PDA

View Full Version : Sound Advice

torikamal
01-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Post your audio feedback here.
Sorry for the terrible puns.

Let me know what your audio gripes are and if there's enough time/won't be too impacting on the game, I'll do my best to fix them. (I'll always check with Shadow first!) Feedback is really helpful and I want y'all to enjoy the game as much as possible. Of course it's not possible to please everybody, but if a bunch of people aren't diggin a sound, it's time for a change!

Stuff Modified From Feedback (may not be in the latest patch yet) And also thanks to Nobear for collecting some of the comments!:

1) Spirit Strike (Jakobrogert)
I made the sound less synthy and it should sound kind of like distorted/burning wind now. Plus it is now more subtle.
2) Impale (torikamal)
I felt it was too long and there was a tail end that I used to like, but after repeated use I found it to be annoying, so I shortened it up bit and made it a little more subtle.
3) Ravage (Baki)
Ravage has been Ravaged! Much subtler. Want to give the impression that demonic energy is being summoned to assist with the strike.
4) Player Text Message (Magitek, Nobear)
Should be pretty subtle, but will greatly distinguished from other notices. Now made message sound louder.

Nobear
01-04-2011, 09:14 PM
It's so funny and ironic that my thread entitled "Sound Suggestions (Tori Kamal?)" just barely got pushed to page 2 when you made this one! I'll quote the only two posts on that thread, and then it can be deleted.

I'd like to start off by saying that I really love what you've done with some of the new ambiances in the Demon War dungeons. I like the occasional demonic voice, the constant sound of scampering insects or rattling bones, and the Middle Eastern type music of various new dungeons.

Now here are some things that I think should be improved:

1) The same sound plays for a text chat line being sent, as for a status update from the game world, as for a player logging on, and I'm not sure if I'm forgetting something else. The sound works well for a text chat line being sent, and I'd suggest keeping it for only this. Make a separate sound for each of the other things it's currently used for. When I'm playing Multiplayer, I currently find myself constantly closing out of things I'm doing (like vendoring items) just to see whether it's my buddy or whether it's a system message I can wait for.

Shadow, you can help this further by color coding player chat lines differently than the updates from the game world. Magenta, green or blue would all be good options familiar to WoW players :P.

2) Who else thinks Din sounds like Vera de Milo? Look her (him?) up on YouTube if you don't know who this is. Although, I'd classify this as funny and personally don't want it to change, just thought I'd point it out :P.

I was just thinking today that the Undead Trumpet sound could stand to be improved, and here's a thread about sound suggestions. Convenient ;)

torikamal
01-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Oh, fooey, sorry about that. I should do a better job of looking around. Thanks for being a good sport, though, and also for pasting the lines in!

Nobear
01-04-2011, 09:33 PM
No problem. Here's another very specific thread, with 6 replies so I will only quote the original post:

at first i didnt notice it but ravage has a deep background sound which is very annoying. Its like the deep sound of a horn everytime ravage is used (not the sound of the 3 slices)

Click the icon next to Baki's name to be sent to the full post.

dhex
01-04-2011, 09:54 PM
the volume jump when you break three or four barrels compared to one or two is really jarring.

FloodSpectre
01-04-2011, 10:14 PM
To elaborate more on the Undead Trumpet sound, I was thinking it would sound better and more appropriate if it were more of a war horn sound, the sort made by bone(?) horns. Think Boromir's horn in the Lord of the Rings movies.

torikamal
01-04-2011, 10:20 PM
What is the name of the creature the plays the the horn call? Are you talking about the

morale_call.wav

in the assets from Vanilla Din's Curse?

torikamal
01-04-2011, 10:22 PM
the volume jump when you break three or four barrels compared to one or two is really jarring.

That one is more code based, so I'll have to defer that one. Plus, nobody wants a sound guy rummaging around in code--I'd probably wreck the game.

FloodSpectre
01-04-2011, 10:37 PM
What is the name of the creature the plays the the horn call? Are you talking about the

morale_call.wav

in the assets from Vanilla Din's Curse?

Ok, I dug around the asset files and that seems to be it, but I swear it sounds higher pitched in-game than just loading that wav up in winamp.

In any case, what I was specifically thinking would sound better was just a single, somewhat deep, two or three second blast on a war horn. There's just something about the current sound that I'm not too big on, the pitch being a large part of it.

I was also thinking it'd be cool to hear the Lich occasionally mutter "riiiiise" as he raises the dead. It'd probably be up to Shadow to figure out the frequency of it playing, but I think it'd be a cool touch.

EternalChampion
01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
FWIW, being a composer/songwriter/musician for a living, I think you guys have done an awesome job with the audio of this game. I'm really digging the ambient sounds (esp. when I've got a "haunted" modifier ;)). I think the music and sound design is bad*ss).

torikamal
01-05-2011, 01:16 AM
I really appreciate it, man! I feel pretty lucky that Shadow gave me the chance to work on these great games, and I'm learning a ton (and hopefully improving) every time.

I also have to tip my hat to the previous audio makers who left me a great base to build on!

FWIW, being a composer/songwriter/musician for a living, I think you guys have done an awesome job with the audio of this game. I'm really digging the ambient sounds (esp. when I've got a "haunted" modifier ;)). I think the music and sound design is bad*ss).

torikamal
01-05-2011, 01:31 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone

I actually struggled a ton with this sound effect. I picked the current interval (which is a tritone), because at one point in history, it was known as the "the Devil's interval" for it's dissonance, which seemed kind of fitting.

I definitely did check out Boromir's Call when I was first racking my brains for it, though. First thing that came to mind actually :) I am slowly saving up for a high end sound sample library, which most likely will include something that sounds closer to the classic bone horn. However, I'm also getting a pretty slick portable recorder in the nearer future and I might just end up raiding some instrument stores, blasting away on some horns and seeing what I can come up with.

However, in the meantime, I'm almost done re-ravaging ravage.

Ok, I dug around the asset files and that seems to be it, but I swear it sounds higher pitched in-game than just loading that wav up in winamp.

In any case, what I was specifically thinking would sound better was just a single, somewhat deep, two or three second blast on a war horn. There's just something about the current sound that I'm not too big on, the pitch being a large part of it.

I was also thinking it'd be cool to hear the Lich occasionally mutter "riiiiise" as he raises the dead. It'd probably be up to Shadow to figure out the frequency of it playing, but I think it'd be a cool touch.

torikamal
01-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Ravage has been Ravaged! Much subtler. Want to give the impression that demonic energy is being summoned to assist with the strike.

Nobear
01-08-2011, 02:50 AM
Here's someone else who agrees with my first request:

Improvements I'd like to see:
Individual message sound for each priority of message, its very irritating not being able to tell between chat message sound and critical quest information or plain unimportant messages.

Along with color-coding chat text differently, which you can pass on to Shadow, this is the #1 thing that would improve my game experience sound-wise.

Another thing I'd consider far less important, but worth mentioning, is that currently the same sound plays whether an attack successfully hits, is parried, etc., or completely misses. Charged Strike is one example I notice of this, but someone else mentioned it being the case with another attack too.

Nobear
01-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Another thing: make a healing spell sound distinct from the potion use sound.

torikamal
01-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Just a quick update, it looks like we will be going forward with a sound to differentiate different text versus event sounds.

I'm fiddling with a few things, just want to make sure the sound won't get annoying over repeated uses and will be subtle enough to not distract from the game (but evident enough that it calls your attention)

torikamal
01-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Player Text Message Sound added. Will most likely be in the next patch. Should be pretty subtle, but will greatly distinguish it from other notices.

Nobear
01-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Awesome, can't wait to hear what it sounds like!

Magitek
01-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Player Text Message Sound added. Will most likely be in the next patch. Should be pretty subtle, but will greatly distinguish it from other notices.
Epic, this should be very useful for coop.

Nobear
01-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I was playing with someone else and didn't hear any sound for chat lines being sent. Testing by myself while paused, I can now hear the sound. First you could try just making it louder. But while it's a sound that accurately represents its purpose, that may not be what we want in a game where that sound gets lost among other similar sounds (traps and so on). It may be better to make a distinct sound like the one iChat, Gmail or Microsoft Messenger use, whose frequencies and characteristics set it apart even at low volume levels.

torikamal
01-14-2011, 12:26 AM
I'll look into it.

There's two options here: I can't really make the sound any louder or it will distort, however, I can compress/limit it so that there is a smaller dynamic range (basically it will sound louder).

I can also easily come up with a little chat sound, but the danger with that is that if you are chatting often, you might start pulling your hair out after hearing it for the 150th time in a row.

So in this case, treading the line between being subtle and obvious could be a tricky one. I'll try compressing/limiting first and see what you guys think.

Edit: It's in, so it should be out with the next patch. It should now sound louder. If this doesn't work, I'll just make a traditional chat sound. BTW, I do use Google Chat for IM, but I always find myself turning down the volume because that sound drives me nuts and then I just miss out on a lot of texts--maybe that's why I'm leery of a traditional sound, but in the end, this game is for you guys, so I shall listen to the people! The current sound, while definitely more audible, may still get buried in a few instances, but on the whole should be easier to hear.