PDA

View Full Version : Skill Trees?

Castruccio
07-09-2014, 06:14 PM
You may not know this yet, but I just wanted to ask whether we will see the return of skill trees in this game, or whether it will be primarily equipment based like Drox.

Shadow
07-09-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm planning on going back to the player having skills. Drox is very item based because that makes more sense to me in a sci-fi setting.

Murphius
08-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Are you going to allow players to mix and match skill trees like you did in Din's Curse?

If so, might I suggest allowing players to make a custom class with an equal number of trees. Perhaps at an experience penalty or some other fault.

This would be for fun - customizing a character is often my favourite part of a game, and the more options the better. In addition characters that can do lots of things (even if they're not good at them) can be a lot of fun.

Shadow
08-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Are you going to allow players to mix and match skill trees like you did in Din's Curse?

I haven't decided that yet.

Bluddy
08-13-2014, 02:57 PM
I think there are a few big improvements that can be added to Din's skill trees:

1. Gate the skills somehow. The concept of completely open skill trees mean that many skills won't even be tried, or will be completely ignored.

2. Allow the skills to change as you upgrade them. Have the animation, radius, particle number etc feed off of the data in the skills, so that after you upgrade fireball 5 levels (or whatever) you get an extra fireball, or you get splash damage, or the fireball gets bigger. Having the numbers just go up isn't satisfying enough. A mix of automatic enhancements (e.g. every 4 levels, this happens) and hand-crafted enhancements (e.g. a fireball at level 20 causes a huge gust of wind as well) would be best.

3. Give some way for characters to have temporary skills from other trees. Some (perhaps super-rare) items could provide x number of charges of certain skills. It has to be limited in some way so it doesn't overwhelm the skill trees, but it'll add some needed variety as the character progresses.

abomination5
05-07-2015, 09:42 PM
I think there are a few big improvements that can be added to Din's skill trees:

1. Gate the skills somehow. The concept of completely open skill trees mean that many skills won't even be tried, or will be completely ignored.

2. Allow the skills to change as you upgrade them. Have the animation, radius, particle number etc feed off of the data in the skills, so that after you upgrade fireball 5 levels (or whatever) you get an extra fireball, or you get splash damage, or the fireball gets bigger. Having the numbers just go up isn't satisfying enough. A mix of automatic enhancements (e.g. every 4 levels, this happens) and hand-crafted enhancements (e.g. a fireball at level 20 causes a huge gust of wind as well) would be best.

3. Give some way for characters to have temporary skills from other trees. Some (perhaps super-rare) items could provide x number of charges of certain skills. It has to be limited in some way so it doesn't overwhelm the skill trees, but it'll add some needed variety as the character progresses.

I think this is good feedback, especially point 2. I like for skill upgrades to be more than just +% damage. Honestly, I prefer it when there are no level ups that only result in +%, instead it should give new tactical possibilities/change how the character plays, although that may be too extreme for old school folks.

Regarding point 1, I do not think it it is necessary to lock skills. If all skills are useful it will not be a problem. It may limit the player's creativity. Instead, all skills should be useful/viable, and the player will need to choose based on his playstyle.

Cyberneticist
05-10-2015, 06:37 PM

If this happens, the problem isn't all skills being available from the start, but that the ignored skills are not useful/powerful enough in comparison - they fill the same role as other, "better" skills, they do not scale well or they are too situational, for example.

Picking skills should be a matter of chosing between viable, interesting alternatives rather than identifiying the one or two no-brainer choices.

2. Allow the skills to change as you upgrade them. Have the animation, radius, particle number etc feed off of the data in the skills, so that after you upgrade fireball 5 levels (or whatever) you get an extra fireball, or you get splash damage, or the fireball gets bigger.

A very good point. Some skills might even allow for completely different tactics if they are upgraded enough. I remember the Charged Bolt sorceress in D2 - with only a few skill points, charged bolt was fairly useless, but maxed and with synergies it became a "wall of light and destruction" that could compete with other builds.