PDA

View Full Version : Relations bug

Bluddy
05-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Reposting here:

Shadow, I believe I've found a bug in the relations file. BaseMonsterFaction isn't set to hate any one of RaceTalon, RaceLegion or RaceOverlord. This is why they're never attacked by monsters, and why they have such a huge advantage in the later levels where monsters are much stronger.

Shadow
05-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Shadow, I believe I've found a bug in the relations file. BaseMonsterFaction isn't set to hate any one of RaceTalon, RaceLegion or RaceOverlord. This is why they're never attacked by monsters, and why they have such a huge advantage in the later levels where monsters are much stronger.

It's not really a bug, but I might change it anyways so that the monster races aren't quite as bad.

Bluddy
05-26-2014, 12:04 PM
It's not really a bug, but I might change it anyways so that the monster races aren't quite as bad.

It seems like a bug/typo because you override for example the Talon monster factions with 100 relations to the Talon Race, which seems to imply that you believed you were overriding a default low relations value:

BaseTalonFaction
{
Base BaseMonsterFaction

BaseOnly 1

DefaultReputation 50.0

ReputationWith FactionRaceTalon
ReputationFactionRaceTalon 100.0
}

And the same is true for Legion and Overlord.

So it definitely looks like you were planning for the monster races to only be friendly with their own monster factions, which certainly makes sense.

Bluddy
05-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Unless I'm reading it wrong... am I?

EDIT: OK yeah. The DefaultReputation threw me off. I think that's meant to make sure that monsters don't attack each other unless they're meant to. I do believe there was probably an assumption when first modifying the file that Talon will not have a high reputation with RaceLegion, for example.

Shadow
05-26-2014, 01:40 PM
It works the way I meant it to. Generally the 3 monster groups don't attack each other, having this continue when they became a race is just keeping this behavior consistent. Now having said that, I am considering changing it.

Bluddy
05-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Ah ok, that does make sense. I think the change makes sense as well.