are insane! I just managed to somehow fight off 3 of them while they summoned a new critter every 5 second. Shadow, can the amount of creatures summoned be toned down a bit. As it stands right now if i dont get to kill the main guy right away he'lll summon enough for the entire screen.

Maybe cap the number each can have summoned at once (say, four maybe?), just like with summoner PCs. For extra fun, the cap could go up with each town difficulty level increase (+1 or 2 summons for champion, again for elite, etc). I'd prefer quick summons with a cap over slowed down summons personally.

DeathKnight1728
01-04-2011, 10:29 PM
You missed the point though. They dont just summon regular monsters, they summon champions, elites and maybe even uniques. Ive seen the first 2. Can you imagine a regular vortar guardian level 30 summoning a champion or elite monster, its crazy.

FloodSpectre
01-04-2011, 10:39 PM
You missed the point though. They dont just summon regular monsters, they summon champions, elites and maybe even uniques. Ive seen the first 2. Can you imagine a regular vortar guardian level 30 summoning a champion or elite monster, its crazy.

Ah, you didn't actually say that in your post, but I had a feeling they were able to do so (like Amorphs and their splitting into Elites...).

DeathKnight1728
01-04-2011, 11:07 PM
This is probably a stupid question but the fire strike attack of the reaver states that it is physical damage being done. I used it and it is really fire damage. Will the damage done by the attack be affected by your weapon for ALL people hit and be affected by the fire mage subclass in case i wanted to make that. I think someone said something about this but i never actually got the word from shadow.

Shadow
01-05-2011, 10:52 AM
This is probably a stupid question but the fire strike attack of the reaver states that it is physical damage being done. I used it and it is really fire damage. Will the damage done by the attack be affected by your weapon for ALL people hit and be affected by the fire mage subclass in case i wanted to make that. I think someone said something about this but i never actually got the word from shadow.

It is based on your weapon damage.

I don't think I have any synergies set up between the Demon Hunter and the other classes right now.

DeathKnight1728
01-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Do staves count as twohanded weapons when it comes to twohanded mastery for the reaver? I am just wondering as it would be cool to use a staff as something different instead of a twohanded sword or axe or maul.

icecube
01-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Do staves count as twohanded weapons when it comes to twohanded mastery for the reaver? I am just wondering as it would be cool to use a staff as something different instead of a twohanded sword or axe or maul.

Thank you for mentioning this..

I (and someone else I believe) have a Reaver/Fire Mage because I got an awesome staff that I wanted to use. I just assumed that staves counted as 2H weapons and never bothered to actually test it. However, I tested it (took away skill level) and it didn't change my damage like it did for other 2H weapons. Nice to know.

DeathKnight1728
01-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Really? That sucks. Hopefully shadow can rectify this is one of the future patches.

DeathKnight1728
01-05-2011, 03:55 PM
did anyone hear anything about 1.13? I cant wait until the small towns are actually small. Sometimes they are 12 layers deep :mad:

Shadow
01-05-2011, 04:48 PM
I (and someone else I believe) have a Reaver/Fire Mage because I got an awesome staff that I wanted to use. I just assumed that staves counted as 2H weapons and never bothered to actually test it. However, I tested it (took away skill level) and it didn't change my damage like it did for other 2H weapons. Nice to know.

Yeah, staffs don't get a boost right now. The reaver specialty can't even use a staff.

did anyone hear anything about 1.13? I cant wait until the small towns are actually small. Sometimes they are 12 layers deep :mad:

I'm hoping tomorrow and I believe I have the world size working correctly now.

DeathKnight1728
01-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Has anyone else tried using the demon control skill at 10 points. Its really not worth it and the time is all messed up. At level 32 it states that i can control a demon for .3 seconds. Makes for some short summoning. That wouldnt be so bad if there wasnt a timer to wait another minute to use again. That minute can be your death. To be honest, aside from impale, the demonologist makes for one of the worst classes to hybrid.

DeathKnight1728
01-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Ive been playing for the warden and its actually not a bad class. I cant wait till i can use the shield stun attack that hits up to 5 enemies. I have a question for shadow however. The spirit strike attack that is 1 point has fire come out of it. Is this supposed to be a flame attack or is it a magic attack. I am just wondering because if it is a magical attack wouldnt it look kinda like shield blasts animation style. Idk, just wondering.

By the way shadow, i just noticed that shield blasts stun isnt working. I used it on a lvl2 boss and even though it was supposed to be 5 seconds, it didnt register.

Shadow
01-06-2011, 09:55 AM
The spirit strike attack that is 1 point has fire come out of it. Is this supposed to be a flame attack or is it a magic attack. I am just wondering because if it is a magical attack wouldnt it look kinda like shield blasts animation style. Idk, just wondering.

No it doesn't and isn't supposed to have fire damage. The effect does make it seem that way though.

DeathKnight1728
01-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Does anyone know if the warlocks summons are better in demon war? I have been away from the conjurer class and i know that the necromancer is still good. I favor the warlock though and i want to know if the chaos lord is improved. I heard something about a few changes but dont know what exactly changed.

Shadow
01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Does anyone know if the warlocks summons are better in demon war? I have been away from the conjurer class and i know that the necromancer is still good. I favor the warlock though and i want to know if the chaos lord is improved. I heard something about a few changes but dont know what exactly changed.

The only thing I remember changing is the summoned chaos lords no longer taunt (so they will attack more).

DeathKnight1728
01-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Just wondering shadow, how does the expansion pack major changes and stability fare? I am wondering when some of the new demon hunter classes will get modified. I tried using the wards for the warden and they either dont do what they say or it isnt stated. Has anyone played for the warden's wards and skills or demonologist or am i the only one. It seems most people are playing the reaver.

Bluddy
01-16-2011, 04:14 AM
I haven't gotten the expansion yet -- I'm still just in my early stages of exploring Din's Curse. However, from reading people's reactions, and not finding specifications of what exactly the NPC enhancements are planned to be, I'm a little worried about the changed dynamics of DC in the expansion. Specifically, having to worry about unhappy NPCs -- and it sounds like currently there are many of those.

I love the dynamics of DC as they are -- diving into the dungeons and then rushing back to defend the townies. I don't think NPC happiness should be occupying much of my time while the dungeon is active, nor should the NPCs have too much strife between them. A town with a dungeon full of monsters will be a crappy place to live in, but one imagines that NPCs will band together despite their differences for the common cause -- just as real humans do. So the tensions might be bubbling under the surface, but while there's an active dungeon boss causing trouble for the town, the people will just suck it up. I think once the dungeon's been fought off and the main quests have been done -- that's when the town strife should show up and make things interesting again.

As an idea, a town that's too fractured and hateful won't be able to build its defenses in time and a new, stronger dungeon boss might arrive. This could also make the decision to leave a saved town more strategic -- do I leave the saved town while I can, or do I stay and risk not being able to make the townies work together, which might allow more boss creatures to arrive?

Anyway, this is the kind of direction I'd like to see the expansion go in, as opposed to making me babysit the NPCs in addition to fighting the monsters in the dungeon.

pnakotus
01-16-2011, 05:01 AM
So turn it off.

I just wish the more mundane NPC quests could be solved by other NPCs; the warmaster shouldn't starve because I'm busy when the guy standing right next to him is his best mate and has piles of money.

Most of the NPC stuff is either ignorable or just moves standard stuff into the town; the only missions that take up any of my groups' time is searching for evidence, which only takes one person and has the effect of making other quests easier.

The dynamic plots that emerge from the NPC code is fantastic; now we just need other gods to have their own heroes and we'll have Depths of Peril going on.

Nobear
01-16-2011, 02:03 PM
There are currently three ways to dramatically tone down things that stem from NPC unhappiness:

1) In the world creation screen, there's a new option to choose NPC pace, so you can change this to slow.

2) There's also a low stress option, which completely removes certain things like town attacks.

3) You can level. At 50+, NPCs seem to be worlds happier than at low level. I was playing only at 50+, and playing nearly every day since Demon War came out, I never saw most of the NPC bad behavior people were complaining about, even once. I actually really wanted to, because I love crazy towns.

Well, just yesterday I played a level 20 multiplayer game, and it was the craziest game any of us had ever seen. 2 or 3 town attacks at once, so close together that the town attack sound and icon was on literally more than it was off. The warmaster died, and when we finally got a new one, it took us about 4 trips back and forth between town attacks just to turn all the quests in, and finally I decided to just sit there for a couple minutes turning stuff in while others defended the town. This was not invasion mode or anything. And yeah, there was some NPC misbehavior on top of all this.

Option 3 is a bug which Shadow is aware of, and is trying to get to the bottom of. Ideally, when Demon War goes live, the NPC pace will be even or maybe slightly increase throughout the levels. But there's still the slow NPC pace option, in addition to your slow pace and very slow pace, and the low stress option.

There are certainly ways to make your game relaxed, if that's what you want, in Demon War. It still has lots of other appeal, like the new demons and environments and other quest variety.

Nobear
01-22-2011, 05:03 PM
From patch 1.016 notes: levels next to a persistent level are no longer persistent themselves

??? What kinds of levels are you talking about, and which ones are persistent?

Shadow
01-22-2011, 05:42 PM
From patch 1.016 notes: levels next to a persistent level are no longer persistent themselves

??? What kinds of levels are you talking about, and which ones are persistent?

The town is persistent (as in always loaded) which was forcing the first level of the dungeon to always be loaded