PDA

View Full Version : Black on Black Crime, Whatís the Answer?

Delilah Rehm
12-13-2007, 12:27 PM
In a recent political debate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9bcgMs_RIA)(in the US)(it's about a third of the way through the video), one of the candidates running for president was asked what heíd do about black on black crime. He said (Iím paraphrasing it) heíd promote marriage, because having both parents around will give children a more stable beginning.

My first thought was, ďAre you kidding me?Ē But he wasnít. He really believes that is the solution. If he gets elected and funds a campaign for marriage, I see a lot of unhappy, reluctant couples out there seeking an affordable divorce. How does marriage address poor employment rates, poor education, and what I believe the true root of the issue, the inner city anti-education stigma? It doesnít. This guy isnít looking at reality.

Maybe heíd be a good president in other areas of the office, but honestly, this bothers me. What if someone gets into office who looks at the situation in Iraq with the same reality-lacking logic? Itís going to be messy. Or itís going to be the same, depending on your opinion. My opinion is that black on black crime will not be reduced by any sort of pro-marriage campaign. Itís like an umbrella in a hurricane. Will you stay dry? :p

Addressing the anti-education stigma in inner city schools wouldnít be easy or cheap. I saw a program highlighted on Oprah (http://www.oprah.com/tows/slide/200705/20070531/slide_20070531_284_107.jhtml), where three black teachers, enthused for the project, worked really hard to change the attitudes of black students in one particular school. They received outstanding results. I believe they funded the project themselves, donating their time. If our next president were to fund something like that project, there would not only be markedly less black on black crime, but less unemployment, less single parents who would rather be married, and so on. Living in a high stress environment tends to harm many areas of life. Itís much more than just about marriage.

EndymyrBrand
12-13-2007, 04:35 PM
One of the contributing factors to a declining rate of married ("traditional") African-American families or couples is the high rate of incarceration of younger black men, anyway. Black women, most of whom have the same ambitions as everyone else, aren't likely to be enthusiastic about marrying someone who's been to jail or prison.

So, under that thinking, saying marriage is a solution is putting the cart before the horse; if there were fewer black criminals (in 2002, Human Rights Watch found some U.S. states had over 10% of their entire black population incarcerated) it might be easier for black women to find potential mates. Regardless, I entirely agree that marriage is at best a symptom, not a solution. *sigh*

Kruztee
12-13-2007, 08:03 PM
"This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."

So I couldn't watch the video.

But bad parents will be bad parents and good ones will be good. It matters insignificantly whether they are married or not.

I seems obvious to me that children need to grow up in an environment of love, have a right to a quality education and the freedom to have hopes and dreams for their future. The recipe for ending black on black violence is really that simple. But in practice, there are very few votes (and even less political funding) to be gained by providing these basic rights to poor kids, and the religious right has very deep pockets and is a disturbingly dominant and growing force in US politics these days. Why not pitch to them? If I were a power hungry politician I would consider that a smart policy move, especially if I had my sights set on the White House.

Delilah Rehm
12-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Sigh... That is so true. I never even thought to ask myself, "Do these guys (and gal) even care about black on black crime? Or do they just try to look pretty with pretty, empty-meaningless, words.

Even if that is the case, I still want someone to run who can see reality and not have usless ideas about issues. I want someone who can really change things that need to be changed, even if that person only changes a small percentage of it. That would be better than trying stupid stuff that causes more problems.