PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer with expansion and v1.012 - lag

Jorlen
01-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Din's isn't playable for me and my bro in its current form.

We used to play all the time, but now as either of us hosting, with nothing else running in the background, it's impossible to play online. It just seems to lag like crazy, specially when we are near each other in the game.

Anyone else getting this?

DeathKnight1728
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Not only am i getting it, it will sometimes kick me out of the game or freeze to leave me to get one shotted by berserker freak monsters.

m0stly_harmless
01-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Jorlen, confirmed that it's not a graphical lag. I can play just fine on my own...

:mad: I have to play with no eye candy on now with this update!

Nobear
01-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Who knew that my girlfriend's humble old MacBook-that-could would become perhaps the most popular server for a current game title?

Many of the people I've played with, not just DeathKnight, have had an increase since Demon War of issues similar to those mentioned, including frequent disconnects, not being able to find my server, and lag in general. I've noticed my own general game performance take a hit, perhaps bigger than before, when I host games. Since I've been hosting a large portion of the public games lately, let me give my system specs:

MacBook4,1
Mac OS X Version 10.6.5
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel GMA X3100 Integrated graphics at 1280 X 800 (lol)
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB HD (WD5000BEKT)
Cox High Speed Internet (middle option: 15 Mb/sec)
Din's Curse Demon War with 1.012 beta

I have made two notable changes recently, apart from getting Demon War and upgrading to 1.012 beta. First, I upgraded the 160 GB hard drive it came with to the 500GB one (Christmas present to me... er, my girlfriend). Second, I did a clean install of Snow Leopard, and did all the software updates to it. Previously, I had the most up-to-date version of Leopard (10.5.x). Those two changes have given me a tremendous speed increase in many tasks, including start up, loading programs and web browsing, but it's hard to know what effect they have had on Din's Curse, since I upgraded all these things around the same time.

I don't think there's typically heavy internet usage in my house/neighborhood when I host. One or two people in my house are usually doing light email/web surfing. One of them occasionally downloads movies, but honestly my internet is usually quite fast.

I don't know how much difference it makes to have people playing around the world together. I live in southern California and play with people on US East and maybe Europe. It didn't seem to make that much difference when I played WoW, but this game might be different.

Let me know if you have any more questions for me, Shadow.

If anyone I play with has a faster computer and/or faster/less shared internet, let me know and we'll have you try hosting. Also, if anyone has a reasonably fast secondary computer to be a dedicated host, that might keep things snappy when several of us join.

Jorlen
01-02-2011, 11:36 PM
It's as if the game has suddenly become much more bandwidth intensive, by a massive factor. It's insanely noticeable, and in me and my bro's case, unplayable.

Fingers crossed it can be resolved, I love this game!

Kruztee
01-03-2011, 09:57 AM
For what it's worth (and I've posted this before) from the east coast of Australia, Din's Curse is unplayable with anyone outside of the country.

With ping times of about 250ms to the US servers of WoW, the lag is not much more than a minor annoyance, but Din's Curse seems to start off OK in town, but soon become unplayable after descending into the dungeon. It's almost if the lag accumulates until the action freezes completely. I don't have a super fast internet connection, but it's enough to play many online games like World of Warcraft and including shooters like L4D and Killing Floor without issue even when connected to US hosts.

I often host LAN games that my daughter joins and these are fine, but trying to play with anyone not in my close geographical location is a complete waste of time.

Core2Duo 3.2 Ghz
4GB RAM
Nvidia GTX260 896Mb
ADSL 1 Mbps up/7 Mbps down (on average)

Shadow
01-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I'll be looking into the multiplayer issues.

m0stly_harmless
01-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Interestingly enough, my brother and I just finnished playing 2 hours of Din's...

Once you get the game running, in the MULTIPLAYER options, there's a LOW BANDWIDTH tick box. We both turned it on.

Din plays like it used to before the update.

There's definately something up with the network useage in the new patch.

Jorlen
01-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Interestingly enough, my brother and I just finnished playing 2 hours of Din's...

Once you get the game running, in the MULTIPLAYER options, there's a LOW BANDWIDTH tick box. We both turned it on.

Din plays like it used to before the update.

There's definately something up with the network useage in the new patch.

Yup, was night and day. Highly recommend others who are having issues try this option out. Unless this is mere coincidence and Shadow has done something in the past day?

Shadow
01-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I haven't done anything to the multiplayer yet.

m0stly_harmless
01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I thought as much.

Food for thought then, your previous versions worked fine, now for some of us, to get rid of the lag, we need to enable the "low bandwidth" option (which we've never done before).

It might help you figure out where the issue(s) are/is.

Nobear
01-04-2011, 02:17 PM
What does the low bandwidth option actually do differently, Shadow? Does it send updates less frequently, or less detail of info or what?

Ghost Matter
01-04-2011, 02:21 PM
I can't even join games at all, the game just crashes. I never tried before the expansion though.

Shadow
01-04-2011, 03:37 PM
What does the low bandwidth option actually do differently, Shadow? Does it send updates less frequently, or less detail of info or what?

It stops sending entities that are more decorative type things (combat effects and stuff like that).

Nobear
01-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Ok thanks. Though I can imagine decorative things could sometimes be important (eg knowing that your friend is using fire so you should use ice, or he's using ice so you don't have to), I'll give the low bandwidth option a try.

Jorlen
01-04-2011, 06:53 PM
I can't even join games at all, the game just crashes. I never tried before the expansion though.

If you are running mods they don't have, or vice versa, this will happen. Just an idea.

Ghost Matter
01-04-2011, 07:36 PM
If you are running mods they don't have, or vice versa, this will happen. Just an idea.

Yeah... thanks. I was the no abandon penalty mode :mad: