PDA

View Full Version : Savage Lair Graphics for the walls and floor - poll

PixelLord
02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
We've had a complaint about the new graphics for this level. It used to be the level that used to have a purple floor with white (concrete-looking) walls and white, curved spikes coming out of the floor for walls.

We need to know if others dislike these new, darker graphics. If so we can always put it back to the old graphics if that's what most people want. Thanks for your help on this.

Here's a small screenshot of how the newer graphics look below.

Stephen Hornback

Valgor
02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
I've yet to see the "new" Savage Lair... what does it look like?

PixelLord
02-04-2011, 02:07 PM
I've yet to see the "new" Savage Lair... what does it look like?

I've added (above in the initial thread) a small screenshot of the newer graphics. The old had whiteish walls and spikes and a purple floor. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Nobear
02-04-2011, 05:44 PM
It's not the visual style so much as the fact that the textures look lower resolution than those of other dungeons. Are the textures being stretched over a larger area or something?

PixelLord
02-04-2011, 06:02 PM
It's not the visual style so much as the fact that the textures look lower resolution than those of other dungeons. Are the textures being stretched over a larger area or something?

The textures for this level are the same resolution as the textures for the other dungeons. The models (mesh files) for this dungeon's walls are not available anymore. The texture mapping is a bit of the problem, but I'd need the models to fix that.

Nobear
02-04-2011, 06:45 PM
It's just that there's a stark difference in quality to my eye. The old Savage Lair, if I recall correctly, wasn't the best looking but it was at least decent. Certain of the other new environments are very impressive and I like their atmosphere. I forget the name but there's one new one with a tiled floor and eerie music plays which evokes images of rattling bones or scampering insects. The floor texture there has good dynamic color contrast and shows that the place was once luxurious but has a dark history.

Valgor
02-04-2011, 08:04 PM
I think I liked the old graphics better. The new textures are just too... brown for my tastes.

spacehog
02-05-2011, 04:09 AM
No problem with the new look. Suits me just fine.

Bluddy
02-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Any chance of posting the old textures for comparison? I don't remember which dungeon is which.

PixelLord
02-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Since several people didn't care for it (including myself), I decided to completely redo the level with different geometry and new floor textures. It should now more closely match the feel and quality of the rest of the game. Sorry for the dimness of the screenshot, but I had a darkness modifier.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Actually, I just had to change the wall texture to one that's part of the DC package. The one I chose shown in the screenshot was part of the Demon War expansion. It still looks pretty much as it does here except that I added some spike geometry to make it look more "savage?" Anyway, done. Should be in the next build.

Nobear
02-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Nice. It doesn't really look savage any more, but it does look way better and as you say, matches the rest of the game better.

fiesher
02-06-2011, 01:58 AM
Woot the flooring's design looks great :)~