PDA

View Full Version : Combo points idea

Nobear
01-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I was looking through Din's Curse's files, and decided to unzip /Assets/assets001.zip. In assets001/Database/skills.gdb, I noticed that BaseSkill has a UsesComboPoints entry which is set to 0 by default. I don't know what the original idea for combo points was, but it gave me a cool idea.

For background: In WoW, a rogue's combo points are specific to a given enemy, and are lost when the player changes targets, because the system is balanced around strong enemies who take at least a few hits to kill. So there are opening moves that do things like super damage or stun, which can only be done from stealth; combo point building moves which do moderate damage and build combo points, one or two at a time, up to a maximum of 5; and finishing moves which spend all combo points to do things similar to the opening moves, but whose power is proportional to the number of combo points built on the enemy.

Since most monsters are one- or two-shotted by a rogue in Din's Curse, combo points should be implemented differently. Every current rogue special attack should add 1 combo point, and these should build up to a maximum of 5, but combo points should be global and not tied to one enemy. I suggest introducing just one new finisher at first, which gives what rogues lack: AOE. It could be a Fan of Knives style move, which spends all combo points to damage, poison and silence up to 5 targets. Either the damage and duration would be proportional to the number of combo points, or the number of targets would.