PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter, and the LY Fiasco

Delilah Rehm
12-17-2007, 02:36 PM
I can’t tell you how many times, within the writing community and at cons, where writers and (more often) hopeful writers diss J.K. Rowling’s writing technique. Never mind that the stories are engaging and surprising. Never mind that the characters are deep and full of life. Never mind that the world is captivating.

She uses words ending in “ly”. Burn her! Burn her now! Seriously! Have these nay-sayers never watched British television? The British people use words ending in “ly” in their everyday conversation. Sometimes when I run across this type of person, I just want to grab them by the shoulders and give them a shake. Just because you don’t talk that way doesn’t make her writing rubbish!

Success is surrounded by envy. I suppose if one can’t complain about anything else, “ly” will do. If she was an American writer, perhaps they’d complain about, oh… I don’t know, the color of her book covers. That’s garish, Rowling, you suck! Interesting colors or not, I’m sure she’s smiling all the way to the bank.