PDA

View Full Version : Modding dungeon layout

Maledictus
01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi all,

Before I get to work looking in the GDB files, is it possible to change the randomization stuff in the dungeon generator in such a way that dungeons will still be random but become linear? The idea is to have dungeons that have a starting point and an ending point so the player would have to trek through it, from a to z so to speak, to create a more linear approach to dungeon crawling (a bit like Torchlight, if you will). The area in between start and end would still be created randomly. Can this be achieved by modding the DC dungeon stuff? Thanks for any info.

Shadow
01-27-2011, 10:50 AM
There isn't a way that I can think of to force a starting and ending point.

Maledictus
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Alright, thanks.

Maledictus
02-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Something else that came to mind:
Now with the expansion it takes longer for a town to be saved, and I sometimes take a few evenings to get through one. With that in mind the dungeons get a bit repetitive; slogging through 15 levels that look more or less the same can be a bit dull. Is it possible to do something like having different dungeon types every x levels? There must be dungeon types that 'go together' so to speak, and it would certainly help immersion. Is that something that I can mod myself? Or perhaps an idea for the game itself?

Bluddy
02-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Something else that came to mind:
Now with the expansion it takes longer for a town to be saved, and I sometimes take a few evenings to get through one. With that in mind the dungeons get a bit repetitive; slogging through 15 levels that look more or less the same can be a bit dull. Is it possible to do something like having different dungeon types every x levels? There must be dungeon types that 'go together' so to speak, and it would certainly help immersion. Is that something that I can mod myself? Or perhaps an idea for the game itself?

I second this suggestion. The down side is that we'll go through dungeon types faster, but I think it's worth it. This is one of the advantages DoP has over DC: within the same game, every area looks somewhat different.

Maledictus
02-21-2011, 09:51 AM
The down side is that we'll go through dungeon types faster

I don't think that's an issue. The randomization means that the different types, if they pop up often, will most likely not be in the same dungeon-depth location (order) anyway. And, because of the randomization, it's possible that one or more dungeon types never show up at all for a player. This is especially true if you play slow pace, like me. I get 2 or 3 dungeon types a week, if I play regularly. Having different dungeon types in one town will certainly make me feel more willing to get underground. And it makes the bigger dungeons (15 levels or so) much more valid. Like in diablo 1... (though that wasn't random, as far as the order goes)

Crisses
02-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Like in diablo 1... (though that wasn't random, as far as the order goes)

OMG, I'm not the only person here old enough to have played Diablo 1 :) hahaha

Shadow
02-21-2011, 02:27 PM
I think right now you would need programming support, but I'm not positive.

Maledictus
02-22-2011, 07:21 PM
I'll have a look, but that was indeed what I expected. No biggy.

OMG, I'm not the only person here old enough to have played Diablo 1 :) hahaha

Match this: my first game (bought and finished) was 'Inca' for the Philips MSX. Took half an hour to load. First PC game was Microprose's F117A. O, how mesmorizing all that was...

On a sidenote: Shadow, are you by any chance left-handed?

Shadow
02-22-2011, 07:48 PM
On a sidenote: Shadow, are you by any chance left-handed?

No, why do you ask?

Crisses
02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Match this: my first game (bought and finished) was 'Inca' for the Philips MSX. Took half an hour to load. First PC game was Microprose's F117A. O, how mesmorizing all that was...

I promise I'll lose if it's a p*nis contest :) I'm not that much of a tomboy.

Pong. It came with the Atari. In the 70s. "RPG": Adventure. Damned hungry dragons and color-coded keys. Could only pick up 1 thing at a time -- a key or a sword. Talk about tough. By the time you were playing Inca, I was playing basic D&D and shoplifting AD&D books from ToysRUs...Oh did I say that? It took me a while to graduate to having a PC. I think there was Might & Magic by then. I had a C-64 before then -- Hitchhikers' Guide & swapping floppies....never made it much past the bulldozers.

Anyway, on the thread: I like the idea of some variety in the dungeons under a single town -- more ability to use visual memory. It took me until a couple days ago to realize I could access maps & town map while on another level. Big duh moment. I like that. I had no idea. Probably was in one of those help screens I dismissed a long time ago :)

Maledictus
02-23-2011, 09:44 AM
No, why do you ask?
It struck me that a few interface features in DC are oriented right to left; I found myself having to actually look for the 'Ok' button on many occasions when I started out playing DC. In Windows it's common to have the 'final' button (like 'ok' or 'close') on the far right. On some screens in DC this is not the case. That made me think you might be left-handed. Turns out I'm not much of a sleuth then. Please note this isn't a complaint or anything, just something that jumped out at me. As I said elsewhere, I'm a tad OCD'ish.

I promise I'll lose if it's a p*nis contest I'm not that much of a tomboy
Yeah, sorry about that, I didn't mean it like that. Though you do actually win :)

Crisses
02-23-2011, 10:17 AM
It struck me that a few interface features in DC are oriented right to left; I found myself having to actually look for the 'Ok' button on many occasions when I started out playing DC. In Windows it's common to have the 'final' button (like 'ok' or 'close') on the far right. On some screens in DC this is not the case. That made me think you might be left-handed. Turns out I'm not much of a sleuth then. Please note this isn't a complaint or anything, just something that jumped out at me. As I said elsewhere, I'm a tad OCD'ish.

I've wondered the same thing. It's the same on the Mac -- most OK buttons are on the right, closer to the mouse hand. Din's Curse in-joke I guess: "Made you think!"

Yeah, sorry about that, I didn't mean it like that. Though you do actually win :)

It's OK -- I just like ragging on the RPG crowd -- 2nd in testosterone only to a steroid-popping grunting weight-dropping gym. :) I usually let the "Hey, dude"s slide in multiplayer chat. :)

Shadow
02-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Every time I look for examples in Windows, Ok is on the left and Cancel is on the right (or Yes/No or Save/Cancel). I've just tried to be consistent with Windows. On Macs it's the opposite way.

Maledictus
02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
I've looked at some apps and it seems you are right. I can't think of why I thought the 'Ok' on the right in the first place... Must be coming from the games I play, or from apps I use that don't conform. Or maybe a general idea that continue buttons should be on the right side of the screen. Sorry 'bout that.

Shadow
02-23-2011, 03:07 PM
I've looked at some apps and it seems you are right. I can't think of why I thought the 'Ok' on the right in the first place... Must be coming from the games I play, or from apps I use that don't conform. Or maybe a general idea that continue buttons should be on the right side of the screen. Sorry 'bout that.

Well Apple would agree that Windows is backwards.