PDA

View Full Version : 1.014+ Invasion Mode Feedback

Nobear
01-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Now that Invasion Mode will only take 2.5 hours, I decided to give it another try. These are the settings I used:

Level 94
Small World
Normal Pace
Fast NPC Pace

I used my 92 Warrior, so the dungeon level was "hard" compared to mine. The invasion mode did give me an added "rush against the clock" feeling, and made me rush to find gates and use them once a minute was remaining until the next wave.

That said, I completed all other quests, essential and optional, and activated all 7 levels of gates, shortly after the 5th wave of 100. At this point, there are still 7 minutes between waves, and I still wonder what I'll be doing between waves.

Suggestion: I think the time between waves should further decrease once all other non-optional quests are finished. Alternately, make finishing all essential quests trigger several new quests all at once, as long as the invasion quest is ongoing.

Nobear
01-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Update: Cleared Wave 7 now, and the dungeon isn't respawning for some reason. I've cleared all 7 levels of the dungeon and checked every level, and there's literally nothing to do now but sit and wait in the upper left hand corner of the town where I know the invaders will always come from. It's at the point where as a patient beta tester, I'm willing (I think) to sit through it so I can give feedback, but it's far from the fun and hectic gameplay I imagine you'd want when Demon War goes live.

Another suggestion: make the waves spawn from different points along the town wall, to make it less predictable.

Nobear
01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Update: Cleared wave 9. I think I'm going to leave the game unpaused while I go shave now. I'll leave the sound up in case something happens.

pnakotus
01-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Invasion will probably need more than a timer; at very least, a shorter timer once everyone is dead. I'd rather see something based on actions ingame, but even 'you have 5m to kill the wave or 20s after the last guy is killed, whatever is shorter' would cut it down.

Nobear
01-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Well the waves so far have been very quick and easy, and all spawned from the upper left corner except for one, which was coordinated and also came from the upper right corner. It normally takes me just a few seconds to kill a wave, so I think the timer should go down to 20s between waves when no other quests are left. Either that or continue to respawn the dungeon and introduce new quests throughout the invasion mode, so there continues to be stuff to do and juggle.

Nobear
01-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Update: Just cleared wave 50. Ok, wave 20 caught me by surprise (which is good). Before that, I was able to take out the trash, put new trash bags in, use the restroom twice, shave, and check thoroughly multiple times for respawns between waves, all with the game unpaused.

Correction: Dungeon respawns eventually started happening again, along with new quests from NPCs. There is no bug there.

The reason wave 20 caught me by surprise is that it's the first wave with less than 1 minute before it, so I was in the dungeon catching up on quests I had missed while shaving when the wave started. That's what teleport stones are for.

At some point soon after wave 20, the time between waves didn't get any shorter. It was exciting at first, then got a little monotonous as I just camped in the upper left corner of town waiting for the next wave. There is just enough time between these waves to go back and sell (if you pause the game), store items in your stash, and make it back to catch the next wave. By wave 50, my quest log would have been full again had I had time to pick up new quests, including the curse breaking out as a result of the invasions. Seems like a perfect scenario for multiplayer, where one person handles above-ground while the other person handles below-ground.

Now at wave 50, things are starting to get exciting again, because the size of the waves is getting big enough to start being a non-trivial challenge beating them.

Nobear
01-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Final update: I got owned after wave 76 being sent. I bet I would have lasted a lot longer if not for the (I suppose needed) Block nerf, good timing! The screenshot is from just before all the essential NPCs were slain, by a few monsters from a previous wave that got past me as wave 76 came to sweep over the last of the living. I took the screenshot after killing a few from that wave, as you can see by the fresh corpses, so I'd estimate the total number of monsters at about 20 for that wave. The monsters were all 5 levels above me.

Hypothesis: If you are playing at a fast enough pace to keep things going between the first 20 waves, the invasion mode should make for a very fun added challenge the way it stands now. I like how hard it seems like it's going to be to beat wave 100. However, I can see the whole thing being trivial for an Ice Mage, who has AOE which affects an unlimited number of enemies. I can also see it being near impossible for a rogue who has no significant AOE damage at high level.

Suggestion: To make it equally hard (and more interesting) for all classes, I suggest capping the number of enemies at about 10, and then making a higher % of them Champion, Elite, Boss, etc. as the waves progress further.

Nobear
01-14-2011, 04:39 AM
New Invasion Mode town, this time my level instead of 2 levels higher, and on Fast Pace instead of normal:

Level 94
Small World
Fast Pace
Fast NPC Pace

This time I finished all other quests and activated all gates by wave 8 instead of wave 5. I took the really exciting screenshot as I was waiting just after I'd finished everything. Less time to do major house chores while the game is running this time, but still a lot of waiting.

Note: I've been playing several hours each day since Demon War beta came out (always on 50+ toons), and with the Fast NPC Pace option checked since it became available, and I still have never seen most of the "bad behavior" of NPCs people complain about. Any insight into the interaction between high level and NPC tameness, Shadow?

Shadow
01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Note: I've been playing several hours each day since Demon War beta came out (always on 50+ toons), and with the Fast NPC Pace option checked since it became available, and I still have never seen most of the "bad behavior" of NPCs people complain about. Any insight into the interaction between high level and NPC tameness, Shadow?

I think what happens is they have less money problems at higher levels for some reason, although I'm not sure why this is yet.

Nobear
01-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Does anything that adds happiness scale with level? Does shopping for higher level items add more happiness, for instance?

On a very loosely related note, I think the gambler quests should scale more with level, so they always feel like a real gamble.

Shadow
01-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Does anything that adds happiness scale with level? Does shopping for higher level items add more happiness, for instance?

No happiness stuff scales by level (at least directly).

Nobear
01-14-2011, 08:32 PM
New invasion town, started with me and Icecube. Then Icecube had to go so I decided to face hell myself:

Level 96
Small World
Very Fast Pace
Fast NPC Pace
Invasion Mode (spiders)

As you can see, this is about as chaotic as it gets. There was a machinist boss on level 5 who kept making several machines at once, and so many things to juggle that a couple times I totally missed my "1 minute remains" message to get my butt back to town while Icecube kept beating on those machines. Fortunately he completed all other active quests before he left. Needless to say, they racked up fast again since I continued it on my own and it was Very Fast Pace.

1) These waves are sure good XP once they get going!
2) This is what the pidows look like in that cuddly wuddly split second before they pounce.
3) Both my armorsmiths are dead. Next move: run to the far side of town to buy 3 stacks of food and health potions. I'll need em!
4) The Warmaster is under attack! I'm coming, as soon as I rip...my...argh!...boots from these spiderwebs!
5) Would you wear a T-shirt with this design?

Nobear
01-14-2011, 09:13 PM
6) The Warmaster is dead. Lou, you're just gonna have to hold out there buddy. I can spare some change the moment I can spare some time...
7) I missed a great shot where I had the action paused with the Steward (last major guy standing) at a hair above 0 health. A potion kept him alive for a wave or two. Then well, you can see what I'm dealing with.
8) Sorry Lou, I failed you. Pepin and Well, seeing your unopened gifts in my last moments helped me welcome death, knowing that I was loved.

Nobear
01-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Since I haven't read anything about the timing of Invasion Mode in patches after 1.014, I assume there's still going to be a lot of waiting involved if I try it again. Now that I have the achievement, I don't feel motivated to play it again for this reason. How about that idea of jumping waves to the final pacing of wave 20+ once all quests are done?