PDA

View Full Version : Performance

Bluddy
01-13-2011, 06:39 PM
When playing for a long time (more than 2 hours), I notice significant slowdown. Instead of 20-30 fps I get 7-10 fps even in town, and the main screen drops from ~40fps to around 13. I'm not sure if it's because of a memory leak, but memory usage goes up from around 90MB to around 170MB. Quitting the game and restarting it solves the problem.

Chex Warrior
01-13-2011, 07:21 PM
I wonder if this is somehow related to the frequent slowdowns that was mentioned in the Demon War thread.

Araxis
01-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Yesterday I also noticed my game was running around 150mb. It shocked me considering it's really not a very demanding peice of software... And I had been playing a while, this is on DW 1.015. The fps seemed to get a bit more choppy but Im not totally sure what the #'s on that were

Bluddy
01-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Just to clarify, I'm not certain what the proper memory footprint is for DC. I don't want to imply that 170MB is too much -- it's just an observation.

To see your fps, press ~ and then type in "fps 1" and press ~ again to close the panel. I noticed a big difference several hours in, though I can't be 100% sure about that either -- my computer is pretty old and lately, since I've been gathering pets with my necromancer build (and thus there's more calculation involved), fps has been lower throughout.

Shadow
01-18-2011, 10:52 AM
170MB is pretty reasonable for DC. The game will purposely let itself get up to about 192MB before it starts freeing unused assets.

Araxis
01-18-2011, 10:54 AM
170MB is pretty reasonable for DC. The game will purposely let itself get up to about 192MB before it starts freeing unused assets.

:eek:

Good day sir!

Bluddy
01-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Shadow, there's definitely some kind of slowdown going on. Playing DoP I eventually got down to 3-7 fps on my machine - almost intolerable. Quitting and reloading managed to get me up to 30-35 fps. Granted, I have an old machine so I can notice this slowdown fairly easily. Since I get the same effect in DC, I'm guessing that whatever is causing this still exists in the current engine.

pnakotus
01-21-2011, 08:12 AM
I don't notice any slowdown, even after many hours. My computer is several years old. With 6+ players there's some strangeness, but that's more network related than anything else.

170MB is such low memory usage I could run a dozen instances without even noticing. My browser is using more than that right now. :V

Chex Warrior
01-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Yes Shadow there is something going on, my game has been jumping from 20 fps to 10 to 50 to 60 over and over. Any ideas?

Bluddy
01-26-2011, 03:27 PM
I accidentally came across something very interesting tonight.

I left DC running on the title screen, showing the knight and the monsters. Even my poor old laptop (1.3Ghz Celeron, 1GB RAM, RADEON Mobility 9600) can handle that screen at 59.6-59.9 fps. I then had to put the baby to sleep. 30 minutes later I come out and find the same title screen running at 29 fps!

Others can try verify my results. Show the fps count with ~, fps 1, and ~ again, and leave DC on the title screen. Note the fps count you get. The slower your computer, the better, since there's a better chance you'll see the performance impact. Now wait 10-15 minutes. I don't know exactly how long because I haven't timed it yet. The fps count remains steady, until a certain point when it will start to go down dramatically.

My 59.6 fps quickly went down to 40 fps within 1-2 minutes. Then, the level stayed at 40 fps for another 10 minutes or so, and then it went down past 34 fps... I didn't bother to check how low it went.

What this means is that the slowdown has nothing to do with the game calculations but with the engine. Something periodic is happening that kills performance slowly without the game even starting, and it's especially noticeable on my computer since it's slow.

Bluddy
01-26-2011, 03:55 PM
I did some measurements, and on my computer the first steady stage at 59 fps lasts about 8:30 minutes. Then there's a descent period which is hard to pin down. It drops for about a minute, then is a little steady for about 50 seconds, then goes down sharply for 20 seconds, finally to settle at 40 fps for about 6:20 minutes. The descent then begins again and goes in fits of about a minute at a time.

These time measurements should be taken with a grain of salt. It's very hard to know when the fps drops and when it's just jumping around, which happens a lot during the drops.

Manumitted
01-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Laptops generally have inadequate cooling. They can't run at 100% CPU and 100% GPU, as a game makes them do, for long without overheating. They slow down to protect themselves when they get too hot. Once you quit the game, the machine returns to low-power idle mode and rapidly cools, allowing the frame rate to recover for awhile when you reload the game.

Try taking the machine outside (if it's winter where you live) and see if the slowdown takes longer to happen.

Bluddy
01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Laptops generally have inadequate cooling. They can't run at 100% CPU and 100% GPU, as a game makes them do, for long without overheating. They slow down to protect themselves when they get too hot. Once you quit the game, the machine returns to low-power idle mode and rapidly cools, allowing the frame rate to recover for awhile when you reload the game.

Try taking the machine outside (if it's winter where you live) and see if the slowdown takes longer to happen.

I'll try your advice, but here's why I don't think that's the case here:
- I don't see this issue in anything but DoP and DC. I play other heavier games like Thief 3, GTA San Andreas, Deus Ex 2 and Darwinia. All of them strain the CPU and some the GPU, and there's never a continuous drop in fps.
- The title screen of DC is not intense. That's precisely why I was so surprised to see the fps drop: it's very light on the CPU and the GPU. I thought it was the demand of the game that was straining my CPU, but it doesn't seem like that's the case at all.
- If it were a heat issue, then what I should be seeing is this: heat would build up, the CPU would throttle down, the fps would go down, and then as the CPU/GPU cools, the fps should go back up. Instead there's a downward spiral.
- If it were a heat issue, quitting the game and starting it up immediately again should throttle my CPU/GPU down again (because of the remaining heat), causing the fps to start lower the second time. That doesn't happen -- the fps starts at 59, then slowly drops exactly as it did the first time, implying that it's not a heat issue, but a software issue.

What it *looks* like is some kind of engine issue. It could also be something specific to my machine, which is why I'd appreciate others doing this experiment, especially if they have older machines.

Bluddy
01-27-2011, 03:05 AM
OK guys. Just did an overnight test on my wife's computer, and there was no drop in fps at all, which means it's just an issue with my computer. Maybe it really has to do with overheating.

Sorry for all the commotion, and sorry for blaming it on the engine, Shadow.

Bluddy
02-01-2011, 02:06 PM
In case anyone else encounters the same computer issues as myself, I'd like to post my solution. I'm not sure if it's a driver issue or something else in my laptop, but running the game in a window fixed the performance on my computer. The same applies to DoP.

Mckertis
02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
I find that window performance is much worse than fullscreen. It generally is as a principle. The dungeons are always pretty fast, but the town can be quite laggy. Which would be almost fine, except there are fights in towns in this game.

CautiousChaos
07-06-2012, 11:28 AM
I've been having the same performance issues as well. DW expansion, latest drivers, latest version. The new dungeon types are instigators and drop my FPS by 50%. I also see the performance drop after playing for over an hour. The longer I play, the worse the FPS.

I've gone into Windows and stopped services and killed processes in order to reduce the CPU footprint. This has helped to some degree, but I don't get the 'normal' FPS until I shutdown and restart the machine.

-cc