PDA

View Full Version : ToME4

Caal
01-29-2011, 07:46 PM
ToME4 (Tales of Maj'Eyal) is a roguelike, but is very interesting. The author has diverged somewhat from the standard the roguelike genre , for example, several of the advanced character classes need to be unlocked in order to play them via quests or achievements. There are no potions or scrolls, no eating requirements, and after an early quest, most items are auto-ID'd, so the player can concentrate on tactical combat and how to best use skills and not item management. There are also four difficulty modes, two of which include some ability to resurrect and take less damage, which allows new players to get a good feel for the game without the difficulty and permadeath of most roguelikes. The other two modes are normal roguelike (no advantages and permadeath) and insane, for the masochists.

Even without the advanced classes, there are many character types to play, and each one has a fairly extensive skill system to develop from.

There are tiles for graphics (still in development) as well as ascii. Although still in beta (beta 19 was just recently released) it is very playable and IMO a lot of fun. I think that anyone looking for an interesting, newbie-friendly, turn-based RPG might want to check this out.

http://te4.org/

Amberjoy
01-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Well, I looked at the screen shots and downloaded what I thought was the game but it ended up being..I think..the engine the program runs on. Where is the game? How do I get it going for a Mac? It looked interesting. :confused:

Caal
01-30-2011, 01:05 AM
I don't have a Mac but there is a download link for Mac OSX which looks like it includes the game. At the "New Game" screen the line for ToME should already be highlighted.

Amberjoy
01-30-2011, 06:16 PM
I finally got my son to check on things and apparently it is intel only for the Mac. I didn't see any mention of that on site.

Caal, I don't have a Mac but there is a download link for Mac OSX which looks like it includes the game. At the "New Game" screen the line for ToME should already be highlighted.

I didn't see anything anywhere I could 'click' that said 'New Game" by the way. I'll port over what I did download to my laptop later today and see what happenes.

edit: Okay, it works alright on my laptop. I'll have to try to play it tomorrow when I'm more awake. Had a bad night last night and can't think very well today. The tutoral got to be too much for me. sigh. Yawn! :)

Manumitted
01-31-2011, 12:46 AM
edit: Okay, it works alright on my laptop. I'll have to try to play it tomorrow when I'm more awake. Had a bad night last night and can't think very well today. The tutoral got to be too much for me. sigh. Yawn! :)

I don't know how much experience you have with roguelikes, but constant death, failure, and frustration are their main characteristics. I can rarely play a roguelike for more than an hour or two before putting it aside in disgust. Some geeks like losing a game 1,000+ times before ever winning. I ain't one of them.

This one sounds fairly lenient by genre standards, but it's still likely to be a hard slog.

Amberjoy
01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't know how much experience you have with roguelikes, but constant death, failure, and frustration are their main characteristics. I can rarely play a roguelike for more than an hour or two before putting it aside in disgust. Some geeks like losing a game 1,000+ times before ever winning. I ain't one of them.

This one sounds fairly lenient by genre standards, but it's still likely to be a hard slog.

Yeah, I don't play them anymore for that reason along with carpal tunnel appearing after an hour of clicking. :( I used to play them all the time as I couldn't find rpg time-based games for the computer I was using at the time (Amiga) and when we got the Mac I was able to find a few to use up my time. ;) Still, it's a change of pace from playing Romi/solitaire and other card games. And of course Din's Curse and Escalon: Book II. :D

Amberjoy
02-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Okay, I've tried and tried to figure things out and also checked Google and the forum (not that much) How do you sell stuff?????!!!! The game I started out has me near a halfling village with stores and houses. I can get into the stores to buy stuff (not much, little money) :( but none of the stuff I found in the nearby dungeon shows up on the inventory list except for a black agate. That I could sell but weapons and armour, even real cheap ones. No go. :( ANd no place to stash the stuff, like a house!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad: HELP!

TheRani
02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Okay, I've tried and tried to figure things out and also checked Google and the forum (not that much) How do you sell stuff?????!!!! The game I started out has me near a halfling village with stores and houses. I can get into the stores to buy stuff (not much, little money) :( but none of the stuff I found in the nearby dungeon shows up on the inventory list except for a black agate. That I could sell but weapons and armour, even real cheap ones. No go. :( ANd no place to stash the stuff, like a house!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad: HELP!

In b19, the only items shops will buy from you are gems and artifacts (yellow or orange objects). Money does start out a bit tight, but later you end up with plenty of gems and unneeded artifacts to sell. Also, there is a quest you can do that gives you a house. The Old Forest eventually leads you to the place where the house is. That quest is much easier to do once you have some means of water breathing, but it's possible to do without.

Amberjoy
02-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Okay, thanks. And thanks for the tip on water breathing and where house might be. :)

Manumitted
02-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I don't play them anymore for that reason along with carpal tunnel appearing after an hour of clicking. :( I used to play them all the time as I couldn't find rpg time-based games for the computer I was using at the time (Amiga) and when we got the Mac I was able to find a few to use up my time. ;) Still, it's a change of pace from playing Romi/solitaire and other card games. And of course Din's Curse and Escalon: Book II. :D

Most "real" roguelikes like Nethack are turn-based, so carpal tunnel isn't much of an issue. Diablo and Din's are like real-time roguelikes, and they will wear out a mouse or a hand. Not so much with Din's, thanks to most characters having some sort of crowd control. I don't know that I could go back to clicking each mob multiple times like I had to do in Diablo.

Amberjoy
02-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Most "real" roguelikes like Nethack are turn-based, so carpal tunnel isn't much of an issue. Diablo and Din's are like real-time roguelikes, and they will wear out a mouse or a hand. Not so much with Din's, thanks to most characters having some sort of crowd control. I don't know that I could go back to clicking each mob multiple times like I had to do in Diablo.

I had to quit last night because my wrist was starting to ache, I was in the Trollmire. Hitting those 150hp trolls with 5-8 points of damage over and over did me in. :( I had just gotten to the last screen, I think, where a building wall showed up. I figured the building would be full of trolls so I decided to wait till today to go for a look-see.

TheRani
02-04-2011, 12:16 AM
I had to quit last night because my wrist was starting to ache, I was in the Trollmire. Hitting those 150hp trolls with 5-8 points of damage over and over did me in. :( I had just gotten to the last screen, I think, where a building wall showed up. I figured the building would be full of trolls so I decided to wait till today to go for a look-see.

When you're first starting out, you normally have around 10gp in starting money. It's not a bad idea to leave the Trollmire and check the shops in Derth for a better quality weapon. If you have an iron weapon, look for a steel one. If you have a rough leather weapon, look for a cured leather weapon. If you have an elm weapon, look for an ash weapon. 10 gp should cover it. You'd hit a good bit harder.

caldazar
02-04-2011, 02:38 PM
glad you posted about this - I'll be sure to check it out once I have a chance. Permadeath has always been a showstopper for me to really enjoy roguelikes.

Amberjoy
02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
When you're first starting out, you normally have around 10gp in starting money. It's not a bad idea to leave the Trollmire and check the shops in Derth for a better quality weapon. If you have an iron weapon, look for a steel one. If you have a rough leather weapon, look for a cured leather weapon. If you have an elm weapon, look for an ash weapon. 10 gp should cover it. You'd hit a good bit harder.

I discovered that town early and kept going back to get stuff identified (until I got the scry item) and did up weapon and armor. That character I was complaining about got killed in the final level of the Trollmire by guess who?! :) I made the mistake of clicking on wrong choice instead of use resurrect option and ended up at first level again. That was my 'learn' character anyway, so made up a new character and trying with her. She can hit harder and has better armor but still leery of getting the two bad guys in the starter dungeons. On one trip back to town a new Elven Ruins dungeon popped up. Went in out of curiosity and took a look at the stats of the enemy and immediatly popped back out! :D I've got my new character up to level 5 and searching through Trollmire after going to most of the levels in the other one. Using 'Discovery' option. I like the Troll poem. :D

Caal
02-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Beta 20 is now out, although not for Mac yet (sorry Amber :()

Amberjoy
02-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Beta 20 is now out, although not for Mac yet (sorry Amber :()

Hey, that's okay. Now that I've had a bit of experience I'm enjoying it more. Got my second character up to level 11! did Trollmire, the other dungeon, a bandit trap (merchant disappeared but got credit anyway), and am now in the ancient elf forest (I think that's what its called), did a bit of exploring and found 3 other towns, and an apprentice mage looking for stuff. Man those Honeytrees are a bear to kill, not to mention the bees in their bonnets...:D Still haven't found a place to stash or sell stuff, though I did find where I could recharge wands. Oh, did the Arena beginner thingy too. Phew! There's a lot of stuff to do!

TheRani
02-06-2011, 05:55 AM
The quest for the house is not that easy anyway. There's a boss in it that you have to kill before you can actually use the house. Usually I don't do that quest until my character is close to level 20. When I try to do it too early, they die.

Amberjoy
02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
The quest for the house is not that easy anyway. There's a boss in it that you have to kill before you can actually use the house. Usually I don't do that quest until my character is close to level 20. When I try to do it too early, they die.

Well, I'm level 18 at the moment and trying to figure out how to do the sandworm-desert quest. The sand keeps falling on top of me and I sufficate! I know I have to wait around to find a cap of water breathing to go into the lake from a previous character.

How do I survive in the sand??? Go back to the Trollmire and kill off the spawn? again and again? Thanks. I tried looking on the forum but no answer and haven't gotten around to registering yet. Still have halfling, dark cloud over Derth town and another one I think are too high level to survive yet.
Any help appreciated. :)

Jorlen
02-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this game, I hadn't heard of it before reading this thread.

It was late last night, got through the tutorial, but so far it feels very well done. Looking forward to playing it some more.

Roswitha
02-16-2011, 11:02 AM
I checked out the game after hearing about it on this thread. It's a lot of fun.
Here's a trick that might be useful at some point. After getting killed by the Trollmire boss (I still had a life left), I led him all the way across the screen and ducked over to the previous level. Then I rested and came back to the last level. The boss was still there, and still with reduced hit points. Since I was fully charged, I actually managed to kill him. :)

Amberjoy
02-16-2011, 05:22 PM
I checked out the game after hearing about it on this thread. It's a lot of fun.
Here's a trick that might be useful at some point. After getting killed by the Trollmire boss (I still had a life left), I led him all the way across the screen and ducked over to the previous level. Then I rested and came back to the last level. The boss was still there, and still with reduced hit points. Since I was fully charged, I actually managed to kill him. :)

Let me warn you this trick won't work on all the 'quests'. Especially the Sandworm one. I didn't even know I'd killed the boss of that level when I was just trying to follow the 'goodguy' to find the level 'stairs'! Found the boss loot on my way back trying to find the boss from the bottom level. :D

Caal
02-16-2011, 07:06 PM

It's a fairly common technique in roguelikes, called "stair dancing". Quote from Rogue Basin:

"Stair dancing is similar to pillar dancing, in that the player uses the stairs to evade monsters in the dungeon. In games with persistent levels, the PC can be fighting an enemy, become badly wounded, then run up the nearest stairs. Since in most roguelikes, the PC is the only entity that can use the stairs, the enemy cannot follow. The PC then can heal and return to battle the injured enemy. This process can be repeated until the enemy is dead. The effect on game balance is that a monster that would normally be very dangerous for the player, is not very dangerous at all when encountered near stairs. In some games, such as Dungeon Crawl, monsters will follow the player up stairs, preventing stair dancing. In a game with an effective clock, having to retreat to heal up is its own punishment, as either time or some other resource must be spent in order to again face the opponent."

Roswitha
02-16-2011, 08:41 PM
And here I thought I was being tricky. :)

TheRani
02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Well, I'm level 18 at the moment and trying to figure out how to do the sandworm-desert quest. The sand keeps falling on top of me and I sufficate! I know I have to wait around to find a cap of water breathing to go into the lake from a previous character.

How do I survive in the sand??? Go back to the Trollmire and kill off the spawn? again and again? Thanks. I tried looking on the forum but no answer and haven't gotten around to registering yet. Still have halfling, dark cloud over Derth town and another one I think are too high level to survive yet.
Any help appreciated. :)

I don't recommend doing the Sandworm Lair until you are wearing a Rune of Teleportation. Normally I do the first few dungeons in roughly this order: Trollmire, Old Forest (until I get to the lake. Leave that for later), the Maze, Kor'Pul, Sandworm Lair, DaiKara. If I run across some means of water-breathing, I'll do the house quest somewhere between Kor'Pul and Daikara.

When you're in at least the upper teen levels, and you have a means of teleportation (a teleport wand is nice to bring, too, if you have one), you can try the Sandworm lair. Some means of resisting or curing blindness is helpful, too. As soon as you start to suffocate, teleport. It will normally bring you to a better place, more often than not. If it doesn't, that's when the wand comes in handy. I normally handle the sandworm lair by teleporting over and over until I get to the room with the stairs, and go down. When I get to the last level, I teleport over and over until I find the queen. It's the easiest way, really.

Amberjoy
02-19-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't recommend doing the Sandworm Lair until you are wearing a Rune of Teleportation. Normally I do the first few dungeons in roughly this order: Trollmire, Old Forest (until I get to the lake. Leave that for later), the Maze, Kor'Pul, Sandworm Lair, DaiKara. If I run across some means of water-breathing, I'll do the house quest somewhere between Kor'Pul and Daikara.

Well, I'm up in the mid 20's level now. House quest? Where'd you get that?

I finished the Sandworm and decided to go breath underwater and check around there. Found a teleport room with something that wanted me to stick my Rod of Recall into it. Didn't. Was too leery. Did Dikara and while there found a temporal rift??? thing. Don't know what that was. Ignored it and went down to bottom and killed off boss. Have several other places to go now and don't know which one to take. Haven't finished 'cloud over town' thing yet where the mage colony sends you somewhere. Nor the temporal rift and a couple of others I can't recall at the moment. Hope I didn't miss some of those 'pieces of paper' messages telling me what to do. :(

Roswitha
03-03-2011, 02:02 AM
I'm level 19 now (hurray) and have run into a bit of a quandary. I had finished Daikara and was wandering around to see what I could see. I came across a town called Zigur. It has a quest called the Curse of Magic. If you join their group you can never be corrupted by magic again. They asked if I wanted to join. I said no, and got a Failed quest, so I went and talked to them again, and then picked yes. So they stripped me of all magic and I fought and beat their arena. However, since I had already failed the quest, they didn't accept me into their order, but I now have a permanent antimagic condition so I can't use anything that takes magic (like teleport runes). So I've got the worst of both worlds here.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: He died in the sandworm lair so the question is moot. It occurred to me, too late to actually check, that a pickaxe might be useful there.

Amberjoy
03-03-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm level 19 now (hurray) and have run into a bit of a quandary. I had finished Daikara and was wandering around to see what I could see. I came across a town called Zigur. It has a quest called the Curse of Magic. If you join their group you can never be corrupted by magic again. They asked if I wanted to join. I said no, and got a Failed quest, so I went and talked to them again, and then picked yes. So they stripped me of all magic and I fought and beat their arena. However, since I had already failed the quest, they didn't accept me into their order, but I now have a permanent antimagic condition so I can't use anything that takes magic (like teleport runes). So I've got the worst of both worlds here.

Any suggestions?

I have no idea. I had to stop playing. Wait, I was on their forum the other day and recall someone asking something similar to that. Check there.

caldazar
03-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I am not sure which client to download to play (Windows OS) - any recommendations on which is the most stable/most functional?

Amberjoy
03-04-2011, 04:55 PM
I am not sure which client to download to play (Windows OS) - any recommendations on which is the most stable/most functional?

For PC's I know they did an update but not sure if it's stable. I use Mac, this is the one I used: 'T-engine4-OSX-1.0.0beta.dmg'

It's seems stable enough to me. Like I said, I've had to stop playing it for a while. I'm torn now with so many to play - Din's Curse (reg version, not war), Avadon (Spiderweb) and replaying Escalon: Book 1 :D and of course the one we're talking about here. :)

TheRani
03-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Well, I'm up in the mid 20's level now. House quest? Where'd you get that?

I finished the Sandworm and decided to go breath underwater and check around there. Found a teleport room with something that wanted me to stick my Rod of Recall into it. Didn't. Was too leery. Did Dikara and while there found a temporal rift??? thing. Don't know what that was. Ignored it and went down to bottom and killed off boss. Have several other places to go now and don't know which one to take. Haven't finished 'cloud over town' thing yet where the mage colony sends you somewhere. Nor the temporal rift and a couple of others I can't recall at the moment. Hope I didn't miss some of those 'pieces of paper' messages telling me what to do. :(

Actually, putting the Rod of Recall in the device would have given you the house.

The Temporal Rift takes you to a special area that leads to a quest that gives you the opportunity to fight several bosses, and rewards you with a unique rune that you can't get anywhere else.

If you can handle Daikara, you should be able to handle the "Cloud over town" quest.

There's a command (probably Q) that shows you what quests you need to do. It's helpful when you're not sure what you should do next.

The Antimagic quest was a little buggy for a while there, but I managed to play an antimagic archer the other day with no problems, so it's probably fixed in the latest version (b21). It's available for the Mac from here: http://te4.org/download

Amberjoy
03-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Oh! Thanks. I'll have a look-see after getting download sometime this week. Right now fighting the coughing crud and too weak to play many of the games I have partily done. Even Avadon has had to be put aside. :(

DeathKnight1728
02-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Oh! Thanks. I'll have a look-see after getting download sometime this week. Right now fighting the coughing crud and too weak to play many of the games I have partily done. Even Avadon has had to be put aside. :(

Glad someone got this game to work. This game seems so cool, but ive been unable to even figure out anything with installing it. The download instructions are confusing and ive been unable to even installl it as there is absolutely no install option. Ease of use is out the window.

can anyone explain in simple terms how to install this game? Im pretty dumb with complicating things like this.

TheRani
02-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Glad someone got this game to work. This game seems so cool, but ive been unable to even figure out anything with installing it. The download instructions are confusing and ive been unable to even installl it as there is absolutely no install option. Ease of use is out the window.

can anyone explain in simple terms how to install this game? Im pretty dumb with complicating things like this.

Unzip the folder. Open folder. Double-click the file called t-engine.exe.

Caal
02-07-2012, 07:34 PM

You can also post a note on the te4 forums. The community there is very friendly and helpful.