PDA

View Full Version : Annoying

rich12545
01-09-2011, 08:43 PM
I saw this mentioned before. All those messages in a long horizontal box when going through the dungeon. Especially when there's a lot going on. I hope another way is developed to present the messages.

Roswitha
01-10-2011, 12:53 AM
I tend to pause, then click the X by the message box to close it, if the messages don't go away fast enough.

FWIW.

rich12545
01-10-2011, 01:03 AM
Sounds like a good work around. Probably still could use changing though.

Magitek
01-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Instead of just saying its annoying, perhaps you might help provide solutions.

One way I think it could be improved is by using a dungeon-keeper style message system, where icons of different types drop down on the side of the screen.

Icons can be flashing (town attack), or present important information if need be, however, lower priority information would require the user to mouse over the icon to see the content. They can then either be deleted by right mouse click or left to expire normally.
This way the users is not particularly distracted, or has to wade through a bunch of onscreen text to see the action.

Its simple to make and seems very effective in text-heavy situations.

http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/d/dungeon_keeper-271173-1249897585.jpeg

fiesher
01-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Hi all,

My suggestion is to filter the information into a couple of windows— one can be town-based source messages (X is starving, A starts fight with B etc), while the other is dungeon-based source messages (Boss Z is starting an uprising of bla bla bla, A Darkness machine is bla bla..)

Also, similar messages that pop up at the same time (e.g. 3 fist-fights occurring between townsfolk) can be placed under the latest message with an expand (+) icon in front of it. It can be moused over and you can see the other like-minded messages then.

rich12545
01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Instead of just saying its annoying, perhaps you might help provide solutions.

I would have provided a possible solution if I could have thought of any. But this is a beta and I just wanted to give my opinion on something that I thought could be improved.