PDA

View Full Version : 1.015 beta installer problem - Mac

Crisses
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
There's no ability to "Select Folder" in the .pkg installer -- at least not on my system.

Running
Mac OSX 10.6.6 on an iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 2.5 GB memory.

Moving my Din's Curse folder back to /Applications worked but not everyone can do that.

If it's a simple case of overwriting a few files, it might be possible to use the "Show Files" ability in the "Installer" menubar, but I've never used that.

Shadow
01-21-2011, 01:43 PM
You should be able to change the directory. This is the process on my Mac:

1) Start the installer
2) Click continue
3) Click on the correct drive
4) Click Choose Folder

Aet
01-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Make sure you click on the hard drive icon in the "Select a Destination" section. The Choose Folder... button does not appear for me until I click on my drive (even though it may already appear selected).

Crisses
01-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Yep -- I have more than one drive, so I have to wait for a bit before it allows me to select my main hard drive. I clicked on that, no additional button appeared.

So since no "Choose Folder" appeared, I went on to the next step -- no option there. I went back and tried again. No such option. Even doublechecked the menu items on top to make sure that it wasn't moved. So I tried installing it, figured maybe it would automagically find it. Nope. So I moved my Din's Curse folder and re-installed the patch. Still no "Choose Folder" option the 2nd time I ran the installer.

I've been on macs a long time (over 20 yrs), I've worked as tech support for Macs, and I have some programming skills. I know exactly what the "choose folder" button looks like, and I've used it many times before. It simply isn't an option on my computer. Heck, I can even do it again and send a screen shot :)

Now, it might not be a problem in the patch installer. It may be my OS and/or an Apple bug. I thought maybe this particular patch didn't have the feature to choose folder, but it could be my end or the installer software (or even another conflicting package I have installed on my machine....). So if others are OK with a freshly downloaded installer working as it should, then mine is the fluke :)

Oh yeah, and I'm logged in under the main/administrator account, in case that should ever matter; I have full permissions to install in the Application directory etc.

Shadow
01-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Hmm, that is strange. I had to actually run the installer to give you those steps. :) That's the OS version I'm using also. I'm not actually sure what controls if/when the package installer shows the Choose Folder option.

Amberjoy
01-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Humm..odd. I have a G4Mac and a Mac laptop (intel) and haven't had any problems installing patches. I do have to make sure when I click on the 'main harddrive that I search for 'desktop', which is where I have my game. folder choices show up and then I click on which folder, etc. and then continue, install, blah blah. Occassionaly I have to wait for computer to get the correct folder/computer but not too long.

I have all the patches installed otherwise I'd go and install one step by step to see how I do it. Shrug.

Aet
01-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Sorry, I was just checking the obvious first. No offense meant. :(

I can't repeat this bug. I plugged in some extra drives before starting up the patch installer, but it still obediently shows the button when I select (any) drive.

Could the download have been corrupted somehow? Have you seen this installer behavior anywhere else? And is Dins installed on an external/non-boot drive?

Amberjoy
01-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi, me again. Since there was a new patch out I wrote down what I did to install it on my main drive. Can't get to my laptop as the switch between the two went wonky.

Put the patch in the area where game icon was. Click to install. Got message and 'continue' button. Did that and I had to wait a bit of time for all the harddrives hooked up to appear as icons on the screen. A 'Choose" button appeared. I clicked on my main drive and screen changed, so I clicked on Desktop (as that was where the game was in a folder) An 'open' button appeared, click, and back to the first window for installing. Now it had 'continue' again - click, and 'install' button showed up. Clicked on that and bingo, installed and 'close' button appears. Click and already to go to game folder and play. If your doing that and still nothing happens, its beyond my expertise. :D I'm lucky at 65yrs :eek: to be able to do what I did do. :D

Crisses
01-23-2011, 09:29 AM
I went to do it again (dragged the .pkg out of the Trash) so I could screenshot the window, and of course "Choose Folder" appears NOW. :)

So either it was an intermittent/temporary glitch or I've lost my eyesight ;)

Thanks everyone for being so responsive.