PDA

View Full Version : Fire Mage Question

Arjun123
02-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I recently started playing a Reaver/Fire Mage hybrid, and it has been tremendous fun romping around, softening up foes from a distance with fireballs and then ravaging those that survive the initial explosions. But I am not sure that I am making full use of the Fire Mage class; I am basically only investing at this point in Fireball, Shield of Fire, Flame blade, and fire mastery (which also boosts the Reaver's Fire Strike). Eventually I'd also like to invest in Fire Elemental, but I was wondering if it is worthwhile investing in the other spells. I do not like cone attacks that aren't based on the default weapon damage (like Flame Strike), so I am not inclined toward Sweeping Flames. I am also wary of Fire Maelstrom, which doesn't seem as useful for a warrior/mage hybrid. Volcano sounds interesting, but I am not clear how it works. Can you use the cursor to cause the Volcano to appear wherever you wish? If so, that seems very useful! Any advice regarding the best use of this class for a warrior mage would be most appreciated.

DeathKnight1728
02-10-2011, 08:43 PM
What level are you? Once you reach 40 and up, enemies become much harder to face especially when playing a mage/warrior due to losing out on health gained. What i would suggest is terrorize as a helping skill. It not only lowers your opponents defense and attack, but you can stack it up to 4 times. What i do with both demonologist and reaver (since they both have skills like that), is i drop terrorize or w/e and then hit them with everyone while i am running. It works pretty well. As soon as one of them makes it through my defenses, i cast another terrorize on top of that one.

Not getting hit in the first place will be your only way of making through to 100. Since the reaver/firemage only receives a bonus of .50 to defense, that means with each dex point, you are getting 3.5. This wouldnt be bad normally as warriors dont have high defense compared to other classes, but you dont have a shield and or passives to defense. This is the only other defensive option to use. Terrorize, fire strike, and the 3rd skill could be anything. Besides fire mastery and twohanded weapon mastery, you should be good. To make this build amazing, get some faster cast speed gloves so fire strike will be a quick burst attack.

Arjun123
02-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Thanks, DeathKnight, for the extremely helpful answer. I just recently started playing the Reaver/Fire Mage hybrid, and am only up to level 14. As a result, I am still in the "carefree" stage in which I one-shot most monsters, and can tear through mobs with barely a scratch. I will definitely be on the lookout for faster cast speed gloves. What faster cast speed percentage do I need for the warrior mage to be feasible at higher levels?

Aet
02-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Staff and gloves both can be faster caster, so you may want one of your two quick-set outfits to include that and swap between the two as needed.

Do not underestimate maelstorm. Even at level one, it has the excellent effect of freezing everything else in place for a few seconds while you can keep going (or getting away... so long as rocks aren't being dumped on your head).

DeathKnight1728
02-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Staff and gloves both can be faster caster, so you may want one of your two quick-set outfits to include that and swap between the two as needed.

Do not underestimate maelstorm. Even at level one, it has the excellent effect of freezing everything else in place for a few seconds while you can keep going (or getting away... so long as rocks aren't being dumped on your head).

Aet is right. If you dont want to put a lot of points into maelstrom, you can leave it at lvl1 and just use it as a getaway strategy or something to waste some time to heal or drink and get your strength back.

Make no mistake, fire strike is fast as it is, you wont need as much faster cast speed as some of the higher spells. I would aim for .6 or .5 at first and see how that works. You will eventually learn how to use it really effectively and gather as many enemies at once to take out 3, 4 and maybe even 5 or 6 with one or 2 shots. This is a great spell not only because it gives decent damage but because its based on your weapon which is awesome.

Arjun123
02-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the excellent advice, DeathKnight and Aet. I had previously focused on playing melee oriented characters (warrior, rogue, and ranger), and have never played a caster. But I am moving in that direction with "warrior mage" type hybrids, namely a Reaver/Fire mage and an Archer/Sorcerer. Both have devastating attacks that are augmented by fire and lightning mastery, respectively, but I suspect that they will be glass canons at higher levels. Thanks for the excellent advice on making them viable.