PDA

View Full Version : Demon War new features - Toggleable?

ecliptic
01-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Hello, I was wondering if there are mutators or some other way to allow one to play Din's Curse in a more vanilla fashion after installing Demon War? I'm just wondering in case I want to play with the more static town's people.

Shadow
01-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Not generally, although there is a new slow NPC pace option in the latest build.

rich12545
01-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Is there a way to change this in the middle of a town? I just started a new one and am not even finished with level one. There have been at least five attacks on the town so far. The warmaster and some vendors are already dead. Slowing down the attacks and fights would be good.

Nobear
01-12-2011, 06:11 PM
No, gotta learn the hard way. Pick a slower pace for the world and the NPCs when you make a new town.

eides
01-12-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm in favor of an option to turn off (or slow down to an extreme degree) attacks and npc happiness degradation. They're great as-is when I'm playing, but my kids like to play and I generally have to save the town first and then let them play around in it.

rich12545
01-12-2011, 08:02 PM
No, gotta learn the hard way. Pick a slower pace for the world and the NPCs when you make a new town.

Ok, the way it's going it won't be too much longer anyway.

pnakotus
01-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I'd like the world options to be a bit more detailed too; to be able to jigger about with what kind of world you get.

For instance, I like to start with lots of things going on, but not necessarily 'fast' paced once it starts.

Shadow
01-13-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm in favor of an option to turn off (or slow down to an extreme degree) attacks and npc happiness degradation. They're great as-is when I'm playing, but my kids like to play and I generally have to save the town first and then let them play around in it.

The new Low Stress option coming in 1.014 might work well for the kids.

rich12545
01-13-2011, 11:44 AM
The new Low Stress option coming in 1.014 might work well for the kids.

I think I'll like it also. There was another attack and I lost the town shortly after my last post. I hadn't even finished the first level. Started a new town and was so overpowered in the dungeon I died twice pretty quickly and couldn't get my soulstone either time so my xp debt is huge.

Kruztee
01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
I think I'll like it also. There was another attack and I lost the town shortly after my last post. I hadn't even finished the first level. Started a new town and was so overpowered in the dungeon I died twice pretty quickly and couldn't get my soulstone either time so my xp debt is huge.

What level is your character at? There is a bit of a difficulty spike at about 20 for me (with all my characters) but it tends to get easier after that up to about 70 or so.

If you're having such a difficult time in the dungeons, then I doubt if the world pacing speed is the cause of your woes. More likely, you've just set the level of the dungeon too high for your character. You'll make less experience per kill on a lower level world but you'll be able to complete the quests at a much faster rate (that's where the experience is anyway), and doubtless, you'll level a lot more quickly too. The assumption that starting a world at the characters current level is a sure fire way to setup a world that your character will struggle to save. Especially with one of the less powerful hybrids, this will be the case.

Also, it's not really in the spirit of the game to slowly crawl through the levels and clear them all out. Sure it's a valid way to play if that's what you like, but realise that doing so is a kind of challenge game that will make things a lot harder on your character's abillity to save the town. The whole point of a living, dynamic world is to force players into making rushed decisions and imposing a bit of mayhem. I'm not inferring that that is your preferred playstyle, be aware that methodically clearing all the levels of the dungeon is neither required nor has any real point after a town is saved other than to satisfy a players need for obesessive completion.:D

rich12545
01-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Very interesting post. My character is level 12. And I do in fact try to clear the levels. But only until the town is saved. Part of the reason is that I can't get to lower levels without going through the top ones first. And it does seem that the current town is a bit too much for my character. I might just get out of it, try the new option in the patch 14, and lower the level a bit for the next town. Thanks for writing.

Nobear
01-13-2011, 05:52 PM
My original instinct was also to clear all the levels, and I had your problem Rich. You only need to stay in a level long enough to complete your quests on it. And sometimes it's even better to postpone certain quests to get to a lower level fast and kill the boss who keeps making machines, sending bad stuff to higher levels, and sending raids to town. Another time-bomb quest is "find plans". If plans are not found in time, bad stuff will happen including possibly a town invasion. Apart from the quests, I usually consider a level "clear" when I've found the two exits and activated the gate. This will help you keep up with the pace.

Also, I mentioned this elsewhere, but pause the game whenever you're dealing with a vendor, sorting through your items, looking at a long list of quests, etc. Basically whenever you're not moving or fighting.

rich12545
01-13-2011, 06:48 PM
All good advice. I think I'm finding a problem though. Maybe it's a bug. I don't know.

Seems like bad things come in bunches. The last town there were town raids one after another after another. Within 15 minutes of starting the town there were more than five raids. Then I lost the town. In my current town that I just started I'm constantly falling into a deeper level. Just now I was on L1, fell to L2, to L4, to L5 all withing a few minutes. Then I'd get overwhelmed and die. Because the soulstone is in an inaccessible place I can't get it. My xp debt is about 1500 I've been killed like that so many times just starting level 1 in this new town. This isn't fun. I'm seriously thinking about uninstalling the betas and going back to the last release and, if possible, find a way to cheat to reduce my xp debt.

Nobear
01-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Are you playing at Very Slow Pace? Also, 1.014 just came out with the Low Stress option!

Very important: you cannot go back to 1.010, because the character save format changed with 1.011. I'd recommend trying Very Slow Pace and Low Stress and see how you like it.

rich12545
01-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Are you playing at Very Slow Pace? Also, 1.014 just came out with the Low Stress option!

Very important: you cannot go back to 1.010, because the character save format changed with 1.011. I'd recommend trying Very Slow Pace and Low Stress and see how you like it.

I had upgraded to 14 just prior to my latest session. I'm on slow pace, I don't think I say very slow. Can I change to low stress in the middle of a town? And is there a way to reduce the xp debt (I mean, other than the obvious)?

Nobear
01-13-2011, 10:56 PM
You can download a no death penalty mod, I think you can find it on the main Din's Curse website in the Mods section. Then you won't have to worry about the XP penalty at all.

Also, you have to start a new town for the changes in a patch to take effect. You can't change anything mid-town, so download the no death penalty mod so you can just abandon towns freely until you get the pace you want. Make your new town a) Very Slow Pace and b) Low Stress and tell us if that doesn't help.

rich12545
01-13-2011, 11:53 PM
I looked through the entire mods section twice and couldn't find it.

I think I would only use it once for all these that I just got. Basically I think the penalty if fine. But I think there's something wrong with the current town/dungeon.

Caal
01-14-2011, 12:36 AM
I don't think there is a no death penalty mod, so I made one. See if this works for you.

rich12545
01-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Wow. I'll try it. Thanks very much.

Nobear
01-14-2011, 02:31 AM
What I was thinking of was the No Abandon Penalty mod, which gives no penalty for abandoning towns. I glanced at the No Town Attacks mod too, which is now obsolete if you make a new town with Low Stress.

rich12545
01-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't think there is a no death penalty mod, so I made one. See if this works for you.

Nope, didn't work. I still have almost 18,000 xp debt. Is there any way I can modify this?

icecube
01-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Nope, didn't work. I still have almost 18,000 xp debt. Is there any way I can modify this?

I think the mod only affects deaths after you 'install' the mod. That is, you won't get any more exp debt from deaths after having the mod. It won't change any exp debt you already have.

One solution is joining a multiplayer game and getting powerleveled for that 18,000 exp and then leaving and going back to solo.

Nobear
01-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah, just join one of my US West games. But be forewarned that you may level more than you want to be leveled. I'll be starting one again in a little while.

rich12545
01-14-2011, 03:31 PM
I never play multi and don't want to start having to figure out how it works. I found a mod that gives more xp for killing monsters. I'm going to mod that to make it much more, use it until the xp debt goes down to a fair level and then take the mod out. I like this game because it's relaxing and fun. But since the beta patches and DW it's been more stressful than anything else. After the mod and going to slow and easy I hope it returns to relaxing and fun.

pnakotus
01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
18,000 xp debt isn't that big. A single town will get rid of it. I've had more than 50,000 for accidentally quitting a town and dying a bunch.

rich12545
01-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Dang. Seems like 18,000 is REALLY a lot. Maybe I'm overreacting?

icecube
01-14-2011, 10:20 PM
I think it just depends on what level you are. It might be a lot for you right now.

rich12545
01-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Ok, I abandoned the town, started a new one on low stress and speed, used a x9 xp to get out of debt, and all is well again. Great new graphics. Thanks to everyone for the help.

jeremyosborne
01-16-2011, 07:01 PM
18,000 xp debt isn't that big. A single town will get rid of it. I've had more than 50,000 for accidentally quitting a town and dying a bunch.

Me too. I have a character I fondly call the "glass cannon." Massive killing machine, my highest level character, but the kill:death ratio is only 194; 104 deaths for that character alone.

It's good that Din has granted me immortality. I need it.