PDA

View Full Version : toing and froing from town

Maledictus
02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Now that I need to be in town much more often (and need to be very quick about it at some times) the 'one time only' teleport feels a bit restricted. Do you agree? Is it a nice difficulty ramp or does it need some tweaking? I thought about having items that allow quick travel, like scrolls or so, but make them rare and expensive. I suppose that counters the 'one time only' teleport a bit... Maybe lift the 'one time only' restriction and add a price to using it?

Fosse
02-08-2011, 12:19 PM
I like it how it is. Because I'm forced to use my teleport either when I'm in danger or the town is under attack and I'm too far away from a gate, it's a meaningful decision, and it makes finding the stairs and gates on each level a priority.

There is a quest that will recharge your teleport stone that appears sometimes.

Bak
02-08-2011, 02:42 PM
There is a quest that will recharge your teleport stone that appears sometimes.

That was one of the quests I was glad to see added. Unfortunately, it only seems to come up when I don't need it, and not when I do. :D

PixelLord
02-08-2011, 03:12 PM
I'd like to option to complete the collect teleport stone materials quest, but the ability to solve it when I need to solve it; but I don't see how that could work with the way the present system is set up. ... Or maybe if you solve the teleport stone quest when you still have your old teleport stone, it will be placed as an item in your backpack?

Roswitha
02-08-2011, 03:37 PM
What if the teleport stones stacked like potions do.

Valgor
02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm fond of the idea of going back to the teleport stone being a "tangible" object in the player character's inventory, just like in Depths of Peril.
Din gives you one for free at the start of every town, and the Stewart will make you additional ones if you bring him the required obsidian,
which could become an extremely rare drop from monsters and chests.

Bak
02-09-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm fond of the idea of going back to the teleport stone being a "tangible" object in the player character's inventory, just like in Depths of Peril.
Din gives you one for free at the start of every town, and the Stewart will make you additional ones if you bring him the required obsidian,
which could become an extremely rare drop from monsters and chests.

Comments:
1) This would require putting in code that, at the start of a new town, takes away any existing teleport stones, then adds one back. Otherwise, I'd have my characters go through a bunch of level 1 towns (small, very slow), just to stockpile teleport stones.
1a) Maybe if a town is lost, don't start with a stone on the next town, as a penalty? :p
2) (evil leprechaun voice) "No, don't take-ah my pack space!" :D

Fosse
02-09-2011, 05:30 PM
It could also work as simply superimposing a numeral over the teleport stone in the UI if there is more than a single teleport left. Or adding a mouseover tooltip that shows how many are left.

Then there would be no need to mess with inventory space or items.

I still don't support adding lots more teleporting abilities. I would be okay with simply prohibiting the Teleport Stone quest from appearing if you haven't already used it in the current town.

Bluddy
02-09-2011, 06:01 PM
I like the rush to get to town, whether through the local gate or, if I haven't found it yet, through an adjacent level. Using the teleport stone is a real strategic decision right now, unlike in DoP, and the optional quest to refill it has real value because of the stone's unique power. I think the best types of optional quests are the ones that have real impact on the gameplay itself. As example, I wish the totem building/activating quests had as much strategic value as this quest.

Basically on this matter I'd personally like things left as is.

Max_Powers
02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
I also want it left as is.