PDA

View Full Version : Demon War BETA + 1.013 bugs

Nobear
01-06-2011, 04:58 PM
This is a placeholder thread. For now, it serves to announce 1.013, since I hardly check the vanilla Din's Curse forums any more, and figure others might be the same way.

Ghost Matter
01-06-2011, 08:30 PM
First! :P Nothing to be happy about...

I was doing level 1 on my new hardcore character and I found this neutral Scree who asked me to attack the bad skellies.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1189/ss0066.th.png (http://img440.imageshack.us/i/ss0066.png/)

I had already done so I told him and had a truce with...

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/4992/ss0067.th.png (http://img543.imageshack.us/i/ss0067.png/)

FactionNameDemonss!?

Nice quest idea! I LOVE it! Another problem is that I don't remember seeing screes at low levels... The monsters should be appropriate to the level.

Nobear
01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
FactionNameDemonss, that is classic! It kind of pains me to see funny things get taken out just because they are bugs. :D

Nobear
01-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I am still having to abandon towns because I can't find a boss on a level, and I have a feeling it's not that he's hidden behind a secret. In this case, I checked every possible wall on two separate trips. I kept my eye out for what a secret wall looks like in this level, and on all walls which were open and didn't have another wall right behind them, I also clicked repeatedly to see if it could be a secret.

I have a feeling it is either a case of the boss being on a different level than the quest says, or the boss not existing at all, or being in some room which is impossible to get to, etc.

UPDATE: I restarted the entire game application, and the boss was there. Still an issue to be fixed: making sure everything's there without having to restart.

Bomphav
01-06-2011, 11:46 PM
I was having trouble finding sorties like the fog machines in version 1.012, that problem may have carried over. I came to the same result; after restarting a couple times, they would show up.

While playing version 1.013 tonight, I have noticed a few things:
1. I completed the "Find 5 Slate Chunks" quest for the armorsmith, and was promised a random weapon. Upon completion, no weapon was dropped (nor was the sound "weapon dropped" played). I did still receive the listed exp and gold for the quest.

2. After having defeated the anti-magic machine, AM fields were still popping up and blocking the use of magic. There were no further "destroy the AM" quests at this time. In version 1.012 AM fields would pop up after the AM was destroyed, but magic was still allowed whilst in the bounds of the field.

3. Maybe I just got lucky when I finished the previous world, but the summary page all fit onto the screen, rather than having to scroll down to find out how many NPCs died. I like that, and along those lines, the formatting on the skills interface could be changed slightly. Some hybrid builds go past the border of the skills graphic. (I can attach a screen shot of this). I would put (Din's Legend), etc on a second line below the character class, or put it next to the character name (again, bumping down a line for a long name)

Hirato
01-07-2011, 01:32 AM
an exploit I found still exists too.

Simply clear a level in the dungeon (for a substantial EXP bonus), and then proceed to clear the cave ins to get the aforementioned bonus repeatedly.
If the player has the ability to produce additional cave ins (ala Fire Maelstrom), this really turns into a very nice free EXP 'sploit.

Nobear
01-07-2011, 04:59 AM
I was glad to see that the Infestation quest was reduced to 5 bugs, but then another town had me kill 12. Don't know if this is within your new range.

Maybe it would help for you to list ranges like this, or dungeon sizes for a given world setting, so we can know what to look for and make sure it works as intended.

Loot update: level 88 now, still nothing new. What dungeon level ranges are the 85 and 95 uniques supposed to drop in? I am wondering whether it might be a bug preventing the new loot from dropping at all. Maybe for your own testing, you can ramp up the chance of the new loot to some ridiculously high chance, see if any drops, and bring the chance back down when you pinpoint the issue. If there is one, that is. Still keeping my eye out.

Shadow
01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I was glad to see that the Infestation quest was reduced to 5 bugs, but then another town had me kill 12. Don't know if this is within your new range.

Loot update: level 88 now, still nothing new. What dungeon level ranges are the 85 and 95 uniques supposed to drop in?

5 - 12 is the new range for infestations.

I'm not sure the actual range (it's complicated) but you should have a chance to see the new items at level 88. I'm going to look into this issue (hopefully today).

Nobear
01-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Are any of the new items named Imbued this or that? Because I've come across a few of those and didn't think anything of them. I thought I was supposed to be looking for uniques, but higher level randoms are cool too!

Shadow
01-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Are any of the new items named Imbued this or that? Because I've come across a few of those and didn't think anything of them. I thought I was supposed to be looking for uniques, but higher level randoms are cool too!

That should be one of the newer ones.

Nobear
01-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Ok, I will start looking at every item more closely. There's probably no bug at all, just a misunderstanding. Good to know, thanks.

Nobear
01-07-2011, 06:32 PM
In a recent Multiplayer game, when nobody else was playing, Blaze was named as a player when I brought up the map. Blaze, however, was not shown on the right side of the screen, and as I say nobody anyone else was playing with me at the time.

Nobear
01-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Here's a case where I had completed every quest the town members would give me, and I'd checked every dungeon level for a quest-spawning item, and the town wouldn't complete.

I even went back to that town the next day, after I'd restarted the game, and went around uncovering the little fog of war that was left. Multiple new bosses came up which I dispatched, and upon turning those in the town still wasn't saved. The town's name was Adanhof in case that helps.

Shadow
01-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Usually that means there is a temporary hidden quest somewhere.

Nobear
01-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Give me an example of a temporary hidden quest. Happened again in Deria with Zealous Catacomb, just after I'd worked off my XP penalty.

Update: OMG, as soon as I tabbed back to my game and unpaused, the town was saved this time. No status messages to give me a clue as to why.

Amberjoy
01-08-2011, 12:36 AM
I was running around 2nd level and came to an abrupt halt when I tried to get to a push button trap thingy on the floor. Corridor 2 spaces wide, could not pass for the life of me and nothing there but the button. Saved and reloaded and after a second or two an undead (zombie?) came up out of the ground. after I killed it I could pass by. Very Odd.
Pic below.

icecube
01-08-2011, 01:00 AM
In a recent Multiplayer game, when nobody else was playing, Blaze was named as a player when I brought up the map. Blaze, however, was not shown on the right side of the screen, and as I say nobody anyone else was playing with me at the time.

Blaze might have been trying to join.
I had that happen to me in a game. It was TarPala.. (I don't remember his exact name). Saw his name on the map and asked Bomphav about it. Then a minute later, he entered the game.

Nobear
01-08-2011, 01:02 AM
Blaze if you're out there say so. Then we'll know if it's a very strange bug or just multiplayer disconnect issues.

Hey Amberjoy, what format do you use for your pics? They are so much higher quality than my jpegs I upload.

Magitek
01-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Issues noted:

spelling: quest - Lost family heirloom "in the dungeon, pleace bring it back to me."
spelling: skill: Breech - should be Breach?
bug: Toughblood demon boss had crazy vertical selection box, the model itself wasn't giant. Selection size entire screen vertically, made it rather difficult to move.
bug: Lightning ward model seems incomplete and model+name set incorrectly.
bug: Tick time of wards and circles too low, dropping off players a lot.
bug: Reloading the game while demonic control is in use causes monster to stay with you, friendly, but not under control.

Improvements I'd like to see:
Individual message sound for each priority of message, its very irritating not being able to tell between chat message sound and critical quest information or plain unimportant messages.
Overhead NPC messages/happiness changes made a bit slower, so as to be more readable.
Weapon reach should be more prominent on slower/larger weapons; they're downright painful to use due to speed. Getting this extra reach on melee skills would be great too.
Gathering oil with a vial could provide an additional small dot effect and/or resist reduction instead of high pure fire damage. Love to see more things like this; collectable consumables in this fashion are pretty neat, almost survivalist-like.

NPCs:
Improving relations should have benefit, such as providing better prices, buffs after talking with the character, perhaps able to come with you as a temporary companion. (being in the dungeon should reduce happiness unless you keep donating to them etc, until they leave.)
Mining quests might provide +0.5% armor for the town or something to this effect, cheaper weapon/armor prices maybe?

Invasion mode
Could use specific maps with slightly less buildings, fighting in the towns is generally confusing, frustrating and lacks direction. Perhaps a flag/sound on the map could tell players where the enemy was appearing from. (I know about the NPCs looking at the enemy, but it doesn't feel very epic.)
Mutated waves: flaming, giant, fast, fire resistant, etc
Wave timer needs to be more dynamic. Either players able to vote for the next wave (similar to how the game ends) or the waves should be batched together.. the earlier ones anyway, I haven't progressed because the initial waves were simply too slow.
The town could use atleast four real guards with some small abilities if larger starting waves are used.
Number of waves should perhaps be based on depth or difficulty of dungeon, maybe even number of players currently in the game.
Quests during this mode should only be of town-related nature; town improvement/food/recruitment/stopping a mutant wave etc or it could get really confusing doing both.
Bonuses for completing waves in certain fashion: no damage taken/no casualty bonus/no potions used; these bonuses could be magic find or stat boosting for the town/item chests. Think mini-achievements, but can be scored on every invasion game.

I still need to play the game a lot more to get a feel for things at higher levels but so far the expansion is pretty epic.

Aet
01-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Not sure if this has been a long-time bug or just introduced by 1.013, but I have a (thankfully optional) quest that cannot be finished because the NPC already died, yet has not registered as failed either. I accepted the quest. The NPC later died, failing one of the quests I had with him - but not this one.

Amberjoy
01-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Blaze if you're out there say so. Then we'll know if it's a very strange bug or just multiplayer disconnect issues.

Hey Amberjoy, what format do you use for your pics? They are so much higher quality than my jpegs I upload.

I use the "screen capture buttons for my Mac, not any 'in game feature'. Ie , Alt key, shift key and #3 key at the same time. Then I use "GraphicConverter" for the Mac to cut it down to size, save and upload here.

Nobear
01-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Ok I use Mac too. What format are your screenshots saved in? Mine are PNG (Portable Network Graphics). You can find out by pressing command-I on the file in Finder. I forget where to change the format which Mac OS uses to save screenshots.

And what format and file size do you end up with after Graphic Converter?

Ghost Matter
01-08-2011, 07:05 PM
You can set the screenshots to be saved in PNG inside the game.

Caal
01-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Quest screen with internal game name displayed.

Amberjoy
01-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Ok I use Mac too. What format are your screenshots saved in? Mine are PNG (Portable Network Graphics). You can find out by pressing command-I on the file in Finder. I forget where to change the format which Mac OS uses to save screenshots.

And what format and file size do you end up with after Graphic Converter?

I think its set for png. But when I'm in GraphicConverter I change it to jpg if I'm uploading for here or other forums. I can change the size and cut out only the important parts of the picture to make it smaller or I can go to 'change size' area and make it larger or smaller, go to "Effects" to sharpen the edges/pixels, etc. Then I save it to jpg or whatever for uploading. I love that program. Easy to use. I also use it for my online game at Rpol for maps for my players after using Dundjinni art program for the mapping part to make the big map and then cut it down to size for battles, etc.

FloodSpectre
01-08-2011, 07:45 PM
One Elite enemy sent a zombie to attack the town, and I'm pretty sure he came out of a gate. A different Elite enemy sent a skeleton scout after the town almost immediately. When I arrived in town to fight them, the skeleton was destroying the gate and killing the zombies, which is odd considering they should all be allied by virtue of being undead. Then the zombie that the skeleton killed rose from the dead as an Undead Zombie with the undead skin.

Ghost Matter
01-08-2011, 07:52 PM
o_0 FloodSpectre

In multiplayer (I didn't see it) a monster who just came out of a gate destroyed the gate itself.

Nobear
01-09-2011, 03:55 AM
Another town which won't complete: Ambellin with Bleak Maze. Reloading the game didn't help. The frequency of these towns which won't complete has drastically increased lately. Also, a couple of recent towns haven't completed at first, and then decided to complete suddenly for some unknown reason, while I was just standing around.

Sinister Stairs
01-09-2011, 08:08 AM
In my experience (which may be different than yours), it's not that the town's won't complete, they just don't complete immediately. I am a completist so I tend to Clear each dungeon level after I've done all the quests; and during those clears, the towns have completed out of the blue.

I've yet to have a town that doesn't ever complete, although in my case they've eventually completed within a hour or two of gameplay; while yours sounds more persistent.

Just throwing my 2 coppers in, in the hopes it helps Shadow shed some light on the problem.

Shadow
01-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Another town which won't complete: Ambellin with Bleak Maze. Reloading the game didn't help. The frequency of these towns which won't complete has drastically increased lately. Also, a couple of recent towns haven't completed at first, and then decided to complete suddenly for some unknown reason, while I was just standing around.

If reloading won't fix the problem then a posted save game would actually help me track down the issue.

Ghost Matter
01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Quest screen with internal game name displayed.

I got the same. Watch out for the minus reputation!

Nobear
01-11-2011, 01:22 AM
Watch out for the minus reputation!

If you're referring a crazy huge -rep number that periodically appears, yes I assume that is a bug. Don't know what it's linked to, but it needs to go.

Another bug: on my rogue with 100% disarm trap, I still occasionally activate traps, like falling down to lower levels or setting off explosive barrels. I maxed that talent for a reason; it'd be great to have it 100% reliable.

Nobear
01-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Another quest which claims the NPC I turn it into is in the dungeon, where you can see he's in town. His name appears at the top center of the screen.

Nobear
01-11-2011, 01:38 AM
I don't know if this is considered a bug, but it's confusing to the player. I have 2 find plans quests on the same level, and it won't let me pick up a second set of plans. I have to turn in the first quest for the plan objects to respawn and then find one again.

Stardusts
01-11-2011, 08:06 AM
I don't know if this is considered a bug, but it's confusing to the player. I have 2 find plans quests on the same level, and it won't let me pick up a second set of plans. I have to turn in the first quest for the plan objects to respawn and then find one again.

cuz you're picking up the wrong one, that plan is the same one that is completed and somewhere in the dungeon there is another plan for the incomplete one. There is no way to distinguish the two except trying to pick them up.

Sinister Stairs
01-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Quest description says it all. The screenshot is dated 1/9; I'm not sure if that'd be .013 or .012.

Sinister Stairs
01-13-2011, 12:04 PM
I think the barbarians are still too lethal. The attached carnage was with me already in town. If I had been in the dungeon and away from a Gate, the town would have been toast.

I think either the # of barbs need to be tweaked, or tone them down so they aren't 1-shotting townsfolks.

(Disclosure: Level 86 world, Difficult Monsters turned on.)

Shadow
01-13-2011, 12:40 PM
I think either the # of barbs need to be tweaked, or tone them down so they aren't 1-shotting townsfolks.

I can't tweak the number of barbarians. It's a full sized covenant. :)

Manumitted
01-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Another bug: on my rogue with 100% disarm trap, I still occasionally activate traps, like falling down to lower levels or setting off explosive barrels. I maxed that talent for a reason; it'd be great to have it 100% reliable.

The game doesn't list a trap's absolute level, and it only lists relative trap disarm chances for container/door traps. You might be surprised at how far a trap can exceed your level or the mobs' starting level. I've seen the stats report my best trap disarmed at over six levels above my then character level.

Also, some lesser traps do still go off--by design?--at well over 100% trap disarm chance. Magma and Acid are particular offenders for me.

@Sinister Stairs: That whole Second Coming thing didn't work out too well for Jesus, did it? Killed by the barbarians for a second time, when he was just trying to live a quiet life in a small town.

spacehog
01-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Haven't noticed this in 1.014, but while playing 1.013 the gravestones I interacted with seemed to act like Evil Pools, leaving me with a curse most of the time. I vaguely remember that they used to contain loot and a reputation loss. Maybe I'm crazy and gravestones have always done this.

Nobear
01-14-2011, 07:44 PM
No it's a recent change. They do sometimes still give loot and a reputation loss.