PDA

View Full Version : Niche Market, Niche World- What Will the Kindle Change?

Delilah Rehm
12-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Large bookstores and retailers tend to stock what appeals to the masses (mass marketing) and therefore get the most returns on the investment. This is a not so great thing for any interests that arenít of mass appeal. If you draw what the sales look like as a wave, the swell is where bookstores look. They ignore the bits after the swell, the bits that look like a long tail.

Amazon found its own niche in the long tail. Iíve heard itís half of their sales. In fact, the internet world in general panders to niche markets and interests, and with the Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Device/dp/B000FI73MA) not only coming out but being sold out, Iím wondering where the world is going.

In ninth grade history class, we had to come up with an invention, and the Kindle was mine, but of course, I didnít call it the Kindle. I dreamed of the day I could make any book portable and fit in my coat pocket. An electronic reader was my, Iíd rather call it idea than invention. I didnít do more than draw an example on a poster board. Iím really glad someone put the effort and energy into making it happen and bringing the Kindle to market. No, they didnít steal it from me. Iím not the only one whoíd thought of an electronic reader, and I doubt this will be the only version on the market for long.

I foresee a world with strong niche markets, where itís easier to make a living doing what you love. When what you love isnít everyone elseís cup of tea, youíll still have an outlet to get to those who like your particular tea. I think itís going to be a victory for most people in creative fields.