PDA

View Full Version : special items at vendor/talk

tacitus
02-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but it use to be people would say <vendor> has <super special item> and then you would go to the vendor and he would have the item (usually). Every time I have checked on an item after hearing a rumor, the vendor does not have the item. I also haven't noticed any "special" items at vendors.

Max_Powers
02-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Not sure if it has gotten worse or not, but this has been around for a while now. I once encountered Dane the Weaponsmith that told me that Dane the Weaponsmith was selling <badass item> , only to find that Dane the Weaponsmith didn't have said item for sell(and I am certain that was the only Dane). Wrap your head around that one :D

Manumitted
02-05-2011, 05:54 PM
That bug is longstanding. I seem to see it less with higher-level characters.

As far as the number of uniques at vendors goes, one of the always-hidden possible town characteristics seems to be Many/Few Uniques. In one town, I got half a dozen uniques in that character's first 10 minutes of existence. In another town, no uniques showed up through 5 hours of constant merchant perusal and dunjon clearing.

The bug doesn't matter too much. You'll find far more uniques than you'll buy, and most uniques aren't all that desirable anyway.

Valgor
02-05-2011, 08:59 PM
At the end of the day, all talk about vendors selling unique items boils down to just rumors and town gossip,
so maybe it's intended that there's a chance the item in question doesn't show up in the supposed sellers's inventory.

At least, that's how I see it...

tacitus
02-05-2011, 09:10 PM
The bug doesn't matter too much. You'll find far more uniques than you'll buy, and most uniques aren't all that desirable anyway.
Actually I was more concerned about the rumors being incorrect. It doesn't make a big difference either, but I know it use to work. (I last played around thanksgiving - pre DW of course)

tacitus
02-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Finally a travelling vendor has an item that matched the rumor. A ring showed up.

Shadow
02-07-2011, 11:14 AM
What happens is when they decide to tell you about the item, it is true. When they actually have a chance to tell you about the item, it might be gone.