PDA

View Full Version : Ranger class suggestions

Nobear
01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
The ranger is fun, but definitely harder than the ice mage so far (level 22). Here are some improvements I'd like to see:

1) An option to just drop a trap directly under my character's feet. Some people would probably prefer it the current way, but I find it hard to aim while I'm moving around in the heat of battle. If I have the advantage of surprise on the enemy, I can stand still and place it exactly where I want; but when I'm kiting enemies, half the time I throw the trap behind them even when I'm paying attention to my aim. This is especially true if I set an Immolation and Freezing trap in rapid succession. Sometimes my first trap will be placed well and the second won't be anywhere near. It might just be that I'm relatively new, so suggestions on how to improve would be helpful too, but I still think an interface option or even a toggle key to change it to drop directly beneath the character's feet would be helpful. The toggle key especially so, since that way I could still launch traps to set barrels on fire and stuff.

Alternately (or in addition), if you have an enemy targeted when you drop a trap, have it launch at that enemy's hitbox instead of the exact place your mouse cursor is pointing.

2) It would be nice if Bow Attack would automatically find the closest enemy in sight when I held it down, if there isn't one targeted already. It would make the "drive by shooting" playstyle that much more natural.

3) Either it's my (lack of) skill, or Multishot seems useless as it is. The arrows spread wide in a pattern that is rarely aligned with three targets, since I prefer to keep my distance from enemies. It would be nice if Multishot instead found the next two closest enemies from the one I'm targeting, so it actually hits 3 targets reliably.

Note: I have yet to try Earthquake, so that may be the AOE I'm looking for.

DeathKnight1728
01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Ive used the hunter a bit and the best advice is to maximize the skill light touch. This is what allows you to not have to be running everywhere away from everyone. The ranger is kind of like the ranged version of the rogue due to this and traps. Icetrap and mastery is essential though you dont need the mastery until later levels when it matters. The reasoning behind light touch is that unlike stealth, it is always active and will save your butt in many scenarios. The good thing is that you dont need to invest past 40%-50 escape notice which helps make this an easy skill to pump points and forget. With light touch you will be able to learn through trial and error which spots to place your traps. Without it you will alert more monsters and be more on the run.

That is the best advice for a new ranger. The 2nd piece of advice is to instead of letting you go to them, let them come to you. Remember most real life rangers hunt prey not by being the aggressor, they use their opponents energy and tactics against them. With 2 ice traps set and a good ranged attack and bow, you should have no problem with anything. And if you get good at placing traps try the net one, saved me quite a few times. The last real thing to remember is when running away from monsters, place the traps at least 5-10 paces from where you are running to.

Edit-I almost forgot to mention that there are a few skills you will be able to choose from for attacks. Poison arrow is an ok choice, lightning shot is really good too but i prefer serrated arrow because it gives so much and for so little mana. Ive never used multishot so i wouldnt know. Some like it, some dont.

Nobear
01-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will try escape notice. (btw it's funny how negative numbers improve escape notice and positive numbers make it worse. Now I understand why the Krall Mark is bad for rangers. Might want to change that to make more sense Shadow.)

I tried totally speccing out of traps and into Earthquake, and man is it terribad at low levels. It does next to no damage, I can't do anything else while I'm constipating myself to make an earthquake happen, and it makes rocks fall on my head. I guess the falling rocks part makes sense but jeeze, seems like the damage should go up to compensate. I can see putting one point into it for the AOE silence utility though for when I'm fighting dark elf diviners.

What do you mean by placing traps 5-10 paces from where you are running to? Do you mean place them in front of me so that I eventually run to where I threw them?

abomination5
01-26-2011, 11:26 PM
I haven't played my ranger much since the expansion but this is what I remember:

1. Serrated arrow gave me enough damage to one shot almost anything at high levels. No other damage skills are needed.

2. Net trap is amazing although annoying to aim at times. It can stun for a decent amount of time in a pretty large radius without costing too many skill points.

Summary: Hunter is awesome, the other trees suck. Might as well make a hybrid hunter/something else. Preferably something that adds survivability since serrated arrow covers damage.

Nobear
01-27-2011, 12:59 AM
Cool. Hey how long does Earthquake's AOE silence last?

Bluddy
01-27-2011, 04:25 AM
I should really try a ranger class out, but many of the reviews of DC said that the traps function essentially as grenades. While I have no problem with a class using grenades, that's not the way I picture the ranger class and the way traps should be. In my mind, traps should take time to set up and should cause a LOT of damage relatively. The ranger would then have a unique method of combat: he takes over a clear area of the dungeon, sets up his traps, and then lures the monsters to come over by pelting them with arrows.

Chumpy
01-27-2011, 05:24 AM
You can layer traps on top of one another before they disappear.

Nobear
01-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Bluddy, you can actually use traps either as grenades or exactly how you're talking about. You throw your trap wherever your mouse is pointing, so if it's pointing directly below your character's feet then it essentially sets the trap in a traditional way. It acts as a trap, unless it hits an enemy or object, and then it explodes on impact. You have up to 3 trap types, each with a 5 sec cooldown and lasting 15 sec, so you can lay down several at once. Lately I'm really enjoying setting all 3 down, which brings enemies to a halting stop, does a ton of AOE damage and also leaves a lingering slow effect. Not as OP as holding down the "I win" button as a frost mage (Shatter) but it's fun.

Note to Shadow: After playing more (level 44) I still would love a toggle key to be introduced to toggle between grenade mode and trap mode. Throwing traps is occasionally useful i.e. to light barrels on fire, but most of the time I'd rather have them drop right beneath my feet and not have to aim so precisely. It would let me focus on the strategy element.

Roswitha
01-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I haven't played as a ranger much. Can you set off or be injured by your own traps?

Bak
01-27-2011, 11:32 AM
I haven't played as a ranger much. Can you set off or be injured by your own traps?

No.
But if your fire trap causes a roomful of barrels to explode, that will be a problem. ;)

DeathKnight1728
01-27-2011, 11:51 AM
What do you mean by placing traps 5-10 paces from where you are running to? Do you mean place them in front of me so that I eventually run to where I threw them?

What i mean is that you should try and place the traps at least 5 walking/running spaces in front of you and more the faster your movement speed is. Spaces equal how many steps you take. The amount of steps is going to be difficult to measure unless you experiment with it.

Nobear
01-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Got it. As I've gotten more skilled with traps, I've found myself doing just as you describe. At my current skill level, I personally no longer desire my 1st and 2nd requests, though the ranger has the steepest learning curve of any class I've tried so far IMHO (which is all but Conjurer and Demon Hunter). It seems really underpowered until you get the right gear and skill, and then it's really nice. There are some unique things you can do with it to surprise your enemies. I still think Multishot should auto-aquire targets 2 and 3, though perhaps if I had been playing all along with it I would have developed enough skill to use it effectively too, I don't know.

There's one other suggestion I'd like to make for the ranger class. At high level, where you frequently get ambushed by large packs of um... ambushing broods and the like, Lure seems like a great skill to have. However, I tried speccing into it and it was going to take an insane amount of ranks to make work with level 102 monsters, requiring far more points than I have invested in any other skill. Honestly, it should require about half the ranks it does to be worth it.

Nomad_Soul
02-01-2011, 02:54 AM
I agree with tweaking multishot a bit. From my own experiments with it, it seems more like a close quarters ability, functioning like a "shotgun" blast at best. The spread of the shots make it a questionable and inefficient ability for any sort of distance work. Of course, distance work is kind of the point to the ranger (archer).

Tightening up the "spread" or "cone" of the shots might be interesting too, if auto target acquisition wasn't desired.

Arjun123
02-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I like the idea of making multishot a cone attack. As it is, it doesn't seem very effective. Auto-targeting would be nice, but it might be even better to make it a focused cone attack, so that the ranger could fire at a group of targets and hit all or most of them. This would be very effective for this class, since the monsters being hunted typically gang up on each other or on the hapless vendors and townsfolk who make the foolish mistake of wandering alone in the dungeons!