PDA

View Full Version : Where to Put Expansion Mods?

jeremyosborne
12-31-2010, 11:40 AM
I notice that after installing the Expansion, I now have two Assets Directories

Din's Curse/Assets

and

Din's Curse/Expansions/DemonWar/Assets

What is the file reading precedence when it comes to working with Expansion(s)?

Is there any reason in the future we will want to put mods in the Expansions/*/Assets folders?

Shadow
12-31-2010, 12:34 PM
In general things in the Demon War directory will override normal assets.

Technically you can put stuff in either place, but it's really going to boil down to where the user drops the zip file.

Caal
12-31-2010, 07:25 PM
I made a test mod that increases the stack size for powerups (found in DW), and put that in the expansion's asset folder, and that works fine. I'm not sure it would work if it is in the DC asset folder - it would depend on the order the asset files get loaded. If the expansion files get loaded after the DC ones, then a DW mod in the DC asset folder would get overwritten by the normal DW assets when they are loaded.

jeremyosborne
01-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I made a test mod that increases the stack size for powerups (found in DW), and put that in the expansion's asset folder, and that works fine. I'm not sure it would work if it is in the DC asset folder - it would depend on the order the asset files get loaded. If the expansion files get loaded after the DC ones, then a DW mod in the DC asset folder would get overwritten by the normal DW assets when they are loaded.

A good one to test would be Magitek's Din's Additionals mod. I haven't used that with the expansion, but given it seems to have a good following, if people are having problems with it, they should try placing it in the new assets folder.

Archon
01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
In general things in the Demon War directory will override normal assets.

Technically you can put stuff in either place, but it's really going to boil down to where the user drops the zip file.

Would you recommend as a good rule of thumb to put mods in the expansion assets directory? I tried out the Unlock Modes Mod in the Din's Curse assets directory with Demon War installed and the words "Hardcore" and "Cursed" overlay in large font over the now smaller font for the Demon War character modifer list. Would it have made a difference in the newer assets directory?

Shadow
01-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Would you recommend as a good rule of thumb to put mods in the expansion assets directory? I tried out the Unlock Modes Mod in the Din's Curse assets directory with Demon War installed and the words "Hardcore" and "Cursed" overlay in large font over the now smaller font for the Demon War character modifer list. Would it have made a difference in the newer assets directory?

In this case it wouldn't have mattered any. The mod just tries to display on top of the old stuff, but the location has changed recently.

I would guess they would work a bit more consistently in the expansion directory.