PDA

View Full Version : Mining

Bluddy
01-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Aaargh! Why does everybody want me to mine for them? 10 people are going around town asking me to mine. I know it's optional, but it's still annoying...

Also, when a fight breaks out, the text descriptions easily fill up a good portion of the screen (fight start, fight ends, fight starts...)

Bluddy
01-25-2011, 01:54 AM
This isn't really worthy of another thread, but I noticed this before: when you start a new character, the first town with very low level creatures is super-easy. 1-2 hits kill everyone, and monsters can barely touch you, especially if you're a melee character. This doesn't really give a typical feel of DC which isn't great for new players, but even worse is the fact that when picking your next town, you think "oh I could easily take a town one level higher since that was so easy". If you do so, however, the very first creatures in the 2nd town will probably proceed to kick your butt. This isn't a good experience for a new player, who might get too frustrated with the inconsistent difficulty curve at this point.

I'm not sure which part of the formulas causes this experience, but I remember having it when I started my first characters.

Bluddy
01-25-2011, 03:26 AM
Suggestions for improving the things I mentioned in the first post:
- Only 1 or 2 mining quests should show up in town. I understand this was a mining town, and everyone wanted to mine, but still... it got ridiculous.
- Regarding fights: a 1 vs 1 fight should be mentioned explicitly in the log, but when more people join the fight, the message should just be 'the fight in town has gotten bigger', with the final message being 'the fighting in town has stopped'. Actually, even better would be a small flashing icon indicating town infighting, which you can highlight to get details of who's in the fight. It should be very distinguishable from the town invasion icon.

udm
01-25-2011, 09:38 AM
This isn't really worthy of another thread, but I noticed this before: when you start a new character, the first town with very low level creatures is super-easy. 1-2 hits kill everyone, and monsters can barely touch you, especially if you're a melee character. This doesn't really give a typical feel of DC which isn't great for new players, but even worse is the fact that when picking your next town, you think "oh I could easily take a town one level higher since that was so easy". If you do so, however, the very first creatures in the 2nd town will probably proceed to kick your butt. This isn't a good experience for a new player, who might get too frustrated with the inconsistent difficulty curve at this point.

I'm not sure which part of the formulas causes this experience, but I remember having it when I started my first characters.
Quite similar to my complaint of poison too: some features don't scale well. I'm not really having much of a problem with this though, as most of my characters can still 1-hit KO monsters even on high level worlds, but I can imagine how certain builds that don't focus on DPS may have a problem with this.

Also, Steven I think you should take a look at monster-to-monster damage. At higher levels, monsters seem to take forever to kill each other.

Bluddy
01-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Maybe the default first town should be a level higher than it is now, just to up the challenge a bit and keep the difficulty curve smoother.

Bak
01-25-2011, 02:13 PM
First town should be easy, to get newbies comfortable.

For people that have played more than once, it is easy to ramp up the difficulty (chose fast with level 4, for example).

Bluddy
01-25-2011, 02:54 PM
My point is (as I stated above) the first town is *too* easy. A new user would find it very easy, then proceed to the next town and raise the difficulty because he thinks otherwise there's no challenge. He'll then most likely get walloped. This happened to me twice when starting new characters (and I only have 4 characters in total).