PDA

View Full Version : ver. 1.017 bug: persistent start up crash

RoanokeKeeper
01-30-2011, 01:14 PM
My hybrid hardcore character got killed. I hit <esc>, save & exit, exit
Restarted the game, deleted two old, dead hardcore characters.
Started a new hardcore character, random name, clicked okay.
Create new world, level 0, clicked okay.
I get this error: "DinsCurse.exe has encountered an error and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience."
Restart the computer and repeat with any hardcore character type--I get the same error.
Running with XP SP3. I'm not sure how to continue here. I would prefer not to delete my whole character collection.

RoanokeKeeper
01-30-2011, 10:33 PM
I reinstalled the game from scratch, but got the same error.
I copied 'Local Settings\Application Data\DinsCurse\User\chars' and started with a new chars directory and the game ran fine.
I copied back everything except the global character files and all my characters are available, but global stash and achievements are still reset. The global character files must be corrupt--I attached them. Maybe deleting some of my dead hardcore characters caused the problem.

Caal
01-31-2011, 12:02 AM
I had the same issue last week (although mine was under 1.016) and solved it pretty much exactly the same way you did. I did lose a character (it was a pre-DW character that hadn't been played since 1.010). There may be some unusual circumstance in 1.016-.017 that triggers a save glitch of some sort. I thought in my case that the trigger was the old character, but I really don't know for sure.

Edit: The other thing I thought it might be was I was trying to maintain two installs - one of DC and one of the DW beta, and that some files in the common save folder may have gotten corrupted because of that.

Nim
01-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Has nothing to do with 1.016, this has been in the game for quite some time. It seems that after deleting a dead HC char you have to exit DC and restart it otherwise you might get that bug/corruption.

Shadow
01-31-2011, 05:01 PM
I tracked down the problem. It seems to be an obscure hardcore character dying by a non-monster saving issue which will is fixed in 1.018. It should only be effecting your global.pwl file though, which you can safely delete. This particular file just effects fallen hero type of quests.