PDA

View Full Version : Too Much

rich12545
01-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Hi, I really like the new patch and expansion pack. The only thing is I'd like to see things toned down. Seems like there's too much going on in a small space of time. Fights, people getting cursed...etc. Maybe cutting these events in half or putting in a slider for them would be nice. Just my $.02

FloodSpectre
01-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Try the "Slow Pace" option when you start a new world, that should make a difference. That said, I do agree that some towns are just moving really quickly with tons of quests at a time since the expansion.

rich12545
01-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Slow option. Interesting. I'll try it.

I started a new game and had just finished maybe 3.5 levels and all of a sudden I was told I failed the town and had to start a new one. That happened very quickly and I'm not sure what the reason was. Maybe it's now harder to save the town which isn't necessarily a bad thing. More of a challenge. I'm a newbie and playing on normal.

Nobear
01-03-2011, 01:22 AM
You fail the town when the Warmaster, Apothecary and Steward are all dead. If you didn't notice, you either missed the really loud and annoying sound of swords clashing and warriors shouting that plays constantly when the town is under attack, which means "get the heck to town NOW!", or someone died from a lingering effect from a previous attack like deadly poison.

Flaksponge
01-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah I would have to agree with the quest movement. I remember feeling like screaming " save your own freaking town " after given a quest for level 6 and making a speed run from level 4 to 6 only to have it completed before I got there. I enjoyed the demo on normal pace I would just do the main monster kill mission and then enjoy doing a few find this. Then do the hokey pokey here missions. I finally purchased the game out of my enjoyment of the demo and got the expansion while I was at it. I felt good about supporting an indie company then I tried mutiple times to enjoy the Omg speed run or die normal mode and i was so frustrated i was about to return the game and empty it off my hard drive. But upon seeing the developer has already started working hard on this game I'll hold back. No one is perfect but the fact they've addressed issues within 2 days of the problem tells me this is a game I want to hang onto and support.

rich12545
01-03-2011, 11:55 AM
You fail the town when the Warmaster, Apothecary and Steward are all dead. If you didn't notice, you either missed the really loud and annoying sound of swords clashing and warriors shouting that plays constantly when the town is under attack, which means "get the heck to town NOW!", or someone died from a lingering effect from a previous attack like deadly poison.

I was in the town at the time I got the town lost message but didn't hear anything. Was unloading my loot. I know all the warmasters, apothecary and steward weren't all dead. When it happened I saw the town under attack flashing but didn't notice it when dealing with the vendor. The town was cursed but I didn't know how to get the curse removed and don't know if that affected losing the town. I think a manual or faq of all the details is needed. Anyhow, the town is dead, long live the next town.

Shadow
01-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Is the 1.012 patch helping with the things moving too fast issue?

rich12545
01-03-2011, 12:19 PM
I haven't played for hours but ad hoc it seems about the same. I'll be playing more later today and will pay attention. For me though it seems more like too much rather than too fast or maybe that's the same.

Ghost Matter
01-03-2011, 12:20 PM
It's still in beta so Shadow can take into account your comments. It's much better for me since 1.012 although I had my portal blocked and had to trek back from level 11 to town while it was being attacked:eek:. Good thing the assassins were weak.

Shadow
01-03-2011, 01:03 PM
To get the full effect of 1.012 you will need to be in a new town though.

It's much better for me since 1.012 although I had my portal blocked and had to trek back from level 11 to town while it was being attacked:eek:. Good thing the assassins were weak.

I think I'm going to make this part a little easier soon.

FloodSpectre
01-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Is the 1.012 patch helping with the things moving too fast issue?

I noticed a difference, definitely. Started a new town shortly after the latest patch and it's slowed down almost perfectly back to how most of my pre-Demon War towns were.

Nobear
01-03-2011, 06:11 PM
When it happened I saw the town under attack flashing but didn't notice it when dealing with the vendor. The town was cursed but I didn't know how to get the curse removed and don't know if that affected losing the town.

I recommend putting the game on Pause (P key by default) when dealing with a vendor, picking up quests if the list is long, or dealing with your Stashes. That will let you focus on these tasks without worrying that your town will go to pot in the meantime. In Multiplayer you can't pause, but you also have more people to help out in emergencies.

As for the curse, there will always be a quest from the Apothecary to cure the curse. The curse doesn't kill people though, it only lowers their stats (and you can catch it too). Some assassins will infect townspeople with Deadly Poison though, which can kill them after the assassin has died.

To everybody: really, try the Slow or Very Slow options before giving up. That's how to turn down the craziness, and it's already built in.

To Shadow: I personally think the pace is great now. When I was playing with 2 other people online, we were even doing Very Fast Pace at level 60+, and it was really fun and crazy but doable. I wouldn't want the very fastest option any slower, and normal is perfect for me when I'm solo.

rich12545
01-03-2011, 10:31 PM
I just played for a bit. First thing I noticed I needed to input the xpack and game serial numbers again to play. Then I went to my new town. Just one each of the main characters instead of two or three. Not lots of people walking around. Seems like it was before. Didn't play for a long time so don't know how often there are fights and/or quests from the townspeople but the game definitely seems better. Imo a happy medium between the original and before this last patch would work very well.

Pausing when dealing with vendors looks like a very good idea.

EternalChampion
01-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Too much? This is the capture of the end(less) town. 77 quests solved, 20 failed, 3 obsoleted, 3 NPCs died. 100 quests total. A good deal of them were missing shipments of food and water. Also, the town was full of traitors poisoning the water and food, trapping the town, building forbidden gates etc. Every time I'd get the components to make the food/water good again, someone would poison it right away. I'd find the evidence for the Steward only to see him slap some silly fine of 20 CP on the traitor. :mad: Eventually a traitor would go rogue and I'd have to kill him/her down in the dungeon. I seriously thought it would never end.

The other JPG is from the first step into level 2 of the dungeon. 30+ Torvas and some Ragnars tossed in (trust me, the hallways were full past the minimap)! Luckily most were turned the other way. They turned-out to be no problem for my Reaver/Thief. :D

Nobear
01-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Also, the town was full of traitors poisoning the water and food, trapping the town, building forbidden gates etc. I'd find the evidence for the Steward only to see him slap some silly fine of 20 CP on the traitor.

And at such low level?? Honestly, I've saved a ton of towns since Demon War by now, and still have never seen any of the things I quoted, even once. I've also not once seen a fight break out whatsoever, or had a townsperson let in a scout, or be banished from town. My towns are always drama free and everyone is a goody two-shoes, whether I put it on Normal, Fast or Very Fast. I'm actually a bit jealous because I'd like to experience this hectic action and these quests, even once. Level 50+s, what kinds of towns are you getting? What's going on here?

icecube
01-03-2011, 11:32 PM
And at such low level?? Honestly, I've saved a ton of towns since Demon War by now, and still have never seen any of the things I quoted, even once. I've also not once seen a fight break out whatsoever, or had a townsperson let in a scout, or be banished from town. My towns are always drama free and everyone is a goody two-shoes, whether I put it on Normal, Fast or Very Fast. I'm actually a bit jealous because I'd like to see these quests. Level 50+s, what kinds of towns are you getting? What's going on here?

I think I've noticed the same thing. On my level 50+ that parties with you, I don't think I've had a town with those type of townspersons. But, on my other characters all below 40, they've had those type of towns.

Nobear
01-03-2011, 11:34 PM
hmm, so maybe the quest and action progression is reversed on accident? I read that Demon War was supposed to have new quests geared towards high level players. Which quests were meant to be geared towards high level?

icecube
01-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Ah crap... actually I don't think my post means anything. I forgot that, since the patch, the only games I've played on my 50+ have been with you in those multiplayer games. My offline time was spent on those other low level characters.

Sinister Stairs
01-04-2011, 10:30 AM
I recommend putting the game on Pause (P key by default) when dealing with a vendor, picking up quests if the list is long, or dealing with your Stashes.

If you mosey over to the Modding forum, I've got an auto-pause mod that does just that. Caveat: To allow identifying your items (manually), the Inventory screen doesn't pause.

Valdus
01-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I confess, my 25th level hunter/trickster (FUN CLASS) is having a bit of trouble with the demons, particularly massive gang-ups when he is discovered sneaking. I tried to make it on an easier level but the xp is meager at best.

rich12545
01-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I've been playing some more today, I've always played on normal. It seems the pendulum has swung the other way and there's not enough going on so it looks like it could use a bit more tweaking.

FloodSpectre
01-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I confess, my 25th level hunter/trickster (FUN CLASS) is having a bit of trouble with the demons, particularly massive gang-ups when he is discovered sneaking. I tried to make it on an easier level but the xp is meager at best.

I'm pretty sure the Trickster gets Smokescreen, and if so, invest a point there. When you get swarmed use it immediately and you can easily escape (or carve a path out through your foes if necessary).

rich12545
01-17-2011, 09:37 PM
As for the curse, there will always be a quest from the Apothecary to cure the curse. The curse doesn't kill people though, it only lowers their stats (and you can catch it too). Some assassins will infect townspeople with Deadly Poison though, which can kill them after the assassin has died.

Not sure how this would work. I went to the apothecary and she didn't have any quests to cure the curse.

pnakotus
01-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Since the game is meant to be played over many towns (and some towns only last an hour or two) I don't mind that the pace varies so much. I actually think some new options are needed to help the game scale up to 5+ players, and playing on normal pace seems tediously slow to me.

Shadow
01-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Not sure how this would work. I went to the apothecary and she didn't have any quests to cure the curse.

There are different curses. There is a cursing altar which is a quest from the warmaster. There's an individual has been cursed which is a apothecary curse. There is also a Cursed world modifier that can't be solved.

rich12545
01-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Ok, I looked around and found Din had a quest for it so I got the town uncursed. Now it's the plague so I'll be looking around for that lol.

pnakotus
01-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Do multiple curses/plagues have any cumulative effect? I've had multiples of both, but people don't seem to die any faster. I didn't check the curse tooltip to see if the penalties were larger.

Being both cursed and having the plague created real tension with the group, since everyone was down about 40% on stats. Great stuff.

Shadow
01-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Do multiple curses/plagues have any cumulative effect? I've had multiples of both, but people don't seem to die any faster. I didn't check the curse tooltip to see if the penalties were larger.

The only way the would stack is if you saw multiple icons.