PDA

View Full Version : Invasion Mode: Ideas for Improvement

Nobear
01-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Now that Invasion Mode works as intended, I started a Fast Paced multiplayer town in Invasion Mode with me and another level 60 or so. Through the course of a few invasions, we cleared all the other quests. Ok, now what? 100 waves with 10 min in between would take 1,000 min = 16.7 hours. That's ridiculous, especially when almost all that time would be spent waiting. Here are a few suggestions to make it work:

1) Have a button to send the next wave early. If this is already implemented, I'm going to laugh at myself hard, because I just took a 1 level xp penalty for abandoning that town.

and/or

2) When all other necessary quests are finished, accelerate the pace of waves to 1 every 30 sec. This would make the ending invasion-only phase take at most 50 min.

and/or

3) Give the player the option of turning in the invasion quest at any time after all other necessary quests are completed. However, the player will only get the achievement and a significant reward (Large Reward Chest maybe) by defeating all 100 waves.

In addition (sorry if you've already done this and I haven't seen it because I've only done the first few waves), I think it would make gameplay more exciting if the waves gradually increased in difficulty with each one. Start with 3 normal monsters, 4, 5, etc., up to about 10. Keeping the total crowd size around 10, start making one and then more of them Champions, then eventually start introducing Elites, then named enemies, then bosses. Have wave 100 consist of 1 super boss, 2 other purples, 3 named enemies and 4 Elites. Depending on the heroicness of the challenge, you could reward the 100th wave completion with something so far unseen. A Giant Reward Chest, a selection of unique rings/necklaces/jewelry with an unusually high chance of higher rarities, etc.

Alternately, you could keep the waves the same but decrease the time between them more and more with each wave.

Shadow
01-02-2011, 12:24 PM
They do get harder each wave. I like option #2.

Inspired
01-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I like the idea of having the button to press to send the next wave. If the wave comes every 30 seconds, you would eventually not have enough time to sell/repair/store the gear you may get.

Roswitha
01-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I like the idea of having the button to press to send the next wave. If the wave comes every 30 seconds, you would eventually not have enough time to sell/repair/store the gear you may get.

Maybe increase the time to 45 seconds after wave 50, or something like that.

Nobear
01-10-2011, 09:17 PM
We will get a chance to fine tune and give feedback once that mode is made playable at all. I'm anxious for patch 1.014 so I can at least have a chance to beat all 100 waves!

Inspired
01-10-2011, 09:28 PM
I am able to do the invasion wave quest..

Nobear
01-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Yes, but it currently takes 16.7 hours to complete. Did you really spend that much time on one town? If you did, I tip my hat to you.

Inspired
01-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I thought when you said 'playable at all".. you meant you couldn't play it "literally" at all..