PDA

View Full Version : Are ego weapons supposed to level up?

Flaksponge
01-07-2011, 12:50 PM
I was playing few weeks ago with a ego hammer and it had some strange message about it leveling is that normal or am I going crazy?

Roswitha
01-07-2011, 01:37 PM
That's a new feature that was introduced in Demon War.

Baki
01-07-2011, 01:40 PM
how exatly does that work? When does a Ego Item lvlup and what happens then?

abomination5
01-07-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm curious too. Does damage scale? Do item properties scale? What is the cap?

Shadow
01-07-2011, 03:06 PM
The max damage will go up a bit and it can't get to a level higher than your character.

DeathKnight1728
01-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I was thinking about how ego weapons have to be pretty good to level all the way to 100 so i had an idea on minimum damage. Maybe to make them more viable, instead of 1 to max damage every level, it would be that plus 1 to minimum instead of maximum every 5th, 6th, or 7th level. That way the minimum damage will go up a little and make the weapon more realistic. I have a few ego weapons but none that i think would be worthwhile all the way to 100 due to low minimum damage. If minimum goes up every 6th or 7th level it will rectify that low damage. Would this be possible to implement eventually shadow or will it be too big of a task.

Max_Powers
01-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Can you give more info on how ego items level, Shadow? Like what is it that makes them level? Experience gained from just killing creatures, or from quests, too? Does it have anything to do with damage dealt, or maybe just the number of creatures killed.

What about skills that are based on your weapons damage, like the Shuriken skill for the trickster. The reason I ask is because my necro/trickster has this awesome staff that I haven't seen anything about it leveling. Is there a way to see the items progress towards the next level up?

Thanks.

Stardusts
01-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I found a rather unpleasant feature of ego weapons- when they level up their lv requirements also go up :(. For a few max dmg points (not necessary 1, my lv3 wep got +2 max dmg on its first lv up) its totally not worth it if the item level goes up especially for low lv items. I have an array of good low lv items for any starter character I create and some of them are ego. My lv3 req axe just went up to a lv4 req and its bad because I would like my char to be able to use these items as soon as possible. Btw are items gonna level up forever to lv100? :eek:

May I suggest a different way on ego item lv system: making a new modifier called "Item Level" and all new ego items have lv0. Whenever an item lv up the Item Level goes up instead of the level requirement of that item. Common and Uncommon items have lv10 maximum, rare and very rare have 20 and elite/set items have 30-50 maximum levels (legendary difficulty elites have more lv than lower difficulty elites). This way you won't make an ego item worthless as its level req keeps going up (with minimal improvement in dmg) and it fails to compete with items of similar level at some point.

I also notice all ego items on my lv100 char never level up despite him getting a bunch of exp farming. I guess ego items level has something to do with the exp bar (which stands still at lv100) not character exp gain, can this be changed to actual exp gain upon killing things/completing quests? No reason to punish lv100 chars making them unable to lv up items.

Shadow
01-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I was thinking about how ego weapons have to be pretty good to level all the way to 100 so i had an idea on minimum damage.

In general you aren't going to want to level one all of the way up to 100, at least not from a low level, since the modifiers will still be low level. This is really by design anyways. I would still like you to replace your weapon every once in a while.

Can you give more info on how ego items level, Shadow? Like what is it that makes them level? Experience gained from just killing creatures, or from quests, too? Does it have anything to do with damage dealt, or maybe just the number of creatures killed.

It is just a simple chance per kill which gets smaller as it goes up in level. The chance does get modified based on hated or loved monsters.

I found a rather unpleasant feature of ego weapons- when they level up their lv requirements also go up :(. For a few max dmg points (not necessary 1, my lv3 wep got +2 max dmg on its first lv up) its totally not worth it if the item level goes up especially for low lv items. I have an array of good low lv items for any starter character I create and some of them are ego. My lv3 req axe just went up to a lv4 req and its bad because I would like my char to be able to use these items as soon as possible. Btw are items gonna level up forever to lv100? :eek:

Yes, this is a limitation by design to keep it balanced.

Baki
01-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Is there a level limit for ego weapons?

Tar Palantir
01-09-2011, 05:35 PM
it doesn't go higher than your own lvl, so it wouldn't go past 100

DeathKnight1728
01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Ego weapons are actually not that bad. I found a dagger that has some increased attack speed and is at a low level. Though the damage is not the best, it goes up damage by 1 and even 2 sometimes in just 1 level. If you calculate that the max level being 100, not a bad weapon until you get the major ones. Especially if you dont like switching weapons that often.