PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes and NPCs

pnakotus
01-22-2011, 11:37 PM
I have a town now where a tornado has dropped directly on top of the warmaster. I've gone up top and it's just sitting there, and so is he. He's doing ok right now due to his, but he'll eventually die.

Is there anything I can do? Can NPCs be made to avoid tornadoes, so that they add NPC healing costs and morale business without being trivial death? Can they have minimum speeds?

Perhaps if tornadoes had a wide area attack of low power (to represent debris, maybe adjusted in radius or pulsing when it passes over objects like houses) and a middle zone of much higher damage (or physics them into walls etc) it would be less a deathtrap for all NPCs. As it stands it appears I am basically doomed to lose this town due to a stationary tornado and Warmaster with boots nailed to the ground. :)

Roswitha
01-23-2011, 01:41 AM
See if you can switch places with him such that he gets out of the tornado?

pnakotus
01-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Well yeah, but surely it's a bit daft that NPCs just stand there in the middle of a tornado for a few minutes until death? :V

udm
01-23-2011, 11:27 AM
I like how tornadoes (apparently) don't come in single units, but accumulate over time, but yeah I think that NPCs should leg it in the presence of a tornado. It could be fun when NPCs become snared into a corner by multiple tornadoes and have nowhere else to run, then die.

abomination5
01-23-2011, 12:59 PM
I like that tornados are dangerous now. It doesn't make too much sense for NPCs to stand still in one but if they just move away the tornados will become trival. If NPCs are made to run away the tornados should be able to move as well!

Max_Powers
01-23-2011, 01:08 PM
The tornadoes are based on the tornado spell. It has a 'hold the affected in place for 5 seconds' ability. If you think of this logically, yes, if you are inside the effect of a tornado you would not be going anywhere. I can't imagine someone running around inside a tornado, so no, I don't think they should be able to run out.

I agree that they should run away if possible. The only way an NPC should get caught in a tornado is if the tornado moves really fast(or NPC moves really slow) or if the tornado spawn right on/near them. If making tornadoes move is not an option, maybe just reduce how powerful they are. Maybe that would make it more survivable for the NPCs(at least for now, maybe the tornadoes could be made to move in the future).

Love the addition of the tornadoes, btw. Also love the snow :)

Bluddy
01-23-2011, 01:43 PM
IMHO tornadoes should be extremely rare and short, since you can't do anything about them. They would be a nice surprise for the higher levels.

Max_Powers
01-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Ok, after checking, tornadoes do move around some.

Also, I had a great idea to solve/alter this issue - couldn't a tornado cause fear to the NPC making them run away from it?

pnakotus
01-23-2011, 04:08 PM
I like that tornados are dangerous now. It doesn't make too much sense for NPCs to stand still in one but if they just move away the tornados will become trival. If NPCs are made to run away the tornados should be able to move as well!

It should be a bit more random than 'lol I got you, you are dead'. Changing the way it applies damage to wider but less predictable; as it is, 99% of tornadoes are totally meaningless and ignorable, but the others are game-ending in 30 seconds. This is not so good.

udm
01-24-2011, 12:59 AM
IMHO tornadoes should be extremely rare and short, since you can't do anything about them. They would be a nice surprise for the higher levels.
It would also be a nice effect, though more for aesthetics than serving any real purpose, for tornadoes to completely rip apart houses. Or, perhaps when that happens, it would drive the NPCs on edge and make them more hostile towards one another. Maybe it might even encourage more monsters to take this opportunity to invade the town.