PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected save behavior?

Crisses
01-31-2011, 09:19 PM
I saved a single player game, started a multiplayer lan game, my son joined and we played.

He quit the game, I saved & exited, then I went to play single player -- and I was back in the place I was in the multiplayer game. I started multiplayer and loaded the current game, and there was the same game.

So are multi- & single-player games saved separately or not? Do I have to save while at least 1 other player is in the game to have discretely separate single- vs. multiplayer games? Will this always happen if it's the same character?

If I play with that character, will I lose the multiplayer save for the game I was in with my son?

The wording in the menus implies that they're discretely separate games ("Last single player game"), so I wasn't expecting this. Bug or feature? :)

Shadow
02-01-2011, 10:46 AM
In general they are not separate. If you are hosting, there is only 1 world for that character at a time. However, if you are just joining someone else's server your singleplayer world will still exist although you will loose some character specific stuff like gates.

Crisses
02-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Iyou will loose some character specific stuff like gates.

Uh -- is there an abandon penalty for starting a new world when a character who joins a multiplayer goes back to single-player play?

Losing all your gates can be a game-breaker, especially if the bosses have gotten advanced, built several machines, etc. That sounds pretty messy.

When you play a multiplayer game, gates are communal property. Should they be saved on a character-by-character basis or game-by-game basis? This way when you go back to your prior single-player game the gates are activated.

I guess one can install the no-abandon-penalty and start a new world....

Shadow
02-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Uh -- is there an abandon penalty for starting a new world when a character who joins a multiplayer goes back to single-player play?

As of one of the last patches the abandon penalty is turned off unless you are playing hardcore. This may or may not be temporary.

If you are just the client in the multiplayer game, then nothing was abandoned so there wouldn't be a penalty. If you are hosting the game and started a new world, you would get the penalty (if the feature was turned on).