PDA

View Full Version : Games run so slow

ubur2
12-10-2007, 03:57 AM
I install the game, but it run so slow. I try to minimize the graphic quality but still run slow. My computer spec: PIV2.4GHZ, 256RAM, Geforce MX 4 64MB, Windows XP SP2

I also try to another computer, it run smoothly at first, but getting slow and slow, then crash. Spec: PIV 3GHz, 256RAM, Ati Radeon Mobility 9700 128MB, Windows XP SP2

Shadow
12-10-2007, 11:25 AM
If you haven't tried it already, I would try turning off the shadows and better lighting. You can also play with the minimap off and zoomed in a little more to speed up the game.

ubur2
12-11-2007, 02:52 AM
If you haven't tried it already, I would try turning off the shadows and better lighting. You can also play with the minimap off and zoomed in a little more to speed up the game.

I have tried that already, but the problem still the same. (when the "X" symbol exsist means that capability enable right?

Shadow
12-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Yes, the X means it's on. There might not be much more you can do. You still have compressed textures on, right? Compressed textures is actually faster.

MacGuges
01-16-2008, 03:13 AM
I wonder if the earlier poster had been playing the demo version. I just got the demo to work and began playing tonight. The demo runs painfully slow on my machine, which seems odd looking at your recommended specs. (Check my specs at http://pastebin.com/m7b42f863.) I've reduced my graphical options as much as I can; 800x600, no shadows, no monitor sync, no filtering, both compressed and uncompressed textures, 56k frequency, no anisotropic filtering, very low ground detail, no anti-aliasing, no better lighting, no bloom, no detail models, and I even repackaged the assets001.zip to 'store' only, no compression.

Still, I played for about an hour, completing the first few tutorial quests, but it wasn't much fun. The sound still stuttered, my character would move only in long jumps, and there was always a delay between my mouse clicks and the game's response.

It looks like you could have an interesting game here, and I like to help independent game developers whenever I can. However, I want to play a demo before I spend my money and be sure I will enjoy the game. Please let me know if there's something I could do to make this demo run properly.

ShaggyMoose
01-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Unfortunately, the GeForce MX line has always been incredibly useless and is now little more than a paperweight. However, the second machine you listed should run the game fantastically. The only thing I can think of is that you need more RAM. If you are getting a lot of HDD access while you playing, it is almost guaranteed that more RAM will increase performance. I haven't had 256MB in a machine since 2002.;)

ShaggyMoose
01-16-2008, 08:12 AM
MacGuges, I would think a Radeon 9600 would work okay with this game, but you would have to confirm with Steven. Its getting a little long in the tooth and was never the fastest card to begin with. Can't be too much slower than a 9700 mobility though. Other than that, I really can't guess what the problem is.

Just for reference, I am running on a Core Duo 1.8GHz with a 128MB Nvidia 7300 Go with 1024MB RAM. By no means a great machine, yet the game runs at a steady rate at 1280x960 with all details high except AA is disabled. With AA on the framerate is unacceptable, but that is quite normal given my setup.

(name here)
01-16-2008, 08:31 AM
gee, i'm glad that i've been able to upgrade my computer every 5ish years thanks to other people paying for it. current specs: 1028 MB of ram, 2.4 gigahertz cpu, nividia geforce 7300. i'm guessing the second one either has compatibility problems or is experiencing a memory leak.

StealthBunny
01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
My computer is pretty darned slow, too. My way of compensating is to just save, exit, and shut the game down when I notice it running too slow, and start it back up again. Takes about ten seconds and then I'm running great again.

Shadow
01-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Off hand it looks like your graphics drivers are pretty old. I would update to the latest drivers and see if that helps.

StealthBunny
01-16-2008, 09:49 AM
...Um.... I'm not even sure I know how to do that.....

SamMcMackin
01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Do you know what graphics card you have? Nvidia or ATI? Best way to check is right click on an empty space on your desktop, hit properties, then hit the settings tab. Tell us what it says on the "Display:" drop down menu.

StealthBunny
01-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Do you know what graphics card you have? Nvidia or ATI? Best way to check is right click on an empty space on your desktop, hit properties, then hit the settings tab. Tell us what it says on the "Display:" drop down menu.

Umm.. Plug and Play MOnitor on Radeon X300 Series...?

Shadow
01-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Sorry, my drivers comment was actually for MacGuges since the specs from his link look pretty good, but the drivers are a few years old.

StealthBunny, upgrading your drivers might help also, but I would try turning off some of the settings first. Radeon is an ATI graphics card btw.

MacGuges
01-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Sorry to keep you waiting, and thanks for the quick response! Updating the drivers did the trick. Gee, do I feel like a goof. It plays now like a walk in the park, compared to a walk in the park during a tornado and zombie infestation.

Am I glad I thought to include that dxdiag.txt. Thanks again!

Shadow
01-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Great, glad the new drivers did the trick.

Katalys
06-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi
I have the same problem, the game runs at 1 FPS, so of course playing is extremely painful, although I have 2Gb ram, a radeon mobility X1700 and an Intel duo T5600. I'm on vista 32bits and I am playing with de demo, and... my drivers are up to date.
I have got the same problem when playing another game, weird world, since I switched to Vista.
Any idea ?

(name here)
06-24-2008, 06:50 PM
It's your operating system. try turning down vista's settings.

Katalys
06-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Well, I run it in windows xp sp2 compatibility mode with visual themes and desktop composition (?) off, but it doesn't work anyway... what do you mean by "turning downn vista's settings ?

(name here)
06-25-2008, 08:17 AM
one of the vista features, named aero or somthing similar, has been confirmed to cause problems with DoP on at least one computer. disabling vista's extra features might free up enough proccessing power.

Katalys
06-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Well, I've tried to disable every visual enhancements of vista through the system screen in the configuration panel, but it has changed nothing... I did not click on a button "disable aero" though, I've just switched off every part of it, maybe that's not the way to do it.
Anyway, I don't think it is a matter of processing power, I can play some other games that need a lot more of it than depths of peril, so I guess it must be something else.
Thanks for helping me...

Delve
06-25-2008, 10:36 AM
I'll reference you to this thread. (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763&highlight=aero)

Katalys
06-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Thank you, but I tried to disable aero and it didn't work... But once again, maybe it is just because I don't know how to really disable aero.

Delve
06-25-2008, 03:27 PM
I did not click on a button "disable aero" though, I've just switched off every part of it...

Maybe you should try clicking it. Microsoft software has a nasty habit of not actually doing exactly what the screen says it's doing. The algorithms for all the individual options that you've disabled could still be running in the background and simply not rendered to the screen.

Katalys
06-26-2008, 08:36 AM
The whole point is that... I don't know where it is, or even if it exists

Delve
06-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I'm rather useless here I guess, I don't know anything specific about Aero or Vista other than to avoid it like plague.

Shadow
06-26-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't have direct access to a Vista machine right now, so I haven't commented yet, but here's something that one of our artists suggested:

1. Right Click on "My Computer"
2. go to "Properties"
3. Click on the "Advanced" tab
4. Under performance go to "Settings"
5. Now click on "Adjust for best performance"
6. Or you can choose what you would like to turn off

I hope this helps. Does anyone else know how to turn Aero off?

Draal
06-26-2008, 12:32 PM
1. Right-Click on a blank area of desktop
2. Select Personalize from the context menu
3. Click Window Color and Appearance Option
4. Click the Open classic appearance properties for more color options link.
5. Select a non-Aero theme and click OK.

You can also disable it on a app by app basis...
1. Right click the shortcut to the app you want it disabled for.
2. Select Properties.
3. Change to the Compatibility tab.
4. Check the box for "Disable desktop composition"

Katalys
06-26-2008, 03:03 PM
I just tried all of this, and it still doesn't work... I've got the feeling that I'll never manage to play this game
@Delve : It's true you didn't solve my problem, but it's kind of you to try to help me.

Katalys
07-04-2008, 02:03 PM
No more ideas ? Too bad...

Shadow
07-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Unfortunately, not really. The only things that I can think of that make sense are to update your drivers, turn off Aero things, and try whatever compatible options you have, but it seems that you have tried all of those.

Well you could try to turn off options in the game also, especially if you turned on anything extra.