PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Rant, Coyotes Anyone?

Delilah Rehm
12-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Our local (stupid) television news station did a piece about our (and I mean in our actual neighborhood) local coyote residents. Apparently, teachers at a school were having the kids come in from the playground anytime one was spotted. Now, the city has caught one, removing it from its pack, and probably releasing it somewhere far away but suitable (we have a nice city for the most part).

Iím angry! I love our native wildlife, and now hereís another thing that makes this place special, gone. The wildlife here make me feel at home like I do in Colorado, a sort of peacefulness. And now thereís less of it. Someone on the news (a resident) said the coyotes have been here twenty-five years. It isnít fair they have to go because of a media brouhaha.

Last week on our walk, we were really close to a tree with two hawks talking to each other. It was very cool. I decided that I wonít be as upset about the loss of the coyotes (if they can catch them all) if it means more hawks. I could kick myself for not taking my camera. When I get a picture of them, Iíll post it.

EndymyrBrand
12-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Chicago's outlying neighborhoods and suburbs have had coyote problems too; one wildlife group argued that the catch-and-release program was ineffective at best and cruel at worst, because coyotes don't usually stay in the new area they're taken to; they try to make their way back to their original hunting ground. Many end up dying on the trip, hit by cars, other injuries, lack of food, etc., and the rest end up right back in the same place they were removed from in the first place, which doesn't solve the problem.

Shadow
12-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Actually as far as we can tell, we don't have a coyote "problem". From what we can tell they have been in the area for decades now at least and I have never actually heard about any of them doing anything dangerous. Every time we have seen them, they have darted back into the little strip of woods that we live near.

Delilah Rehm
12-17-2007, 02:12 PM
I hope it all blows over and Plano can continue ignoring the issue instead of trying to trap them. I really do like having them here. I've never heard any complaints about little dogs or cats getting eaten or anything. That might be due to the fact that we have lots of squirrels and bunnies.

Delilah