PDA

View Full Version : Unable to complete final quest

Hagaar
01-13-2011, 01:17 PM
I've run into a possible bug/problem. In the current town I'm in, the final quest given by the Warmaster is to destroy a "darkness machine". The dungeon has 8 levels and this is where the thing is "supposed" to be. Well, I've spent the last couple of days scouring and re-scouring the level. Nothing. I don't really want to abandon the town but I really don't feel like wasting my time here either.

I HAVE tried quitting and restarting the game a couple of times. And even leaving the level via the portal and going to another one for a spell before returning. Nothing.:confused:

Tar Palantir
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM
you might want to try your luck with secret rooms if you didn't already

Hagaar
01-13-2011, 04:31 PM
"Been there... Done that..." Thanks, but I spent a couple of hours "casing" all the walls. Nothing. I guess that the only thing I can do now is to abandon it. Ah well.

Ghost Matter
01-13-2011, 05:43 PM
You can install the no-penalty abandoning mod just for that town and then remove it right after.

Hagaar
01-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks. I'll do that.

Jack67
01-23-2011, 01:36 AM
Just for the record, I've run into this one too. For me, it was a "Fog Machine," though. Checked everywhere for secrets, every wall, even the stupid locations. Nothing. Version 1.015, Expansion installed.

Shadow
01-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Just for the record, I've run into this one too. For me, it was a "Fog Machine," though. Checked everywhere for secrets, every wall, even the stupid locations. Nothing. Version 1.015, Expansion installed.

You don't happen to have the save game of this still do you?

Jack67
01-24-2011, 11:08 AM
You don't happen to have the save game of this still do you?

Sorry, I don't. I used the mod to defeat the experience loss for abandoning a town and moved on.

Not that it's terribly useful, but earlier I ran into a similar problem with the killing of a ghost boss monster. I combed the level and he was nowhere to found. After many attempts, I decided to decline the quest and get it again. The ghost then appeared on the proper level; although, this might be drawing a false conclusion. Ghosts appear to move differently through the levels than other creatures, so maybe it was being drawn outside the player area? Maybe the same was happening with the Fog Machine? Just a wild, uniformed, and probably stupid guess....

Hagaar
01-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Shadow, If I run into this issue again, I can send you a copy of the savegame if you wish.

Btw, are the latest patches compatible with DC or do I need the expansion as well??

Shadow
01-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Shadow, If I run into this issue again, I can send you a copy of the savegame if you wish.

Btw, are the latest patches compatible with DC or do I need the expansion as well??

A save game would be useful.

The patches work with the base game and the expansion, so no you don't need the expansion.

Hagaar
01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=Shadow;21364]A save game would be useful.

Ok. I'll send one once I get this issue again.

Hagaar
01-24-2011, 11:08 PM
SIGH!!!:mad:

No sooner said then it happens. I have just run into the problem again Shadow. Aside from the character files do you need the log file for the character as well?

Shadow
01-25-2011, 09:53 AM
No sooner said then it happens. I have just run into the problem again Shadow. Aside from the character files do you need the log file for the character as well?

I think a save game will be fine.

Hagaar
01-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Here you go Shadow. I Hope I have the correct files for you. I HAVE added the log as well.

Bluddy
01-25-2011, 03:10 PM
I was just about to post here about having the same problem of not being able to find the boss, when I tried a section of wall that I never expected to be a secret wall and it melted away into a corridor. Also the level was large as is so I didn't expect it to get any bigger. I'm not saying that's the case in this instance, but regardless, it's probably not a great idea to put a required quest hidden behind a secret wall if there's some kind of way to tell the program to avoid it. Optional quests, on the other hand, are perfect to have behind secret walls.

Shadow
01-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Here you go Shadow. I Hope I have the correct files for you. I HAVE added the log as well.

When I load up that game Skeleton Lord is in one of the areas in the north west of the level. Is he not up there for you?

Hagaar
01-26-2011, 05:03 PM
When I load up that game Skeleton Lord is in one of the areas in the north west of the level. Is he not up there for you?

I just went into the game and did a sloooow search of the walls in the NW of the level. Nothing. I cannot find any secret walls or foes for that matter. as well as checked the areas for the entire floor.

Shadow
01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
I just went into the game and did a sloooow search of the walls in the NW of the level. Nothing. I cannot find any secret walls or foes for that matter. as well as checked the areas for the entire floor.

Hmm, he wasn't in a secret area. What version are you using?

Hagaar
01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Hmm, he wasn't in a secret area. What version are you using?

1.011. Though I did download the latest version patch.

Shadow, I recently attempted to install 1.015 and got an error message that told me that it was not compatible with my install and was told to reinstall 1.011.

Shadow
01-27-2011, 10:49 AM
1.011. Though I did download the latest version patch.

Shadow, I recently attempted to install 1.015 and got an error message that told me that it was not compatible with my install and was told to reinstall 1.011.

In this case, the newer patch might fix this problem.

Where did you buy the game? Are you using any mods? It sounds like something is not getting patched correctly.

Hagaar
01-27-2011, 11:04 AM
In this case, the newer patch might fix this problem.

Where did you buy the game? Are you using any mods? It sounds like something is not getting patched correctly.

Bought the game from here but as a "hard copy".

Yes I am using mods. They are: No Pentagrams Mod, No Abandon Penalty (as needed), No Town Attacks Mod, Brighter Dungeons Mod, Unlock Modes Mod, Safer Cave-ins mod, Arachnophobia Mod & [Release] Din's Additionals. I am always popping back here to check on updates to these, especially Additionals.

As for the newer patch, I'll try it today and let you know what happens.

Oh and something you should consider having in ALL the patches: The level where the quest is as in: xxxx (3). I find this very useful.

Hagaar
01-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Shadow,

I have just tried to install the latest patch (DCBeta1016) and as soon as I try to fire up the game, I get the following:

"Critical Error. Version mismatch! Please apply the latest patch (even if you have applied it before)."

I have tried to reapply this patch a couple of times and am not able to start the game. BUT(!!) once 1011 is reapplied, it starts fine.:confused:

Shadow
01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
"Critical Error. Version mismatch! Please apply the latest patch (even if you have applied it before)."

I think one of the mods is getting in the way, I would guess that it is Din's Additionals. If that is the problem he has been updating it for each patch version so you might just need to update to the latest version of the mod.

Hagaar
01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
I think one of the mods is getting in the way, I would guess that it is Din's Additionals. If that is the problem he has been updating it for each patch version so you might just need to update to the latest version of the mod.

The only one I can find is for 1015 as the latest. Will give that a try.

Hagaar
01-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Shadow,

Can you give me a link to patch 1015? The current one is still giving me that crit error message. But in the mean time, I'm going to remove the mods to see if there's a different one screwin' with the works.

Shadow
01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Win 1.015 Beta Patch (http://www.soldak.com/files/patches/DCBeta1015.exe)
Mac 1.015 Beta Patch (http://www.soldak.com/files/patches/DCMacBeta1015.zip)

In general I leave up the old patches and keep a consistent naming scheme.

Hagaar
01-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks.

THAT did the trick as far as being able to complete the final quest. Once I finished it, I saved and exited and tried to install 1016 over 1015. Crit error message was back.

tacitus
02-04-2011, 10:18 PM
I am having a similar problem - I have been looking for a renegade for awhile and have been unable to locate him. I also tried the decline/accept trick and looked for hidden doors. The town was started under 1.018 with demon war but was updated to 1.019. Also, the renegade was missing under 1.018.

I am probably just going to abandon this town, but here's the save game. Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

tacitus
02-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Had the problem again - another renegade has disappeared/is unreachable. But in addition a "friend's body" marker is showing up on the other side of the wall (where I can't get to it) in the minimap. Its possible I have missed a secret door but I don't think I have. I also tried reinstalling - same problem : DC 1.008, DC Patch 1.019, DW 1.011, DC Patch 1.019)

[edit : changed attachement]

Shadow
02-07-2011, 11:22 AM
I'll look at both games and see what is up.

Shadow
02-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Both of those were collision issues which will be fixed in 1.020.

tacitus
02-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Sounds good!