PDA

View Full Version : Beta Demon War + 1.012 bugs

jeremyosborne
01-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure how fast and furious the patches are going to come out for the expansion, but I thought I'd make a thread. I have done many the bug hunt in my life, and while I'm sure Shadow is very well organized, if all of us could do one of the following:

* Post Demon War + 1.012 specific bugs to this thread.
* Include in your posts if you're reporting bugs from here on out whether the bug is specifically with 1.011 or 1.012 (or of course whatever version the bug is with).
* Or whatever Shadow says that might nullify this post.

Being able to specifically organize bugs by version really does help.

FloodSpectre
01-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Yeah, it's probably best to keep everything in one place. I realize now I've reported a number of bugs and other issues across many different threads, and it's probably a pain to go through them all looking for bugs people have found. I'll keep my typo finds in their respective thread though.

I'll compile my current ones here:

1: Demon Gates don't appear to do anything at all. No spawning, no consuming corpses for health, nothing. (1.012)

2: The equipping NPC screen tells us we can only give them cloth, but they'll also wear leather. (1.012)

3: Machines can build new machines. I've had an earthquake machine build an anti-magic machine, for example. I haven't had any machines in my latest town so I can't confirm if this is still an issue. (1.011)

4: The Reaver's Fire Strike ability does physical damage but doesn't do fire damage like the name and description imply. Furthermore, the description leads you to believe it's capable of striking multiple enemies, but I'm not sure if that's true or not (I haven't tried the new class yet). (1.012)

5: I'm not sure if the elemental masteries were meant to do so, but they don't say they affect any of the new skills. The Fire Mage's Fire Mastery skill doesn't say it affects Fire Strike, Fire Ward or Inferno. The same goes for the Ice Mage's Ice Mastery and Ice Ward or the Sorcerer's Lightning Mastery and the Lightning Ward. (1.012)

6: The bestiary doesn't mention the Krall Worker's Demon Mark ability. (1.012)

I'll post more later, I don't have time to add the rest at the moment.

DeathKnight1728
01-02-2011, 12:35 PM
-lost gate and quests when you return to a game. lost meaning the gates arent there and the quests have to be taken again by you from the quest givers.

-timer given on wards for the warden. Maybe even last a little longer with more points, though not much. The wards dont last long.

FloodSpectre
01-02-2011, 12:50 PM
One last issue. In 1.011 I had a townsperson lay a trapdoor trap in town, and it dropped an NPC down to level 3. I was surprised to find there was no quest to rescue said NPC though. I searched level 3 and briefly caught sight of another NPC but I couldn't tell if it was the townie in question because he just vanished a few seconds after I noticed him on the map. No body left behind, no message about him dying, nothing.

FloodSpectre
01-02-2011, 01:17 PM
4: The Reaver's Fire Strike ability does physical damage but doesn't do fire damage like the name and description imply. Furthermore, the description leads you to believe it's capable of striking multiple enemies, but I'm not sure if that's true or not (I haven't tried the new class yet). (1.012)

Ok, I made a Reaver and tried it out. The attack definitely hits multiple enemies in an arc in front of the character and it does some fire-based DoT, but neither of these effects are explicitly mentioned in the skill description.

Nobear
01-02-2011, 05:23 PM
The Small World option now sometimes works now for me, but usually doesn't. When I choose it among other things in world creation, it doesn't always show up as a modifier, and the dungeons are then average size (7 levels is average right?) (1.012)

RoanokeKeeper
01-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I noticed these random magical (purple) explosions ofter finishing off my battles. They we causing damage to my wizard character and all enemies. I couldn't figure out what was causing them until I notice the map says one of the conditions was 'frequent explosions' or something like that. It was helpful on the upper levels, but when I got down to about level 8, they would kill my wizard also. Eventually I get the 'Evil wins because of your incompetence.' message after dying so many times. I start a new town and still see the purple explosions although the map doesn't mention 'frequent explosions' this time.

The bug seems to be:
1. The explosions scale upward too quickly as dungeon level increases, at least for a wizard.
2. The 'frequent explosions' attribute seems to stay turned on when starting a new town.

I have a saved game where the explosions are occurring but shouldn't be if you need it.

Ghost Matter
01-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Consolidation of my previous posts:
- I have 13 spiders to squash, that is FAAAAR too much running around. Especially with other quests appearing or advancing.
- I saw a spider run out the town walls before I could get it... (EDIT: Saw another go right through the town wall.

- There's a buried treasure unreachable, just beyond a wall. No secret rooms at all.Problems (1.011)
-The town starves a lot. I guess it's because of the food prices but I can't find all the critters to step on... Anyway, I get lots of free reputation when I donate a little money to them. Money needed to save them should increase the longer the food reserves are low.
- Hard to investigate who's the traitor in town... Needs a tutorial.
- Fights stop and come back. Sometimes I can get 6 messages in 2 seconds of fighting stopped and restarted between townspeople.
- Gold quest said to find the townsperson in... level 12. "Talk to the Nike in XXX Level 12 when completed". Level 12 is where I mined, not where the townsperson is. I did search for him there and he wasn't! :PAnd my big issue: - quest log not saving during subsequents reloads, have to revisit everyone in town!

jeremyosborne
01-02-2011, 07:50 PM
So pure, it doesn't have any visible enhancements.

Tar Palantir
01-02-2011, 07:51 PM
I had one like that but before the demon war expansion already

jeremyosborne
01-02-2011, 07:53 PM
This might not be a bug, but the wording is confusing to me.

One of the enhancements for this cursed legendary sword reads:

5.7% chance to cast level 14 Slow (Cursed) on successful hit

If that actually means that slow will be cast on my own character 5.7 percent of the time, can we get that reworded to:

5.7% chance to cast level 14 Slow on wielder of weapon on successful hit

Jorlen
01-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Ok, I made a Reaver and tried it out. The attack definitely hits multiple enemies in an arc in front of the character and it does some fire-based DoT, but neither of these effects are explicitly mentioned in the skill description.

I couldn't manage to get more than one enemy to be affected by fire strike for some reason. It feels as though it should go a little further, otherwise Ravage seems to overshadow it's effectiveness by quite a bit.

Tar Palantir
01-02-2011, 08:12 PM
I don't know if it started with the expansion or 1.011 but now doors sometimes show up in the middle of a room or perpendicular to a wall

Nobear
01-02-2011, 08:59 PM
5.7% chance to cast level 14 Slow (Cursed) on successful hit

I think that means the version of the spell used (still on enemies) is weaker than normal, or the chance is lower than usual, but I'm not sure.

Nobear
01-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I noticed these random magical (purple) explosions ofter finishing off my battles. They we causing damage to my wizard character and all enemies. I couldn't figure out what was causing them until I notice the map says one of the conditions was 'frequent explosions' or something like that.

I think the frequent explosions modifier only affects how common explosive barrels are, possibly gas leaks too, but things limited to fire. Correct me if I'm wrong. The arcane explosions are just something you have to be very careful with as a wizard since you've got all these AOE spells that can easily set things off if you're not paying very close attention.

Ghost Matter
01-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Got a sleazy wandering gambler. He gambles only with normal items and never leaves my town. Two other wanderers have had time to come and go but the bastard is still here, selling his crap to unsuspecting villagers and heroes.

FloodSpectre
01-02-2011, 10:02 PM
I couldn't manage to get more than one enemy to be affected by fire strike for some reason. It feels as though it should go a little further, otherwise Ravage seems to overshadow it's effectiveness by quite a bit.

Weird. It worked pretty well for me, so long as the enemies were right on top of me... I'll mess around with it a bit more against larger enemies and see if that's the issue, as I was fighting imps and other small foes.

m0stly_harmless
01-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I've had to turn off all the eye candy in the game for it to run properly since this patch... :mad:

jeremyosborne
01-02-2011, 10:30 PM
I've had to turn off all the eye candy in the game for it to run properly since this patch... :mad:

I have everything cranked up still, but that's because I have a pretty decent graphics card.

That said, I have noticed a difference in two things:

There seems to be occasional delays that I can only attribute to loading new graphics that may have been pushed out of some sort of memory buffer. The time I see the greatest delay is when returning from a long dungeon romp and heading to the vendors. When I open the "trade" window, there is a noticeable delay, around a half second, that never used to be there.
The snow and the vortex in the dungeon cause an ever so slight frame rate deduction on my monitor. Din's Curse used to be super screaming fast. Now it's just screaming fast. If there is an FPS display that I've missed, I'll turn it on in troublesome sections and snap some screen shots.

PS. m0stly_harmless, this isn't meant to be a "hey let's compare graphics cards" post. I wanted to take the opportunity to agree with you that there is definitely a difference between the graphics of vanilla din's curse 1.010 and din's curse plus beta patch plus demon's war.

m0stly_harmless
01-03-2011, 11:01 AM
No worries. I'm not for pissin' contests either. Anyone with a decent pocket calculator can whoop my video card's performance.

That said, it's why my Brother hooked me up with Din's to begin with. It was a decent dungeon crawler that was low on system requirements to play.

And play I did. My last mouse died playing Din's. :D

That said, I posted the issue cause I feel that it's a bug in this new pack.

I'm all up for progress and innovation, but not when it costs playability. Something changed in the graphics engine and the newtork settings which have made Din's all but unplayable for me now.

And that's my gripe.

Shadow
01-03-2011, 12:27 PM
You can see the fps, by bringing the console down (~ key), typing in fps 1 and hitting enter. Get rid of the console again with the ~ key again. The fps should display in the upper left corner.

Sinister Stairs
01-03-2011, 01:28 PM
This is probably not a bug, but I'm mentioning it here in case it's an oversight:

The Reaver's Two-Handed Mastery doesn't seem to affect bows, which are also two-handed. If it's intentional, perhaps the skill help should read, "Improves combat performance with two-handed melee weapons."

Nobear
01-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Even though bows take two hands, they're typically considered separate in these kinds of games. But I'd also like to know if they, and staves for that matter, are considered 2H weapons in this game.

Nobear
01-03-2011, 06:46 PM
No worries. I'm not for pissin' contests either. Anyone with a decent pocket calculator can whoop my video card's performance.

LOL that's hilarious. Well my card is none too hot either (Intel GMA X3100), and I agree with you on all points.

Shadow, I appreciate that you made the anti-magic and similar effects less demanding with patch 1.012, but now they also look less obvious. Sometimes I start trying to cast spells because I don't notice the effect. I'd suggest instead making their quality an option in the video settings, so players with fast computers can see them how they were. For the lowest setting, I'd suggest replacing the effect with something entirely different and more obvious, rather than toning the current effect down to the point of it being less obvious.

RoanokeKeeper
01-03-2011, 07:04 PM
I think the frequent explosions modifier only affects how common explosive barrels are, possibly gas leaks too, but things limited to fire. Correct me if I'm wrong. The arcane explosions are just something you have to be very careful with as a wizard since you've got all these AOE spells that can easily set things off if you're not paying very close attention.

I know about the barrels, mushrooms, and arcane clouds. I've also seen those little bombs that the demons drop, but I can't figure out the source for these random arcane explosions that follow a fireball, dropping all enemies and damaging my wizard. Could it be an explosion from a demon dying or something?

FloodSpectre
01-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Descended to a level of the dungeon full of undead, liches and plaguebringers today and spotted two issues. First up, when an undead trumpeter is raised from the dead by the lich it becomes an "undead undead trumpeter" and is reskinned with the "raised dead" skin. Second, an undead plaguebringer larva presumably raised by a lich still decided to attack (and kill) it. I thought once a monster was raised as undead it allied with the normal undead?

Nobear
01-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I think the undead undead stuff is classic and should be kept, but that's just me. It takes me back to the days of Doom II. Since the boss of Doom was The Spider Mastermind, and he was reintroduced as a normal enemy in Doom II, when one killed you it would read "You were killed by a The Spider Mastermind."

Or from WoW: "Enraged Earth Elemental becomes Enraged!"

Shadow
01-03-2011, 07:28 PM
I know about the barrels, mushrooms, and arcane clouds. I've also seen those little bombs that the demons drop, but I can't figure out the source for these random arcane explosions that follow a fireball, dropping all enemies and damaging my wizard. Could it be an explosion from a demon dying or something?

Shouldn't be a demon itself. It could possibly be the rylor bombs.

Nobear
01-03-2011, 10:18 PM
The quest "Avenge the death of Mauve's son" says to talk to Mauve in town when the quest is completed. I forget where I picked that quest up, but Mauve is certainly not in town. I looked all over town multiple times to account for her possibly being a wanderer or standing outside; I didn't just look inside houses. There was a barbarian invasion so Mauve may have been wiped out, but in that case the quest should have failed. Either that or Mauve is in the dungeon and the quest text is wrong.

Ghost Matter
01-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Not so much related to 1.012 but I've always had a problem with summoned skeletons. Often they don't take healing items so I waste food and potions on them. It seems random. The icon for food doesn't appear and/or no health is gained. The sounds works fine.

Also, I've seen my Raised Skeleton use a healthstone! WOOOO! But not the archer... :(

dhex
01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
twice now i've had my left click stop working entirely when interacting with items or people in town. works in the options menu, and is fine upon restart.

overall, love the expansion and the madness that ensues!

Nobear
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Has the cosmetic issue of the mana bar occasionally stretching far to the right of where it should end been fixed? I haven't noticed it for a while. If I do, I'll post a screenshot.

Axegrinder
01-04-2011, 02:50 PM
On the missing food shipment quest. I will finish all the major quests in a town except this one. Do it and it pops up again at another level. Keeps repeating itself. Had to abandon a couple of towns because of this.

RoanokeKeeper
01-04-2011, 03:21 PM
On the missing food shipment quest. I will finish all the major quests in a town except this one. Do it and it pops up again at another level. Keeps repeating itself. Had to abandon a couple of towns because of this.
Those quests do repeat themselves a number of times. To complete a town, you have to complete all the required quests. Assuming there's a finite number of them to complete, then you'll have to do them all back to back after you finish the other quests. You should be able to finish the towns if you complete all the missing shipment quests. I usually do them quickly since they cause the price of food and beverages to increase.

Axegrinder
01-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Yes, but doing it 5 times in a row gets old quick after I've killed the dungeon boss and done all the other quests.

dhex
01-04-2011, 04:14 PM
quick addition: killing a named baddie, then having that same named baddie pop up again twenty minutes later.

FloodSpectre
01-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Sometimes townspeople will say "I hear <townsperson> was killed by a ." after someone is killed in a fight with another townie.

I'm also running into the "resetting dungeon" issue. Without even exiting the game, merely between visits to the dungeon, I will find secret passages resealed, magma pools moved, and on one level, a teleporter room became a sanctuary, but still had the verified gates in it as well as the new obelisks.

dhex
01-05-2011, 01:18 AM
i just had the resetting dungeon go nuts. saved last night with one last quest (find missing water) to clear out. all the big baddies were shot, families reunited with stuff, etc etc and so forth.

started up again about an hour ago and the entire dungeon system resets - the gates i activated are all shut down, there's suddenly three new boss monsters and an ice machine, barbarian raid, etc. on the 4th floor in particular each time i came back there was a whole slew of floating doors in the middle of coridors and a corner where there'd be 4 - 8 weapon and armor racks.

SimonDark
01-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Last night whenever I ate Turtle Dove, I would get the audio for eating but no benefits, no food icon, and no cooldown on food. Fresh Fruit always works but Turtle Dove fails every time. Is this intentional?

SimonDark
01-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Also, the first skill available in the Reaver's tree always looks like it activates, as in the explosion of sparkles if you will, always show even when the creature being hit avoided the effects. This is confusing.

Aet
01-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Last night whenever I ate Turtle Dove, I would get the audio for eating but no benefits, no food icon, and no cooldown on food. Fresh Fruit always works but Turtle Dove fails every time. Is this intentional?

Is turtledove above your level? This happens for any food that you can't eat yet.

SimonDark
01-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Is TD above level 10? I don't recall it being red but I sold them since I couldnt eat them so I will have to find out next time I run into one.

Ghost Matter
01-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I found a bug while playing multiplayer yesterday: I can add monster equipment when I have a monster selected and I right-click on a fellow player's name (while not on same level as me). I didn't try adding anything since I didn't have anything on hand but it was pretty weird :eek:

Axegrinder
01-05-2011, 03:39 PM
The re spawn rate seems rather high in some dungeons. I can clear out most of the dungeon, and without leaving go back to the cleared out area and its filled with monsters again.Doesn't happen in all of them. The missing boss/item issue is still there sporadically. Can't find them unless you teleport out and back. Still having fun. Being a hero is hard work.

Sinister Stairs
01-05-2011, 04:42 PM
The Black Raiders quest should be changed to, "You have 30 seconds before you fail this town."

The Black Raiders slay townspeople far too quickly, and heaven forbid you are not next to a Gate when they raid the town, it's an automatic town failure.

Sinister Stairs
01-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Where are teleport stones supposed to appear? Attached screenshot shows that I found a Teleport Stone, but it's nowhere in my inventory. Later I even did a "recharge your teleport stone" quest successfully, still no teleport stone.

Sinister Stairs
01-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Two screenshots of me teleporting into the void. No secret/hidden exits to be found.

DeathKnight1728
01-05-2011, 04:48 PM
What is the black raiders quest? Ive played the expansion a bit but ive never encountered that. Do a group of humans come into the town and start killing or something?

Shadow
01-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Where are teleport stones supposed to appear? Attached screenshot shows that I found a Teleport Stone, but it's nowhere in my inventory. Later I even did a "recharge your teleport stone" quest successfully, still no teleport stone.

You don't get an item. When you turn the quest in the steward? will recharge your teleport stone.

Sinister Stairs
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
They looked like paladins/knights. It could have been a barbarian raid, but they had a name. The first time they appeared I ran for a Gate but they wiped the town in about under 30 seconds. At the next town, I happened to be in town when they appeared, but they still killed everyone except the Warmaster in the time it took for me to hunt them down.

Roswitha
01-05-2011, 06:08 PM
You don't get an item. When you turn the quest in the steward? will recharge your teleport stone.

Just FYI, the teleport stone is the green circle at the bottom left corner of your screen. It turns red once you've used it.

Shadow
01-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Two screenshots of me teleporting into the void. No secret/hidden exits to be found.

This is version 1.012?

Shadow
01-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Never mind I found the collision issue.

Ghost Matter
01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
They looked like paladins/knights. It could have been a barbarian raid, but they had a name. The first time they appeared I ran for a Gate but they wiped the town in about under 30 seconds. At the next town, I happened to be in town when they appeared, but they still killed everyone except the Warmaster in the time it took for me to hunt them down.

I got just got them. "Death & Destruction Barbarians" they were named for me. I killed them easily but they had very high damage so many townspeople died.:mad:

FloodSpectre
01-05-2011, 07:26 PM
You may not want to have enemies spawning inside of prison rooms. This makes for a fun situation when say, two prisoners are trapped in the room with a handful of barrels and a giant sized elite Vortar who lights everything on fire all at once.

Needless to say their funerals were not open casket.

Archon
01-05-2011, 07:36 PM

I played with the hunger modifer for my character and I believe it was the turtledove that had no effect on my hunger level (my character was still starving after eating the turtledove).

icecube
01-05-2011, 07:52 PM

Was this after you used a gate?

I encountered a similar issue back before I installed the last two patches and expansion. Basically, the gate teleporting was off 1 or 2 gates would teleport me into the wall. BUT I found if I used a different gate and loaded the dungeon, and went back and used those gates, they would teleport me into the right spots.

Ghost Matter
01-06-2011, 12:17 AM
My Warmaster went rogue after I did a personal quest for him (if he isn't happy, he could've done it himself!) and I got a new one and solved all my quests but the town is still not saved. I only have two optional quests left. I did manage to finish when there was an uprising of Walkind Dead though. (uprise against undeath? lol)

Hirato
01-06-2011, 02:33 AM
I came across a bug myself; though I'm not sure if it is strictly limited to demon war.

Simply go into the dungeon and clear the level (you should see "level cleared").
Now destroy totems (if any are left) and debris (cave-ins). This will result in additional "level cleared" bonuses for each.

I've also had a townie go renegade on me after avenging a family member. But the game's text implied that getting vengeance on the beast was a ploy to kill the hero, I suspect it is therefor working as intended.

Kruztee
01-06-2011, 03:25 AM
I still don't think that items with a chance for a skill to proc on them are working correctly when equipped.

Now, after a save and exit the procs seem to work fine, but if I just pick up an item in the dungeon and equip it, the proc will not work for me until I save, exit and reload.

In a perhaps related display bug, some weapon's glow effect does not show up correctly when entering the game. By switching weapon sets back and forth, the problem is resolved.

Nobear
01-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Two bugs I have documented with screenshots. First, the Recover body quest says to talk to Trahercy in Demonic Tomb lvl 1, but look at the top middle of the screen and you can see I'm talking to him in town. This is far from the only quest that gives wrong information. I've had quests tell me to kill a boss who I couldn't find even after checking every wall twice for secrets, yet some of these times I've found the boss on a different level. I'm not 100% sure if that's happened since patch 1.012, but these screenshots are definitely taken with 1.012.

The second issue is one I fairly often saw before Demon War, and this 1.012 screenshot shows a similar cosmetic issue. Notice Bomphav's mana bar stretching far to the right of where it should end. (Should he even have a mana bar there? My character doesn't.) In previous times it has been my own mana bar, or sometimes stamina bar, on the upper left side of the screen, which was stretching far to the right.

MacBook4,1 and Mac OS X 10.6.5 here

Sinister Stairs
01-06-2011, 11:55 AM
[Bug report of me being teleported into the void/no exit.]

This is version 1.012?

Yes, it was the 1.012 beta. I ran into teleport traps which placed me into those "void" with nowhere to go / no secret doors.