PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence and magic skill damage

Valgor
02-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I've always wondered why Intelligence doesn't provide a damage bonus to magical attacks...
All it does for pure magic users is increase their maximum mana and give some basic amount of mana regen.
Beyond that, you might as well invest in Spirit, since it also increases max mana and ups elemental resistance to boot.

How about +0.25% magic skill damage/point of Intelligence?
It wouldn't make magic uber-powerful or render the various mastery skills obsolete, but it would act as additional incentive for magic users
to spend stat points on Intelligence and try to raise it as high as possible with the help of items.

Bak
02-06-2011, 10:12 AM
INT already increases the chances to get a critical hit, which doubles the damage.

Valgor
02-06-2011, 01:01 PM
It's only a chance, and a very slim one at that.
I have a character with 400+ Intelligence, and his critical hit chance is somewhere around 50%, boni from skills (Lightning Mastery) and items included.
The damage from his critical hits isn't all that impressive, either.

Compare that to a melee character who receives over 200% critical hit chance from items alone, without a single point put into Intelligence...
and he's a much lower level than the above-mentioned magic user.

Baki
02-06-2011, 05:42 PM
those 200% are based on int.

if your int gives you 50% and you get an item with +100% crit your crit rate will raise to 100%.

with 5 int and +200% crit you might end somewhere around 15% crit

Valgor
02-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I know how it works; the bit about the melee character was supposed to be an exaggerated example.

Intelligence is the stat from which magic users benefit the most, but it's not quite doing them as much good as Strength does for melee-type characters.