PDA

View Full Version : Experience formula?

Rexferitus
12-14-2007, 01:04 PM
I was wondering, how is the experience divided if I have a party member with me? Is it worth it to drag someone around with you? What is the formula for xp dividing and is it the same for monster kills and quests alike?

Greets to everyone, rock on, RPGs for ever! ;)

Shadow
12-14-2007, 06:03 PM
xpSplit = 1.0f / numGroupMembers;
xpSplit += 0.5f * ( 1.0f - xpSplit );

So when you have a recruit along with you adventuring, you will be getting 75% of your normal experience but so is the recruit.

Rexferitus
12-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Ok, thanks for explaining that.

And how about for quests, when I complete a quest and have a party member with me I get 100% XP and the party member sometimes gets even more than that, is that because the party members level is lover than the quest level?

Shadow
12-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Yes. Pretty much any time you get experience the level of the objective and your level (or in this case your recruit's level) is taken into account. If you are a lower level than the objective you get more experience, if you are a higher level then you get less.

Rexferitus
12-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Once again, thank you dude.

Kruztee
12-16-2007, 03:16 AM
xpSplit = 1.0f / numGroupMembers;
xpSplit += 0.5f * ( 1.0f - xpSplit );

So when you have a recruit along with you adventuring, you will be getting 75% of your normal experience but so is the recruit.

Wow, I had no idea that this was the case. I nearly always have a covenant member or other other covenant leader with me when I play, but now I'm not so sure that solo is a bad idea. The extra 25% experience for my character for going solo through some of the easy stuff will certainly pay off in time. Of my four characters (one of each class) only the priest seems weak for her level. I doubt that she'd get very far by herself - but mage, warrior and rogue should all be able to solo somewhat effectively. Thanks for the info!:D

Rexferitus
12-16-2007, 08:17 AM
@Kruztee

Ah, but having a member with you makes shure that:

a) you kill stuff faster = more XP faster

So that 25% percent XP penality actually gets canceled out by the faster XP gain rate

b) your covenant power level rises as members level rises

Oh and don't worry you get full XP for quests and the member gets even more depending on how much lower his/her level is than the quest's level

Kruztee
12-16-2007, 07:44 PM
@Kruztee

Ah, but having a member with you makes shure that:

a) you kill stuff faster = more XP faster

So that 25% percent XP penality actually gets canceled out by the faster XP gain rate

b) your covenant power level rises as members level rises

Oh and don't worry you get full XP for quests and the member gets even more depending on how much lower his/her level is than the quest's level

Yeah, you're right. I tried soloing a while with my warrior last night, and the going sure was slow. I was finding it hard to justify not having a sidekick, even if the exp points per kill were better...

As for you second point, again you're right, however I have a rather lazy style of play wherby I just tend to adventure with my most effective recruit (or other covenant leaders) and replace my lower level recruits with higher level ones as they become available. I very rarely micromanage their equipment either.:o

Rexferitus
12-17-2007, 04:45 AM
As long as you have fun playing the game it's ok :)

I currently play with a level 15 warrior with a level 14 warrior sidekick (who was level 5 when I accepted him into the covenant :))

JohnCataldo
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Of my four characters (one of each class) only the priest seems weak for her level. I doubt that she'd get very far by herself - but mage, warrior and rogue should all be able to solo somewhat effectively. Thanks for the info!:D

I'd often thought that Priests were best suited for soloing! They can heal themselves, and (depending on what you want) can melee or deal magical damage, so they can handle a variety of monsters reasonably well. And getting back faith quickly is easier and free-er than health or mana.

Of course, anyone can just carry around potions and whatnot, but that's upkeep. =]

That said, killing enemies twice as fast certainly justifies getting 75% as much per kill.

SamMcMackin
01-11-2008, 08:37 PM
What kind of xp do you get for killing covenants? How is it shared with your party members?

StealthBunny
01-12-2008, 12:50 PM
ok... so forgive me for being completely math and formula ... um... lost... but can someone put this in non-programming terms for me? Do you earn more XP faster for traveling with a recruit who has a lower lvl or higher lvl than you do?

Delve
01-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I think the general rule is, you'll get the same experience regardless of your recruit's level but the recruit will get more experience if it's lower level.

If you don't travel with a recruit you'll get more experience per monster, but you probably won't be able to kill as many.

Shadow
01-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Killing a barbarian from a different covenant gives you experience just like killing a monster (same amount on average and same split formula) except you are likely to have a smaller share. Now destroying the actual covenant doesn't give you any experience.

Delve is correct that your recruit's level doesn't effect your part of the experience split just his or her own.

(name here)
01-12-2008, 04:40 PM
so, basically, both combatents get 75% of their base XP?